This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Have To Admit It!

Lexi

Lexi Enthusiast

So, I have to admit it, and this is the only place I can do it. I recently glutened myself. It was my Anniversary, and my Husband and I were going to my favorite place to eat, "Stonewood". I ate bread, bruschetta, croutons, and a huge piece of chocolate cake. It tasted SO GOOD, and I haven't smiled so much in a LONG TIME. I didn't know how my body would take it, but now I am really regretting it! I knew I would probably be sick for a few days, but it has been almost 3 weeks now, and I'm still not back to normal. Is it normal for this to go on for so long???? I'm still have bloating, weight gain, constipation, fatigue, muscle pain, depression, and frequent crying spells. I have to take a nap almost everyday, and my body just hurts. All my clothes feel tight because I am so bloated. When will this go away?? I don't know why I did it because I already had a lot of health issues going on, but it made me so happy to go into the restaurant without asking for the gluten free menu. And, the food tasted SOOOOO AMAZING!! I just want to feel better NOW, and NEVER imagined it would go on for this long.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Three weeks does seem to me to be a long time. It has been a long time since I had a gluten incident, but I recovered in about two weeks, Major symptoms were gone in a week.

The amount of gluten could be a factor. It sounds like you ingested a lot. :(

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I don't know how long your symptoms will last, but I do have a suggestion for special meals. If you can't find a restaurant to make you the delicious special occasion food you want you could try hiring a chef to come to your home and make you that special meal. That way you don't get sick. I have met and heard of a few private chefs interested in or already making meals for people with Celiacs. Good luck!

YoloGx Rookie

The Last two times I got glutened (one from breathing in wheat flour dust and the other time from a kiss) it took me five weeks both times to get over it. I could hardly believe it. It will pass, but I bet you won't make the same mistake twice, if you can help it!

Meanwhile, eating more simply and detoxing with some liver and lymph cleansing herbs plus exercising really does help. A sauna or two might help too.

Bea

PS--and yeah, they have these great tasting gluten free cake mixes etc. that you can buy and either make yourself or have a trusted friend make for you who uses all gluten free baking gear etc. I wouldn't recommend eating sugary food like this all the time, but why not for a celebration that doesn't kick you in the ass so hard like this last one did, eh? Also there are restaurants like PF Chang and Outback that do have gluten free menus. You have to remind their asses (wash their hands, use separate equipment and separate ovens etc.), however if you do, its fairly safe.

Guest missmyrtle

Well, Mmmm...I guess now you know and that will be the end of cakes but don't beat yourself up about it or panic about the symptoms lasting so long.

I am currently going through a similar thing as I ate fish in batter in a supposedly gluten-free meal.

When this happens I find being on here reassuring as it all to easy to think it is something more sinister. That was a load of gluten for your poor body to deal with and even with the small amount I had I am so swollen up and in pain that leaving the house is impossible. It has been five days and yes, I would expect from past experience that it will be three weeks plus before all is back to normal so don't panic:)

ranger Enthusiast

I've only been glutened by trace amounts, and it usually lasts at least 3 days. I cna't imagine eating as much as you -I would probably be sick longer. Sure hope you get better.

twe0708 Community Regular
So, I have to admit it, and this is the only place I can do it. I recently glutened myself. It was my Anniversary, and my Husband and I were going to my favorite place to eat, "Stonewood". I ate bread, bruschetta, croutons, and a huge piece of chocolate cake. It tasted SO GOOD, and I haven't smiled so much in a LONG TIME. I didn't know how my body would take it, but now I am really regretting it! I knew I would probably be sick for a few days, but it has been almost 3 weeks now, and I'm still not back to normal. Is it normal for this to go on for so long???? I'm still have bloating, weight gain, constipation, fatigue, muscle pain, depression, and frequent crying spells. I have to take a nap almost everyday, and my body just hurts. All my clothes feel tight because I am so bloated. When will this go away?? I don't know why I did it because I already had a lot of health issues going on, but it made me so happy to go into the restaurant without asking for the gluten free menu. And, the food tasted SOOOOO AMAZING!! I just want to feel better NOW, and NEVER imagined it would go on for this long.

