GlutenGalAZ

Vitamins -- When To Take

Rate this topic

Hi.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on when is the best time to take vitamins.

I use to take mine in the morning with breakfast but forgot one day and started them at night before I go to bed recently.

I heard in the past that at night is the best b/c they stay in your system longer or something like that.

Do you think it matters when you take your vitamins (morning vs night) or no?? I've been meaning to switch back over to the morning so just wondering.

Thanks

I know that you should take iron and calcium at least a couple hours apart because the calcium would interfere with the iron absorption, and I've been told that it's good to take Vitamin C with iron. I'd be quite interested in when others take what vitamins...

I was just at the endocrinologist last week and she said to break the dose apart (example, my calcium supplements, two per day equal a dose) and take one in the morning and one in the evening because the body can only absorb so much at a time.

I was just at the endocrinologist last week and she said to break the dose apart (example, my calcium supplements, two per day equal a dose) and take one in the morning and one in the evening because the body can only absorb so much at a time.

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's better to cut the pill in half. It puts less stress on your kidneys and liver.

Our bodies weren't meant to handle mega doses of vitamins anyway.

Also, you might want to consider taking organic food based vitamins instead of synthetic ones if you already aren't. I find they tend to be more easily absorbed and assimilated. I like New Chapter's line a lot.

Never thought about cutting some of my vitamins in half, but that does make sense when you mention it.

I had thought about taking separate my Multi Vitamin and the Super B Complex pill one in the am and one after work type of thing and then split my other pills with those two.

Thanks for the pointers.... please keep them coming. I think this is a good topic with all the vitamins we all take.

Thanks again.

I take half in the morning and the rest at night with two exceptions. I only take calcium in the morning as I have a hard time swallowing it at night, sometimes it gets stuck. I'm afraid of completely choking. I can swallow it fine in the morning. ? I also only take B12 in the morning or early afternoon as it can interfere with my sleep.

Never thought about cutting some of my vitamins in half, but that does make sense when you mention it.

I had thought about taking separate my Multi Vitamin and the Super B Complex pill one in the am and one after work type of thing and then split my other pills with those two.

Thanks for the pointers.... please keep them coming. I think this is a good topic with all the vitamins we all take.

Thanks again.

Do not take your vitamins within an hour of drinking coffee, tea, or wines (not that you'd be drinking wine for breakfast!) as they contain tannins and tannins will greatly inhibit absorption of your vitamins. This came from a good MD and is not something I read in some flaky nutritional book! ;) I also break up the dose of calcium I take. I get my supplements from an MD....you cannot buy these over the counter. The calcium supplements are only 250 mg of calcium each so it makes it easy for me to stagger the doses. Seems like all I do is swallow pills all day BUT they have helped tremendously and I rarely get sick these days....not even a cold. I have no intention of being vaccinated for the H1N1 flu because I honestly don't think I will need it. Vitamins and good food make such a HUGE difference....and the ever continual hand washing!

The water soluable vitamin will be eliminated in the urine at a certain point, so my Doc told me to split my multis and take 1/2 am and 1/2 pm.

so is my multi vitamin with iron and calcium worthless? lol I always wondered this since I am against taking pills for calium. I dont eat dairy but drink 2 servings of calcium enhanced OJ everyday.....and then I hear that citrus pulls calcium from the body.....so I pretty much give up....the only deficiency i've had recently was potassium.....and I eat tons of it...but drink a lot of tea...so i figured that is the reason?

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I split my vitamins from all at one time to couple in the am and the other 2-3 afer work. Thinking about cutting my multi in half and doing half in the am and half after work.....

Thanks again

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I split my vitamins from all at one time to couple in the am and the other 2-3 afer work. Thinking about cutting my multi in half and doing half in the am and half after work.....

Thanks again

Before you cut any pill in half contact the company and make sure it is safe to do so. This also applies to script meds.

Before you cut any pill in half contact the company and make sure it is safe to do so. This also applies to script meds.

Thanks.... I think I will stick to just separating the vitamins some in the am and some after work.

:)