This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Egd Tomorrow

bjn12670

bjn12670 Rookie

Celiac Disease is a new discovery for me. I have read the forum at length and I feel like I am at the minority. My possible celiac disease was discovered after a got a stress fracture in my pelvic bone. The sports doctor told me this is a common injury in long distance runners, but he still requested I get a DEXA scan. My scan came back with mild bone loss. This prompted by doctor to do some blood work. This is where the suspician of celiac disease came from. My TTG/IIg tests showed positive for celiac. Actually, my doctor is quite positive that I have celiac. I was told that a normal reading for these antibodies is under 20. My results were over 250????? Anyways, I don't feel terrible. I have had constipation issues since my daughter was born in 2004 and I am often bloated and gasy.

Anyways, do my numbers make sense to anyone? I have my EGD tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have any insight to the procedure? I am nervous about the tube going down my throat. Do you get any immediate feedback from the docters? How long does it take for the lab work?

I am so tired of thinking "celiac" and I just want some answers. My doctor keeps saying this is just a formality and he is positive I have celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi and welcome :)

I tend to agree with your doctor. The EGD is nothing to worry about--I've had 2. For both, I was asleep and remembered nothing of the procedure. After the second, I had a minor sore throat for a day or two after, but that was it.

Sometimes, the doctor can see changes in the mucosa that would be consistant with Celiac--but you need to wait for the pathology report because the damage is microscopic. All labs operate on a different timetable, but the wait is roughly a week or so.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what we can do to help!

bjn12670 Rookie

Wow! This is my first forum ever! I didn't expect a response.

Thank you!

I will let you know what I find out.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

bjn,

I hope you are recovering well after your EGD today. I remember feeling a little funky for a day or two. Even if the biopsy does not show anything, continue to do some research on this forum and others. Most would agree that Celiacs need to avoid gluten even if there is no villi damage yet. (YET being the key). I've only been here 9 weeks, but these folks are great and very knowledgable! They back up their stuff with research articles.

SGWhiskers

bjn12670 Rookie

It's official! I am a newly diagnosed celiac! I went grocery shopping today and was totally depressed! I know it will get easier, but I am overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your kind words. I will be in touch often!

Lisa Mentor

Welcome! If we can be of any help, let us know. ;)

Archived