Desy

Gluten & Fatigue

Rate this topic

For those of you who have experienced fatigue, how long did it take to reacquire your energy? Did anyone experience chronic fatigue disorder masked as/as a result of a gluten allergy or celiac disease? If so, how are you coping?

I appreciate your responses, as I am having a hell of a time with fatigue currently.

I was always tired before going gluten free but was never diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. It's not been about 4 months since going gluten free and after about 2 months did I really feel a difference although I noticed a slight improvement the week I went gluten free.

I also just went to an allergist and found out I'm allergic to milk, eggs, some meats and some fruit. So eating all those foods after going gluten free were also making me feel very tired, so hopefully I will feel even more like a normal person after finding that out.

It sucks to be tired all the time but it will get better!

I started taking B12 to help with my fatigue although I've never been tested for deficiencies. It really helps me.

My fatigue improved a lot when I went gluten-free. But I really zapped it with B12. Now if I forget for a couple of days, it gets me again.

My fatigue improved a lot when I went gluten-free. But I really zapped it with B12. Now if I forget for a couple of days, it gets me again.

How much B12 is good to take?

My pill bottle says take up to 3 pills daily. I take all 3 and it seems to be the right dose for me. I get the kind that dissolves under your tongue. The brand is Nature Made (I think) and they say gluten free on the bottle.

Amyleigh--

Are yours 1000 mcg sublinguals, or are they a smaller amount? I've been taking just one of these a day since it seems like such a large amount -- but if it's okay to take more than that, I certainly will.

~Emily

My pill bottle says take up to 3 pills daily. I take all 3 and it seems to be the right dose for me. I get the kind that dissolves under your tongue. The brand is Nature Made (I think) and they say gluten free on the bottle.

Are yours 1000 mcg sublinguals, or are they a smaller amount? I've been taking just one of these a day since it seems like such a large amount -- but if it's okay to take more than that, I certainly will.

B vitamins are water-soluble, so, whatever is above what you need, your body will get rid of through urine. You can't OD on B12.

I was taking 3 of the 1000 mcg's a day for awhile. I also found vitamin D to be incredibly helpful for my fatigue. You have to be a bit more cautious of vitamin D. There is a great debate about whether you can OD on it, although current medical opinion is that you can. It requires a large amount (more than most would supplement), but a risk nonetheless. I would recommend having your level checked before you start taking a supplement. Although most, if not all, multivitamins have around 1000 iu of D... ;)