This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oil Pulling

ShayFL

Amber M Explorer
Yes Mommy it is good. Ayurvedia has been around for thousands of years. They didnt use "refined" oil back then. :)

I'm over a week now and my teeth are definitely whiter. And the gums are healing. :)

I'm so excited to hear your gums are healing! Wow, I really think there is something to this. I'm going to hunt for my book I read years ago of Ayurvedia. Now it sparks my interest again. Thanks for getting this going Shay!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purple Community Regular
I think "toasted" means it isn't cold pressed or virgin oil. I read in my book, "Oil Pulling Therapy" by Dr. Bruce Fife, that it suposidly is okay to use non cold pressed oils and that some people have an allergy to the sesame. Try another oil, and I agree with Shay with it's original use that far back, the oils were not refined. Therefore, I would tend to think the unrefined cold press would be the best. Just my opinion.

Day 6 (I was off a day before). Had a pretty good day, slept very well, woke up totally rested. Hardly any neuro symptoms today. Teeth feel great, gums look good to me (what do I know), Totally normal bowels. I hate to keep mentioning that, but somehow I think it's involved with this oil pulling because it has been so long since that has been the case! My lower colon is not in agony as usual. I feel half human! The foot fungus thing disappeared completley. All good today. I am getting excited about it now!

Thanks for posting your great report! Good for you!!!

mftnchn Explorer

Well, not sure if it is the oil pulling or the other things I have been trying, but finally after weeks and weeks, my BM's are going again the last three days. And today I keep going and going, like my system is finally getting rid of what it needs to.

It could be the oil pulling though because initially I got worse, very bloated and uncomfortable.

ShayFL Enthusiast

It's official!! I have two areas where the gums have receded. Like when there is no tarter or gunk in them, there are no gums there. Lower front teeth. I had two little triangles of no gums and one of the areas is filling in!!! Yeah!!! I am so hopeful and when they both fill in (I am being positive) I will make an appt. with my dentist just to show them off. :) I cannot wait!! And they ARE whiter. Hubby finally noticed them this morning in the bathroom. They feel cleaner than they ever have.

I dont know if it is doing ANYTHING else with the rest of my body at this point. But the value for my mouth is worth the time and effort!

"Toasted" sesame means they toast the seeds before extracting the oil. They "brown" and "caramelize" them before pressing them. With cold-pressed, no heat is used. They are "raw" seeds with only pressure (you want "pressed" otherwise they have used a chemical) to extract the oil.

"Toasted" will not work according to all of the literature I have read. Plus it has a STRONG flavor. Regular cold pressed sesame doesnt have much taste at all IMO.

Rachel - I would try cold-pressed Sunflower first. It is recommended along with sesame. See how that goes and if not, then try another oil.

Happy Pulling everyone!!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Day 3, dare I say they look a little whiter, or wishfull thinking...I'll give it another few days-maybe I'll take a picture of them today and then compare next week. The only gum issues I have is some loss over my canines due to excessive brushing. 10 years ago they said I needed grafting, but had me switch to a Sonicare to see if that would help. It did prevent more loss, but eventually I will have to have the grafts. I will keep an eye on it and then see what the dentist says next month.

Amber M Explorer
Day 3, dare I say they look a little whiter, or wishfull thinking...I'll give it another few days-maybe I'll take a picture of them today and then compare next week. The only gum issues I have is some loss over my canines due to excessive brushing. 10 years ago they said I needed grafting, but had me switch to a Sonicare to see if that would help. It did prevent more loss, but eventually I will have to have the grafts. I will keep an eye on it and then see what the dentist says next month.

After Shay's report, maybe you won't have to have grafts. Thats what I am hoping too. All I know is my gums are looking very healthy. Day 7, woke up with the old leg twitching again and a fimilar pain down my neck area on both sides. I have been over everything I ate, can't figure it out. Bowels are not right either. I get discouraged easily. I know it's not all going to go away quickly, but I have no patience!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
"Toasted" sesame means they toast the seeds before extracting the oil. They "brown" and "caramelize" them before pressing them. With cold-pressed, no heat is used. They are "raw" seeds with only pressure (you want "pressed" otherwise they have used a chemical) to extract the oil.

