This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Those With Corn Intolerances?

B'sgirl

Corn sensitivity  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

B'sgirl Explorer

How sensitive are you? Can you have modified food starch derived from corn? Xanthan gum? Corn syrup? Confectioners sugar? Popsicles? Soda?

I ask because I just discovered that my 2 year old with celiac can't have corn either. I'm having a really hard time finding snacks for him that don't have corn, milk, and gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I cut the obvious sources of corn out of my diet... corn chips, corn cakes, corn bread, corn on the cob, corn cereal... I was already avoiding corn syrup because it has no nutritional value and tricks your body into thinking you're still hungry. I haven't checked my supplements for corn starch or started avoiding derivatives like citric acid. I was surprised how much of a difference it made!

It is possible to have an allergy to corn... but I think the problem for me (and for a lot of other people) is simply that corn is really starchy and that makes it difficult to digest.

Have you thought about using fruits and vegetables for snacks? My three-year-old daughter loves broccoli (both raw and cooked... it's easy to pop some out of the freezer), carrots, celery, slices of raw bell pepper, pears, apples, strawberries, melon... lots of different textures, flavors, and colors :) She also likes hard-boiled eggs and soy yogurt (even though she can eat the regular stuff). Gluten-free waffles are great too.

frec Contributor

I can't have corn, milk, or gluten either. I eat Snapeas--I get them at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Albertsons. He could eat Rice Chex too. My niece loved hummus when she was little--good protein. Can he have nut butters on rice crackers? Soy cheese? There is a really good Tofutti soy cream cheese--you can spread it on sliced meats (read the labels carefully--I like Diestel brand) and roll them up into little logs.

Just keep in mind that some people who have trouble with gluten have trouble with soy.

Jestgar Rising Star

I can deal with a little bit of corn in some form, maybe once a week. More than that and my joints hurt ( :ph34r: drat that Hallowe'en candy)

I usually eat no overt forms of corn. Might have corn chips at Mexican restaurant once a month or so. Never eat popcorn, whole corn, corn chips as snack, corn syrup (normally) or anything definitely made with corn.

I eat a lot of veggies as snacks. Sometimes some dried fruit. Lots of fruit/nut bars (but that probably doesn't work for a two year old).

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have removed nearly everything with high fructose corn syrup from my diet. I do still eat M&M's. I broke out of the mode and, a candy bar last weekend, and my tummy broke out in a nasty rash. I do not eat corn in any form anymore, no grains. I also do not use lotions or powders which contain corn.

RDR Apprentice

I've also needed to remove corn from my diet but luckily can have dairy. In stores, there seems very little that's corn-free at all but if you bake Carol Fenster and Roben Ryberg's books can be a great help. Just substitute Tapioca Starch and/or Potato Starch for Cornstarch, Guar Gum for Xanthan Gum and use raw sugar (plus a food processor/blender to make confectioner's sugar).

If you don't have time to bake or don't like baking Open Original Shared Linkuses Potato Starch and Tapioca Starch in thier products as well as Guar Gum in place of Xanthan Gum. You can buy stuff off thier site and they give free shipping. Most if not all thier foods are Gluten Free, Casein Free, Lactose Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free & Corn Free. The most important thing is thier food is delicious too :D.

B'sgirl Explorer

He can't have soy cheese, at least not the kind we have tried because it was all made with casein. He does fine with soy milk and soy flour. He eats veggies okay for snacks, but I need snacks I can take to church and leave there. He goes to nursery while I go to class and all the kids have things like cereal and fruit snacks (provided by the church). I bring his own bag of snacks. So far I have craisins, raisins, rice chex, and gluten/dairy/corn free chocolate chips ($6 a bag!), but I don't know if he even eats anything but the chocolate chips.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

Have a look at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet thread - many who are Gluten intolerant don't get better just from dropping gluten because they have a problem digesting carbs in general, including corn. Most gluten-free foods are VERY high in other sources of carb, ironically, higher even than wheat/gluten based baked goods.

We are following the SCD because it is a good way to go for healing the body. At grass roots level a lot of people are finding that the SCD benefits a lot of different health issues. If our gut is working properly we shouldn't have problems with any food. Intolerances are usually down to Leaky Gut allowing undigested food particles through into the bloodstream and behind Leaky Gut is rogue bacterial activity fuelled by - high carbs and sugar.

Good sites to look at for more info are 'breaking the vicious cycle" (BTVC) and 'Pecanbread'. There are also a lot of SCD recipe site springing up and Nicola Devlin's site is very good - she is on the SCD and makes a lot of gluten-free and SCD 'legal' goodies for her little boy, the recipes of which are listed -

Open Original Shared Link

Pretty much anything commercially processed will contain something that is not good for the body. Sadly the main motivation for these products is usually money, and whether they are good for us or not is immaterial! The processing procedures often render the 'food' into forms that our bodies cannot process. Instead of feeding us, they feed the rogue bacteria, they then get out of control, and we are then set for any amount or kind of disease. Our high-carb, high-sugar 'Western' diet has a lot to be answerable for.

Archived