Wow, I hear what you are saying about wanting to celebrate once in a while but you really went overboard! Instead of all of those things you should have just agreed to one item and see how your body reacted. I love Stonewood and their chocolate cake is to die for. (Excuse my choice of words) :rolleyes: I told my husband too that I might just give in once or twice a year and have one item of my choice, but you went for many which was obviously a big mistake. I have only know about my disease for a little over a week and not sure how I will make it. I am so picky with foods and so far haven't found any non-gluten foods I like except for Rice Chex. Hope you feel better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Northern Celiac Newbie

Good Lord,

I know you had a craving for normal food lexi, but was it really worth it? I miss "normal" food but not enough to want to make myself sick. I have worked so hard to get healthy I can't imagine doing what you have done. Have you been to your family doctor? When I have a problem and accidently gluten myself he prescribes prednisone and cipro

Best of Luck

Mike

Lexi Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies and support! I feel so much better after getting that off my chest. I would Never tell my family because I know they would be so disappointed, but they just DON'T UNDERSTAND since they have Never walked in my shoes. I have been trying to eat simple foods, and I have been taking a lot of detox baths, which really do help me a lot. Starting to finally feel a little better.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Good Lord,

I know you had a craving for normal food lexi, but was it really worth it? I miss "normal" food but not enough to want to make myself sick. I have worked so hard to get healthy I can't imagine doing what you have done. Have you been to your family doctor? When I have a problem and accidently gluten myself he prescribes prednisone and cipro

Best of Luck

Mike

Random question- why would your doc prescribe an antibiotic for a glutening?

Northern Celiac Newbie
Random question- why would your doc prescribe an antibiotic for a glutening?

In answer to your question JN we (my doctor)have tried Immodium,but it doesn't work worth a damn when the monster comes out of it's cave(diahorrea). I have tracked what we have done and the cipro and prednisone works. If your next question is am I sure about the celiac disease. Most definately, if you've ever read a pathology report for a celiac diagnosis mine came back as a 3 out of 4 on the marsh scale(destructive).

I can't tell you why the cipro works but it does.

msmini14 Enthusiast

I remember about a month after I went gluten free I went to a b-day party and I ate so much wheat it wasnt funny. I ate pasta, garlic bread, cupcakes all sorts of stuff I went on this crazy binge and it was soooo good.

BUT that was the last time I ever ingested wheat on purpose, I learned my lesson that day. I was sick for over a month, I didnt think I would ever recover. It will pass but you have to give it time. I hope this was a good learning experience for you, mine was.

When I first found out I had celiac I told myself, hey I can give myself a wheat treat every now and then but after that day I havent even thought about it.

The Outback has a great dessert, so tasty but I still think I get reactions from them.

I always used to enjoy cooking but now I love it. Do you ever experiment with cooking? There is so much good food out there for us.

One of my favorite main dishes are veggie enchiladas (yes I eat meat), so good.

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hi Lexi,

Hope you are feeling a little better. It might help you cleanse your system if you do what I do each day. I start with a fresh pineapple and eat as much as I want for breakfast. Two hours later I either eat a pineapple smoothie or a fresh orange smoothie, made with fresh oranges, frozen orange juice, Stevia and vanilla. A couple of hours later I have soy protein powder or a vegetable stir-fry, and sometimes I add chicken or fish as well. The fresh fruits keep your system moving, and other fruits that work well are strawberries, kiwis, papaya and mangos. They work well when your stomach is empty and before you start eating soy, starchy vegetables or meats. I hope that you'll be able to find a diet that you enjoy and can live with. I have intolerances to all grains, all milk & dairy, egg whites, yeast, casein, whey, and some food additives so I stick with meats, fruits, and vegetables.

brigala Explorer
Wow, I hear what you are saying about wanting to celebrate once in a while but you really went overboard ... I told my husband too that I might just give in once or twice a year and have one item of my choice...

TWE -- I really hope you reconsider. I know you're new to the diet, but there really is NO CHEATING. It's not like a weight-loss diet where a few splurges now and then won't hurt you. Try to learn from others' mistakes and don't make your own, okay? :-)

It's hard for me to believe there is only one non-gluten food you like. Do you like potatoes? They're gluten-free. Do you like apples? They're gluten-free. Do you like rice? It's gluten-free. Do you like fish? gluten-free unless you ADD gluten to it. See what I mean? At first it seems like you're just cutting everything out, but in reality there is way more you CAN eat than CAN'T.

It's not just about avoiding a bout of the Big D or figuring it's worth a few stomach cramps in order to enjoy that slice of cake. Celiac KILLS. If you were an alcoholic, would you go to an AA meeting and say, "Well, I'm quitting now, but I've just GOT to have my champagne on New Year's Eve." NO! Obviously, most people do fine with an occasional drink, and many do fine having a glass of wine daily, but for an alcoholic it is POISON and they just don't get to cheat. You know that, right? Celiac is EXACTLY THE SAME in this regard. You. Just. Can't. Cheat.

Obviously, each of us makes his or her own choice as to whether to believe this and how closely to stick to it. Nobody can make the choice for you.