"Toasted" will not work according to all of the literature I have read. Plus it has a STRONG flavor. Regular cold pressed sesame doesnt have much taste at all IMO.

Rachel - I would try cold-pressed Sunflower first. It is recommended along with sesame. See how that goes and if not, then try another oil.

Thanks Shay!

I'm definately gonna give this another try. I doubt it will do much as far as improving my health issues.... but its worth doing if it helps my gums and brightens my teeth. :)

I had wondered about the toasted oil because I figured I may have reacted to amines or something else that occured as a result of the "toasting". I was too scared to try it again with a different oil. If a chemical is used in oils that are not pressed then that could be why I reacted.

I dont tolerate any oils very well but safflower has been the one that seems to give me the least amount of problems. I wonder if it would work? I had problems with sunflower which is why I chose the sesame for OP the last time around.

I think I'll try sunflower.....if it doesnt work out I'll see if I can get any positive results with using safflower instead. I'll wait until after Xmas and then report back. :)

BY the way....I love the Xmas avatars!! I'm really having the Xmas spirit this year...enjoying every minute! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amber M Explorer
Thanks Shay!

I'm definately gonna give this another try. I doubt it will do much as far as improving my health issues.... but its worth doing if it helps my gums and brightens my teeth. :)

I had wondered about the toasted oil because I figured I may have reacted to amines or something else that occured as a result of the "toasting". I was too scared to try it again with a different oil. If a chemical is used in oils that are not pressed then that could be why I reacted.

I dont tolerate any oils very well but safflower has been the one that seems to give me the least amount of problems. I wonder if it would work? I had problems with sunflower which is why I chose the sesame for OP the last time around.

I think I'll try sunflower.....if it doesnt work out I'll see if I can get any positive results with using safflower instead. I'll wait until after Xmas and then report back. :)

BY the way....I love the Xmas avatars!! I'm really having the Xmas spirit this year...enjoying every minute! :D

I read that safflower oil is fine. Not toasted or anything though.

Day 8 for me. Have lower colon issues right now and still twitching and some numb tingling in the face. Not real excited today. I had a mild tooth ache last night where I have a mercury filling. I am worried about it falling out! It is really old too, like 40 years old, eke, I'm getting old!!

One thing I did was eat organic Cilantro last night because it is a natural "chelator" (sp). I work with heavy metals in my stained glass business so I decided to do it as a precaution. (I came back negative on the lead poisoning test about 3 months ago). So the tooth ache started after the Cilantro and I was wondering if it was drawing on the mercury even more than the oil, or the 2 together. What do ya all think? Shay?

My mouth feels good otherwise. I figure if I loose the filling, at least thats one mercury down! I just hope I make it through the holidays with no problem.... I tried to find clove oil today and the health food store was out!

purple Community Regular
I read that safflower oil is fine. Not toasted or anything though.

Day 8 for me. Have lower colon issues right now and still twitching and some numb tingling in the face. Not real excited today. I had a mild tooth ache last night where I have a mercury filling. I am worried about it falling out! It is really old too, like 40 years old, eke, I'm getting old!!

One thing I did was eat organic Cilantro last night because it is a natural "chelator" (sp). I work with heavy metals in my stained glass business so I decided to do it as a precaution. (I came back negative on the lead poisoning test about 3 months ago). So the tooth ache started after the Cilantro and I was wondering if it was drawing on the mercury even more than the oil, or the 2 together. What do ya all think? Shay?

My mouth feels good otherwise. I figure if I loose the filling, at least thats one mercury down! I just hope I make it through the holidays with no problem.... I tried to find clove oil today and the health food store was out!

