This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Osteoporosis Is Reversing!

mamasaidso

mamasaidso Apprentice

I was really fretting over getting results of recent Dexa scan. Thought for sure it would be bad as last two showed a steady decline in bone mass. But, after being gluten-free since January and being faithful about taking calcium and starting weight-bearing exercise my test showed no osteoporosis in spine. It was completely normal and the severe osteoporosis in hips has been reduced to osteopenia and made a big improvement. I am so relieved about this. For a time I took Actonel and saw no improvement. My doctor was steering me toward the treatment with daily injections for two years. I wanted to give myself a chance to heal and it seems to be working. I have researched like crazy these last eight months and hound my doctors about vitamin levels. Finally have a handle on what I need and taking steps to improve my health. Have been on cloud nine all week. More determined than ever to maintain this and keep working on the osteopenia.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Awesome!! :) Awesome!! :)

It gives me hope. I have not had a DEXA scan, but early last year at the dentist he said he saw bone loss of about 20% in my jaw. I am only 39, so this scared me. This was before going gluten-free. My teeth were a little loose in the lower front after I bit down on a fork accidentally. They werent tightening very well, but since gluten-free they are snug as a bug in a rug. I too am taking calcium PLUS all of the 17 necessary companion nutrients to Calcium and upped my exercise. I am due to go back to he dentist next month, so I am hopeful he sees improvement. :)

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Awesome!! :) Awesome!! :)

DITTO!

Good for you for taking your health into your own hands. The natural way is the best!

tarnalberry Community Regular

congratulations!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Way to go!!!

I'm curious--did your doctor's jaw hit the floor? What did he (or she) SAY????

This is the sort of thing that can--and should--turn the whole pharmaceutical scam industry on its back, if doctors and the media would only REPORT these kinds of results!

mamasaidso Apprentice

I received my Dexa results via a PDF file. Didn't even have the experience of watching the look on her face. As far as she is concerned, she probably thinks the results are from medication from a prescription I never filled for Fosamax D. I thought about emailing her about it, but then thought, Nah. I'm not even sure she reviewed it or compared it to previous scans. With an office full of "assistants" and communications through "patient portals" I pretty much give up on the one to one experience with her. Kind've gives primary physician a new meaning. <_<

spunky Contributor

Congratulations on your good bones!

I've read that anyone with osteoporosis, even in the absence of other symptoms, should consider being tested for celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I received my Dexa results via a PDF file. Didn't even have the experience of watching the look on her face. As far as she is concerned, she probably thinks the results are from medication from a prescription I never filled for Fosamax D. I thought about emailing her about it, but then thought, Nah. I'm not even sure she reviewed it or compared it to previous scans. With an office full of "assistants" and communications through "patient portals" I pretty much give up on the one to one experience with her. Kind've gives primary physician a new meaning. <_<

You probably don't have a heckuva lot of spare time, but if you do, you might consider sending her a REGISTERED letter, telling her that

a) you never filled the Fosamax scrip

B) the results of both the previous scan and the latest one showing significant improvement

c) the fact that the only things that changed were diet and exercise, NOT meds

d) your belief that your osteoporosis was due to untreated celiac, and that you recommend that she test other patients with osteoporosis for celiac or gluten intolerance.

e) one or two studies from the internet showing the link

This puts a bit of pressure on her, you see. Since the letter is registered, it is proof that she received it, and that she now knows of the connection between celiac and osteoporosis.

If a future patient wants to sue her for not ruling out celiac, she won't be able to claim that she didn't know of the link, or that none of her other patients showed proof of recovery on a gluten-free diet.

Don't settle for that abysmal lack of communication! Leave the communications ball in her court--but do so with a registered letter, so that she knows just how important this is.

Archived