This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Crumbs?

Lynnie

Lynnie Apprentice

Ohhh how am I going to live without my homemade bread crumbs!?

Any good suggestions for this? I have no idea what to do about this. Do I have to live the rest of my life without my famous Eggplant Parmesan?

Life is just not worth living without that...LOL! Kidding of course.

Hoping there is something really good out there somewhere to substitute for this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PattyBoots Apprentice

Go to the Chex web site and get the recipe for the Italian Chex Mix. Make that, with the gluten-free Rice Chex (easy peasy), and then crush as needed to make Italian bread crumbs. I like to add double the spices and then a little dried parsley after crushing. You also need to keep the heat down a bit when you fry. Other than that, it's a completely acceptable substitute, IMHO.

Lynnie Apprentice

Heyyy! Wow...thank you so much. I am already learning so much.

So have you made these bread crumbs? Are they good I hope?

Lynnie Apprentice

I just went to that website and saved it to my favorites. It's late now but tomorrow I plan on checking that all out...that is for sure.

PattyBoots Apprentice

Do you really think I'd post with so much detail if that's not what I always use LOL? And my non-gluten-free husband doesn't know the difference. I also finely grate some extra gooooood parm in most of the time. I use them in my infamous stuffed zucchini in place of the crushed croutons and there's really no noticeable difference.

nasalady Contributor
Ohhh how am I going to live without my homemade bread crumbs!?

Any good suggestions for this? I have no idea what to do about this. Do I have to live the rest of my life without my famous Eggplant Parmesan?

Life is just not worth living without that...LOL! Kidding of course.

Hoping there is something really good out there somewhere to substitute for this.

The Chex idea will probably work, but if you really want bread crumbs, you should know that crumbs made from gluten free bread work just great! Have you tried to make bread yet?

There are some great recipes out there, but you can start out slow by getting a bread mix; two of the best are the Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread or Pamela's Gluten Free Bread mix. You can find them in Whole Foods Market. Since gluten free bread is more crumbly than regular bread anyway, and it dries out rather quickly, becoming more crumbly as time goes on, you'll find it makes wonderful bread crumbs! :)

Darn210 Enthusiast

The other thing that I've done when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to make bread is to use the frozen waffles . . . ummm . . . no longer frozen :lol::lol: My daughter prefers to eat the Van's waffles but the Trader Joe's are cheaper and that is what I would use in my recipe that required bread crumbs.

Now, I actually use bread . . . because nobody likes the "heels" and I just save them in the freezer and use them when needed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancy Kotlowski Apprentice

What great ideas everyone has added. Thanks for asking the question!!!! I use bread crumbs in alot of things and was worried about what to use. As a newbie at this at fisrt glance it is scary but once you read some advice from the vetrans and the smart things one can do, the task of keeping my husband Gluten Free seems a bit easier. Good luck

Roda Rising Star

I use Pamelas bread mix and make it in the bread machine and when it cools slightly I slice it very thin and dry it in a warm oven. Just put in the blender or food processor and I have bread crumbs. I store them in the freezer and when I need some I season what I need with italian seasoning and use in my recipes. I have found that you don't need as much as regular bread crumbs these I make seem to soak up any liquid more. BTW I don't like eating the bread plain, but makes great crumbs and the whole family love them. I also discovered that they brown quicker so we tend to do thinner pieces of whatever if we are browning.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Gluten Free Pantry French Bread for breadcrumbs. Like Ms Darn210, I use up the heels and slices that I cut wrong up that way. We don't notice any difference in taste with things like meatballs, meatloaf, etc.

I've dried out the slices and also made fresh breadcrumbs.

Lynnie Apprentice

I'm confused. Aren't Waffles made with Gluten?

Darn210 Enthusiast
I'm confused. Aren't Waffles made with Gluten?

There are gluten free toaster waffles available. Van's makes a couple of varieties (make sure it says gluten free on the package because they also make gluten waffles). Trader Joes also makes a gluten free waffle.

Here is the link to Van's so you can take a look:

Open Original Shared Link

Click on whichever product interests you and you will see what the packaging looks like.

I can find them at Whole Foods and my local Krogers. There for a while I could get them at my superWal-Mart but not anymore but perhaps other Super Wal-Marts still carry them.

Lynnie Apprentice

If I want to make bread crumbs out of the waffles, do I toast them in the toaster first? Or dry them out?

It seems like they might make really good bread crumbs. I am going to the store very soon to buy some of these and try them out.

Lynnie Apprentice

I just thought of something. I wonder if you could make a sandwich out of waffles. Maybe I could toast the waffles first and make one? Has anyone ever tried this?

Darn210 Enthusiast

I toasted my waffles first before making them into crumbs.

My daughter rarely eats her waffle as a waffle . . . she only uses one, but she will eat it with cream cheese, or with peanut butter, or with peanut butter and nutella.

psawyer Proficient

We make bread crumbs by taking slices of gluten-free bread and chopping them up and putting them in the blender. We use a variety of different breads depending on what we have in the kitchen. Freshly baked bread doesn't make good crumbs--it is best if it is a few days old. We do up several slices worth at a time, and freeze what we don't immediately use. We do this even if the original bread source had been previously frozen-it does not seem to cause a problem, despite the accepted rule that something that has been frozen once should never be frozen again.

lpellegr Collaborator

I make bread just for crumbs, since I don't have much use for slices. Bette Hagman's 4-flour bean bread recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet doesn't make great bread for slicing, but it makes great crumbs. I make a loaf or two, cut them into cubes, let them air-dry a day or two, and dry out in the oven at 250 for a few hours. Some go into the food processor for crumbs, which I keep in a ziploc bag in the freezer, and some get some olive oil and spices and go back into the oven to be croutons. But for summer, when I don't feel like heating up the kitchen to bake, the Chex crumbs sound like a worthy alternative in places where they won't be noticed like inside meatballs.

BTW, for crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs, a Depression-era cook told me you can substitute things like cooked rice or potatoes to add moisture and stretch the ground meat. And crushed Chex or gluten-free Rice Krispie-type cereal make an excellent breading for baked fish. Dip the fish in melted butter, shake in a bag of crumbs, pour the remaining crumbs and butter over the fish on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Pardon me while I drool.

Lynnie Apprentice

Darn it...we had a really busy day today. Had a yard sale. While we had the yard sale me and my partner, her name is Mitzi btw, took turns mowing the lawn and I also cleaned and organized the garage while everything was outside. It was about 100 degrees today. Ugh. That's one thing I am still not used to living in the south. The summers are so humid! I can take the heat, it's the humidity that is hard to take.

After we closed up the Yard Sale, came in, showered and got comfy, I decided to go to the store because I needed a few things for dinner. There is a grocery store about 2 minutes up the street from us. I went there to get the things I need for tonight and I also wanted to pick up the Gluten Free Waffles. Just my luck, they don't sell them there. Mitzi has to work tomorrow and she told me that she is going to go to WalMart after work to pick up the waffles for me on her way home. I can't wait to try them.

Tonight for dinner, I am going to make salad, french fries and, I am going to make some hamburger patties. First, I am going to cook some bacon and set that aside. I am going to put my very favorite Chili Garlic Sauce, or Sambal, in the oil that I am going to cook the hamburger patties. I am cooking onions and mushrooms with the patties. We both love Goat Cheese. I am going to put some goat cheese on the top of the patties and then cover that with the onions and mushrooms. I also have a garden growing outside so I will put some homegrown Basil, Parsley and Rosemary...also some garlic powder and salt and pepper.

Definitely a very fattening meal but we both worked very hard today and I think we deserve it. Yummmm, I just can't wait!

Archived