Plz keep posting about the filling. So sorry about the toothache. I have many fillings so I don't want to try it if they are going to fall out. That would be a faster way but maybe not safe, plus I don't have the $ to refill them :(<_< Thanks!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

In my opinion it would be much safer to have the fillings fall out this way (no drilling). The exposure to mercury would be much higher if they are drilled out. I understand not having the money for replacements though.

purple Community Regular
In my opinion it would be much safer to have the fillings fall out this way (no drilling). The exposure to mercury would be much higher if they are drilled out. I understand not having the money for replacements though.

Thanks for your input!

Amber M Explorer

Ya, I'd rather have it fall out on it's own after I read about how they have to do it, and all of the precautions they have to take so the mercury doesn't spread. Hopefully I will be awake thought, OMG, I don't want to swallow it. It doesn't feel loose though and today the ache is barely there. The book said you could get a mild tooth ache. So maybe it will be alright. I don't have the money for fillings right now either. Non of my other 6 or so fillings are bothering me at all so far. I'll keep you all posted.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Glad it is feeling better. I dont have any mercury left in my mouth. I found a biological dentist nearby who did everything right (ventilation, dam, etc.). I did them 2 at a time till they were all done....5 visits. It is worth it IMO. I have no regrets there. My body temperature went up 2 degrees when there were all out!! They were suppressing my thyroid big time.

Anyway....I am still at it....I forget what day I am on...10 or so....I've been with the sesame...but going to change it up tomorrow and use coconut. Teeth still look good. No major changes yet. Still keeping an eye on those gums. :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Day 6. no major changes. My teeth are looking good. I won't have a definitive answer on all of this until I visit the dentist. Overall, my teeth and gums were in good condition and i don't have any fillings, so I can't see any changes there. I am interested to know why some days, after swishing for the same amount of time with the same pulling "gusto" sometimes it's still a yellowish tint and looks oily when I spit (yesterday) but today was white and frothy. I don't think I'm doing anything different...

My mouth does feel really clean though, and that feeling lasts all day, not just till coffee time :P

mftnchn Explorer

Something very weird today, some of the gums at the base of my teeth have a black line. The teeth seem to be the ones where I have crowns. I might have had this before but just didn't notice. But I don't think I had it before I started swishing.

Has anyone read anything about this?

I am thinking my teeth are somewhat whiter but they have a really long way to go. For sure they are cleaner, and the buildup seems to be disappearing. My dentist recommended last time 6 mo cleaning but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So it has been quite awhile now since cleaning but they look quite good to me now.

I'm still using sunflower oil but not sure it is cold pressed. Usually do it twice a day. I agree, my teeth feel quite clean all day.

Amber M Explorer
Something very weird today, some of the gums at the base of my teeth have a black line. The teeth seem to be the ones where I have crowns. I might have had this before but just didn't notice. But I don't think I had it before I started swishing.

Has anyone read anything about this?

I am thinking my teeth are somewhat whiter but they have a really long way to go. For sure they are cleaner, and the buildup seems to be disappearing. My dentist recommended last time 6 mo cleaning but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So it has been quite awhile now since cleaning but they look quite good to me now.

I'm still using sunflower oil but not sure it is cold pressed. Usually do it twice a day. I agree, my teeth feel quite clean all day.

The black line on the teeth with crowns, I do not know, but I read in my dental disease pamphlets that a black line near the gums is a sign of severe gum disease. I noticed my silver (mercury) fillings were black looking the other day rather than silvery. I assumed the oil was drawing at the metal. Do the crowns involve some kind of metal? Maybe thats why? Any one else?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I think the black line would be from metal....thats the most common reason for having black lines on the gum. Since you're saying that its only happening where the crowns are....I would think that metal is showing through. Even if your crowns are porcelain they would most likely still be fused with metal (unless they are fairly new). The area where the crown meets the tooth would probably be metal and the black lines you see are from the dark color of the metal.

If the lines werent there before doing OP....I wonder if the oil is having some affect on the crown that is causing the metal to start showing through??

