Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeerGirl

Any Tips With Diet For Someone Who's Been gluten-free For Over A Year?

I've been gluten-free for a bit over a year and have done pretty well. Have had some glutenings. Most recent one this week was either eating at Chipotle (no problem before) or a dental alginate. Or something else entirely different from gluten.

Now that I've been at the diet for awhile I feel a bit over-loaded with info. It is as though I have too much information and am not sure how to 'organize' or use it. Have gone over my books, documents on the diet. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience??

The routine I've gotten is, if it says gluten free, I typically believe it. If I read the ingredients and there are no gluten-containing ingredients, I often believe it. If the ingredients have no gluten-containing ingredients *and* I have previously checked the company and know they say gluten-free I go ahead and eat it.

I get most confused with which flavorings, additives to be looking for, guidelines have changed it seems. What about glucose syrup made from gluten? I have the new guidebook from Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University is handy, still I feel confused.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'd bet your glutening came from dining out.

Do you have a print out of the companies which are safe? It may be helpful to bring that shopping with you.

I have a few folders of my most important stuff, next to my good Celiac books, and then I have a few word documents with info or links, as well as a "Celiac" folder on my favorites list that has information.

I don't have an answer on the "glucose" question - is there a specific product that you are interested in, that has this specific ingredient?

It is always good for all of us to re-evaluate how we are doing, gluten-free!

From the Canadian Celiac Association Pocket Guide:

GLUCOSE SYRUPS - ALLOWED

A purified concentrated water-soluble solution of sugars. Can be made from a variety of starches such as corn, potato or wheat. The manufacturing process renders glucose syrups gluten-free regardless of the source of the starch.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thank you. I just hate to think that the Chipotle did me in.

Do you find that you need to check things often still? As much as I've internalized, I am still feeling like there are complications.

What about products that do not contain any gluten but may have been "processed in a facility that handles wheat...." -- eat it or pass?

Also, thanks for the glucose syrup answer.

I don't check things that often anymore (in terms of calling companies) because I generally use the same products and brands....and so many products are made by companies that have good labeling practices. I occassionally email companies so that I can have it on file, but I don't remember the last time I actually called a company for a specific product that I wanted to use.

What are the complications you mentioned-maybe someone here can help?

Any fast food/restaurant that has wheat has the potential for cross contamination. There is one restaurant that I do very well with in my area, but every so often, I still get sick.

What about products that do not contain any gluten but may have been "processed in a facility that handles wheat...." -- eat it or pass?

This really depends on the individual. Some people do fine with these products, others do not.

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Thank you.

I think I really get stuck with additives, flavorings and other 'miscellany' on ingredient lists. Some gluten free lists I have suggest that any "flavorings" are suspect and should be researched, while others say they are fine.

Won't it be nice if/when everything is required to be labeled? (hoping....)

Also -- Roquefort, Bleu, Gorgonzola cheeses -- I hear they are ok as the bread mold they are grown from leaves no bread behind, and most domestic cheese does not have bread starter (still not sure if that is true). However I do encounter non-domestic or artisanal cheeses and I admit I've eaten it on the assumption that there just isn't any gluten in it once the cheese has developed.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

I think I really get stuck with additives, flavorings and other 'miscellany' on ingredient lists. Some gluten free lists I have suggest that any "flavorings" are suspect and should be researched, while others say they are fine.

I only stick to the companies that I know label any gluten, so it doesn't matter if it says 'additives, flavorings', etc.......they are safe unless they clearly say otherwise. If you haven't seen this site, yet, it will be a big help......

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

I can't help you on the cheese question.

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Thoughts?

Flavorings, etc. can be suspect if:

1. They are not on the lists of full disclosure ( http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm and http://www.glutenfreeinsd.org/product_updates.html)

2. All FDA products require wheat to be listed (per the 2006 FDA Food Allergen Labeling Law), so it can't be hidden at all, in any form.

3. After that, the concern would only be in non-disclosing companies, and not wheat....rye flavoring or oat flavoring, in my opinion, is rare, so most of the time you would have to worry about barley/barley malt. It depends on the food as to, in my opinion, I would follow up. For example, a can of veggie soup would be more likely(but certainly not necessarily!) to have undeclared barley, than say....a can of peaches.

If you have specific products that you aren't sure about, I'm sure someone here has an answer or opinion :)

Flavorings, etc. can be suspect if:

1. They are not on the lists of full disclosure (http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm and http://www.glutenfreeinsd.org/product_updates.html)

2. All FDA products require wheat to be listed (per the 2006 FDA Food Allergen Labeling Law), so it can't be hidden at all, in any form.

Brilliant linking to that site, very handy thanks.

This may be silly but I am still confused with how the 2006 law really works. This means "starch" on something has to be identified as wheat if it has it? If a label doesn't say wheat it means... no wheat in it? Does this go for all food, including imported (would that fall under FDA guidelines)?

Its not silly at all, but it is helpful to understand it.

Doesn't matter if the food is imported or not. If its sold in the US and regulated by the FDA, then the law applies.

Wheat must be declared and cannot be hidden (starch, flavoring, or any other ingredient). If you don't see wheat, it isn't in there.

Its not silly at all, but it is helpful to understand it.

Doesn't matter if the food is imported or not. If its sold in the US and regulated by the FDA, then the law applies.

Wheat must be declared and cannot be hidden (starch, flavoring, or any other ingredient). If you don't see wheat, it isn't in there.

happygirl - you've been so helpful, from the first time I joined here. Thanks for your help! :D

I guess I'm a little confused as well. I have been avoiding products with "natual flavorings" unless I have hard evidence that those do not contain gluten. Am I wrong that small amounts of gluten can be hidden there?

I do not eat anything that says it was made in the same factory as wheat. I find it nearly impossible that is there is wheat in the air etc that there isnt some of it in my food. Natural Flavors-- I call the company or look it up. It really comes down to logic. I just think...

"this is salsa (insert food naem :-)), do i really need the salsa so much, that I will risk being sick in the short term and long term, when i can just eat something else".

It can get very frustrating. But if with this disease we are supose to avoid gluten at all costs, then really we should avoid gluten at all costs. Its so easy to get relaxed -- but that little phrase above is what i say to myself to get it in persepective. Not worth it for one little bite of food.

Diagnosed Celiac Oct' 08 (blood test and biopsy)

Starting SDC Feb'09

Just trying to figure it out with a smile :-)

I guess I'm a little confused as well. I have been avoiding products with "natual flavorings" unless I have hard evidence that those do not contain gluten. Am I wrong that small amounts of gluten can be hidden there?

Wheat cannot be hidden, but others technically could be. However, if it is one of the companies with good labeling practices, then - no.