Lynayah

Once A Person Has Gone Gluten-free, Is It Normal To Have A Heightened Sensitivity To Gluten?

Rate this topic

Short version: Once a person has gone gluten-free, is it normal to have a heightened sensitivity to gluten?

Optional: Here's the long version:

I am currently eating gluten every day in preparation for a Celiac test in August.

Prior to this, I would have days where I would eat gluten and days were I would not. Some days, I thought I wasn't eating gluten but in fact was probably eating hidden gluten - and on those days I would be symptomatic.

Then I studied about true gluten-free eating, and for a two week period I tried to go gluten-free.

During those two weeks, my symptoms disappeared except for when I accidently ate gluten twice. On those two times, my body exploded with GI problems.

Then, University of Chicago told me that I needed to eat gluten every day -- a couple slices of bread would do, in preparation for the Celiac test.

For the first couple weeks, I was really uncomfortable, but now my heightened sensitivity seems to be less, which I find confusing to say the least!

It seems as though once I go without gluten, my sensitivity increases.

My questions:

1- If a person is eating gluten every day is it normal for heightened sensitivity (in some people - I understand everyone is different) to subside a bit?

2- Once a person has gone gluten-free, is it normal to have a heightened sensitivity to gluten?

Thank you,

Lyn

1- If a person is eating gluten every day is it normal for heightened sensitivity (in some people - I understand everyone is different) to subside a bit?

2- Once a person has gone gluten-free, is it normal to have a heightened sensitivity to gluten?

Thank you,

Lyn

1 - This sounds plausible.

2 - Absolutely! I never had a direct reaction to gluten before my diagnosis but after only the first two weeks of going gluten free I had a reaction to the fairly small catholic communion host. It was very surprising. I have had a couple of accidental glutenings since then with reactions which never happened before. It helped confirm to myself what the blood and biopsy had already diagnosed -- before that I had no clue that gluten was a problem.

Good luck with your test in August but I have a feeling I know what the outcome will be.

1 - This sounds plausible.

2 - Absolutely! I never had a direct reaction to gluten before my diagnosis but after only the first two weeks of going gluten free I had a reaction to the fairly small catholic communion host. It was very surprising. I have had a couple of accidental glutenings since then with reactions which never happened before. It helped confirm to myself what the blood and biopsy had already diagnosed -- before that I had no clue that gluten was a problem.

Good luck with your test in August but I have a feeling I know what the outcome will be.

Thank you, Zero!!!!!!!