If its not metal thats responsible for the black lines...then I dont know what else it could be.

mftnchn Explorer

Thanks for your ideas. I kind of think this is metal showing through. I'm going to just watch it and see if it changes over time. I'm thinking one possibility was that my gums were swollen a bit before and covering this up, and now they are improving, but need to build back up to normal levels.

I also think if these are metal I am going to make sure I know what metal is in there. If the dentist removed the amalgam fillings years ago but left mercury in there in these crowns I am going to be upset with them. It isn't a special dentist as I can't afford to switch, and my old dentist recently retired so I have a new one. He does seem to be very accommodating, they did a lot of research to make sure everything was gluten-free for me.

Amber M Explorer
Thanks for your ideas. I kind of think this is metal showing through. I'm going to just watch it and see if it changes over time. I'm thinking one possibility was that my gums were swollen a bit before and covering this up, and now they are improving, but need to build back up to normal levels.

I also think if these are metal I am going to make sure I know what metal is in there. If the dentist removed the amalgam fillings years ago but left mercury in there in these crowns I am going to be upset with them. It isn't a special dentist as I can't afford to switch, and my old dentist recently retired so I have a new one. He does seem to be very accommodating, they did a lot of research to make sure everything was gluten-free for me.

Good idea to check with the dentist.

I forget, I think I'm on day 9 or 10, but I was so sick yesterday, full blown gluten symptoms right now. Alot of neurological stuff as well as lower colon. Christmas Eve, my kitchen was full of gluten again and the biscut crumbs were just everywhere. I know for sure I did not eat gluten, but somehow got infected. I have made up my mind that next year will be "gluten free" at my house. I will have to perfect a few biscut recipes, because this was it for me. I was so depressed yesterday afternoon, I spent it in bed crying. It's still hard for me to understand how minute amounts, like a crumb can get me this sick.

Anyway, the oil pulling. My tooth that was bothering me was okay for a day or so, but today, it is sooo sensitive to heat and cold. But they all are right now, (just part of my symptoms) so I don't know if it's the pullling or the whole bigger picture yet. I wish the oil could pull the scrap of gluten out of me. I am also constipated (first time in a long while) which is always a sure sign of glutening for me.

My attitude sucks right now and I am very depressed. I don't know if thats gluten or just full blown disgust with husband and people that just think that I'm being far to "anal" about my kitchen right now. No one believes that one could be glutened that easily. I have a hard time believing it myself. But I know I did a lot of touching, but no eating. Had to clean up the poison. I'm purely fed up right now, but I do now understand people with severe allergies being "anal." I'll pull it together sooner or later, but I think I am really grieving it right now too. Thanks for listening to me ramble today.

Think I'll lay down now.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Amber,

I dont know if oil pulling is the best idea for someone who has amalgams. I was trying to read up on this the other day and alot of things I read would lead me to believe that it may not be safe.

I no longer have any metal in my mouth but personally, I would probably pass on oil pulling if I did. From what I understand it can pull metal...which may be good for someone who no longer has fillings. On the other hand, for someone who does have fillings I wouldnt recommend any type of treatment which is capable of pulling mercury (or any metal) from the fillings.

I didnt thoroughly read into this and I plan on looking into it furthur....but so far alot of what I read gave me the impression that it isnt safe.....and the recommendation for those doing oil pulling was to wait until after the amalgams are out.

I'm not sure if you were the one who mentioned that your fillings had turned black since doing the OP?? I would really do some research into this before continuing....especially since the fillings have changed in color and you are not feeling well.

purple Community Regular
Amber,

I dont know if oil pulling is the best idea for someone who has amalgams. I was trying to read up on this the other day and alot of things I read would lead me to believe that it may not be safe.

I no longer have any metal in my mouth but personally, I would probably pass on oil pulling if I did. From what I understand it can pull metal...which may be good for someone who no longer has fillings. On the other hand, for someone who does have fillings I wouldnt recommend any type of treatment which is capable of pulling mercury (or any metal) from the fillings.

