This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long To Heal A Leaky Gut?

pchick

pchick Rookie

Hi All,

I'm newer here, was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Gluten Intolerance with Leaky Gut by my Naturopath. He said since I'm so super sensitive right now, to avoid all grains and sugars (except honey occasionally).

Boy ~ it's really helping a lot... I feel SO MUCH BETTER already!!!! BUT: I don't know much about the "leaky gut" thing. Specifically, how long does it take to heal? There are so many gluten-free foods out there with rice and other grains that I'm excited to try. I'm afraid tho because I'm feeling so good, I don't want to mess it up... so I'm wondering how long before I should give those products a try.

Also... does anyone suffer from an intense burning sensation in the low low back? This pain has mellowed out for me with the gluten-free diet... I'm imagining pieces of food slipping out through the small intestine and just hanging out down there rotting and creating gasses ~ could very well be the reason for the low back burn! I would love to hear if anyone else has that.

I have to say, it's kind of exciting reading all the boards here and seeing all these symptoms that I've had my whole life talked about by so many people. I thought (was told for years) that these symptoms were all in my head!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

I'm not sure about the burning in the lower back but its not going to be unusual for all the different grains and such to cause gas for some time. I believe I had a leaky gut...my docs knew nothing about stuff like this. So, I was acting on my own after lots of time and research online. My doc DID say I needed to put more of the good acidophilus you find in yogurt back into my intestines. Problem with that is that I'm very intolerant of dairy also. I looked and looked for vitamins and info on vitamins and supplements that were at least cross-contaminated before I found Kirkman Labs. They have alot of gluten-free, casein-free supplements and are wonderful to work with. I found some acidophilus and still take them religiously. Foods that I am not intolerant of was giving me all kinds of trouble and not digesting well simply becuase of the leaky gut. After 2 wks I could tell a big difference. The salads weren't so hard on me anymore.....foods with seeds (strawberries and such) weren't so hard on me. After a month, I feel like my leaky gut was healed. It sure made a big difference. That's why I continue to take them. Good luck!

pchick Rookie

great news jststric! I like the idea of my gut healing quickly :) I AM feeling better already... my doctor is a naturopath/MD and put me on probiotics, enzymes, and he also wants me to take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water 15 mins before eating. I'm not sure what the apple cider vinegar does... I'll have to ask him to be more specific, but between that and no grains/sugars... this is working.

it's REALLY REALLY nice not having heartburn all the time too! sometimes you don't even know how much it's really bothering you till it's gone!!

I'll check out kirkman labs ~ I need to get a multi-vitamin too

glutengal Contributor
great news jststric! I like the idea of my gut healing quickly :) I AM feeling better already... my doctor is a naturopath/MD and put me on probiotics, enzymes, and he also wants me to take 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water 15 mins before eating. I'm not sure what the apple cider vinegar does... I'll have to ask him to be more specific, but between that and no grains/sugars... this is working.

it's REALLY REALLY nice not having heartburn all the time too! sometimes you don't even know how much it's really bothering you till it's gone!!

I'll check out kirkman labs ~ I need to get a multi-vitamin too

chatycady Explorer

Starchy foods, dairy and grains give me that burning low back pain. Dairy will also give me a burning pain between my shoulder blades.

Glad you are doing better. I've been grain, sugar, starch free for 10 months and am doing really. Everyone is so different, but I wouldn't think one month is long enough to be healed. More like 6 month or a year.

Archived