I didnt thoroughly read into this and I plan on looking into it furthur....but so far alot of what I read gave me the impression that it isnt safe.....and the recommendation for those doing oil pulling was to wait until after the amalgams are out.

I'm not sure if you were the one who mentioned that your fillings had turned black since doing the OP?? I would really do some research into this before continuing....especially since the fillings have changed in color and you are not feeling well.

Thanks for your research, Rachel! I started checking into it last year and came to the same conclusion. I have lots of amalgams. I am still interested in learning more. My dd wants to try it. I told her after everyones month is over. She doesn't have any fillings...if only my mom made sure I brushed my teeth when I was little...hm <_< Plus I pretended to brush them in the 2nd grade ;) Alot of good that did. If you learn anything else, plz post if you can...thanks alot!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I need some advice from you guys! One of my old amalgam fillings started to fall apart a bit ago. Does anyone think that qualifies as an 'emergency' (doesn't hurt at all)? I found some holistic dentists in the area (sort of) but noone's open til Monday, but they all have the 'If this is an emergency, please contact:'

What do you guys think? I found a place that's open over the weekend but their answer was, "Well, there's no proof that removing amalgams hurts anybody and I guess we can put a rubber dam in there if you want." Wrong answer. Is there some kind of paste I can concoct at home and put in there temporarily?

Amber M Explorer
Amber,

OMG, I'm nervous now! I am going online to research. Let ya's know what I find......Thanks, Amber

Amber M Explorer
OMG, I'm nervous now! I am going online to research. Let ya's know what I find......Thanks, Amber

I'm back. I read so far, in my Oil Pulling Book that mercury fillings after about 35 years are mostly void of mercury as it has already leached into your body, everywhere! All of mine but one are over 35 years old. Of course he recommends you have them out. (I will be looking into to this, but only with all precautions recommended). So the Oil Pulling helps to get it out of the body. Spitting and cleaning the mouth well afterwards is written everywhere.

Another site says it gently, but effectively removes heavy all heavy metals. If your symptoms get worse, do not stop oil pulling as this is a sure sign it is working on healing the body. I am really glad to read this everywhere, because I feel so bad in every way right now. I also read it can bring up buried emotions too. (I've cried enough latley, maybe thats why!)

I also read that you can apply the oil to your feet and it detoxifies the body gently of all toxins including heavy metals. It said to never apply it the the head or you will have the worst headache ever.

Pretty much, so far, seems to be a good thing to do to leach the crap out of us. I am going to stay with it because I have full blown symptoms right now and have not eaten gluten, so what the heck, maybe something good is happening after all.......Let ya's know if I find more!

purple Community Regular
I'm back. I read so far, in my Oil Pulling Book that mercury fillings after about 35 years are mostly void of mercury as it has already leached into your body, everywhere! All of mine but one are over 35 years old. Of course he recommends you have them out. (I will be looking into to this, but only with all precautions recommended). So the Oil Pulling helps to get it out of the body. Spitting and cleaning the mouth well afterwards is written everywhere.

Another site says it gently, but effectively removes heavy all heavy metals. If your symptoms get worse, do not stop oil pulling as this is a sure sign it is working on healing the body. I am really glad to read this everywhere, because I feel so bad in every way right now. I also read it can bring up buried emotions too. (I've cried enough latley, maybe thats why!)

I also read that you can apply the oil to your feet and it detoxifies the body gently of all toxins including heavy metals. It said to never apply it the the head or you will have the worst headache ever.

Pretty much, so far, seems to be a good thing to do to leach the crap out of us. I am going to stay with it because I have full blown symptoms right now and have not eaten gluten, so what the heck, maybe something good is happening after all.......Let ya's know if I find more!

Thanks for posting. Mine must be up to 30 yrs old. Yuck...I want the mercury OUT!

Archived