The good news is that there are lots of wonderful foods out there that are naturally gluten-free. And have you tried the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake? If not, go get some tonight. Order it on Amazon if you can't find it locally. Believe me, if you like cake, the case won't go to waste. ;-)

-Elizabeth

StephanieM Newbie

OMG, i hate to depress you further.. But I glutened myself by accident in a big way with oats, that I thought were gluten free. This was back in Feb.. my immediate reaction was SOOO bad, I thought I had the stomache flu, I PUKED that same night in the middle of a registered massage.. IT was sooo bad.. ANyway, no word of a lie, in terms of my bowels, it took my body more than a month to get back to normal... I couldn't believe how long it took. I was eating flaxseed by the pound to help move everything along.. My other symptoms didn't last that long, but definitely the digestive aspect did...

twe0708 Community Regular
TWE -- I really hope you reconsider. I know you're new to the diet, but there really is NO CHEATING. It's not like a weight-loss diet where a few splurges now and then won't hurt you. Try to learn from others' mistakes and don't make your own, okay? :-)

It's hard for me to believe there is only one non-gluten food you like. Do you like potatoes? They're gluten-free. Do you like apples? They're gluten-free. Do you like rice? It's gluten-free. Do you like fish? gluten-free unless you ADD gluten to it. See what I mean? At first it seems like you're just cutting everything out, but in reality there is way more you CAN eat than CAN'T.

It's not just about avoiding a bout of the Big D or figuring it's worth a few stomach cramps in order to enjoy that slice of cake. Celiac KILLS. If you were an alcoholic, would you go to an AA meeting and say, "Well, I'm quitting now, but I've just GOT to have my champagne on New Year's Eve." NO! Obviously, most people do fine with an occasional drink, and many do fine having a glass of wine daily, but for an alcoholic it is POISON and they just don't get to cheat. You know that, right? Celiac is EXACTLY THE SAME in this regard. You. Just. Can't. Cheat.

Obviously, each of us makes his or her own choice as to whether to believe this and how closely to stick to it. Nobody can make the choice for you.

The good news is that there are lots of wonderful foods out there that are naturally gluten-free. And have you tried the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake? If not, go get some tonight. Order it on Amazon if you can't find it locally. Believe me, if you like cake, the case won't go to waste. ;-)

-Elizabeth

Brigala, Thanks for all the information. I do understand what you are saying and will try the gluten free cake. I just bought some. So far everything I have tested has tasted horrible! Namaste pancake and waffle mix and some chocolate chip mix from Whole Foods. It's the mix that comes in a bag with chocolate chips in them. The bag is all clear. Don't remember the maker. Tonight I will try gluten free pasta. Hope I like it! I am a big ice cream eater so at least I have that to look forward to. (Edy's Neopolitan) Thanks for the support.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Brigala, Thanks for all the information. I do understand what you are saying and will try the gluten free cake. I just bought some. So far everything I have tested has tasted horrible! Namaste pancake and waffle mix and some chocolate chip mix from Whole Foods. It's the mix that comes in a bag with chocolate chips in them. The bag is all clear. Don't remember the maker. Tonight I will try gluten free pasta. Hope I like it! I am a big ice cream eater so at least I have that to look forward to. (Edy's Neopolitan) Thanks for the support.

The mix you're talking about is Bob's Red Mill, some of those mixes have bean flour, and that hits a lot of people as gross. Try the Bob's cornbread mix and pancake mix, and the Gluten Free Pantry chocolate chip cake, all very good.

A few things you should try as 'replacement' foods:

Tinkyada pasta

Against the Grain baguettes or 'bagels' (makes unreal garlic bread)

Aleia's white bread (needs toasting)

Aleia's pignoli nut cookies

Jennie's coconut macaroons

Garden of Eatin tortilla chips

Kinnikinnick donuts

Kinnikinnick personal pizza crusts

Glutino cheddar crackers

Crunchmaster crackers

Just a few off the top of my head. I can bake pretty much anything, and this stuff's expensive, so we usually don't buy this stuff, but it's GOOD. My boyfriend is usually the one who buys it, and he's not even Celiac.

Lexi Enthusiast

This is driving me crazy!! I have totally LEARNED my lesson!! I am STILL having digestive issues. My food makes me feel SO FULL, and I am bloated for hours. I feel pretty good in the morning, but as soon as I eat, the bloating and gas start all over again. Plus, I have put on 5 pounds that I CANNOT lose. Also, I feel so tired and still nap everyday. Going on a month now. Bleep Gluten!!!!!

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

Twe, I have two suggestions for you.

One, don't rush into the gluten-free grains. Someone told me when I first started (about three months ago) that the gluten-free grains were going to taste bizarre for the first couple weeks of detox. It took me about three weeks before specialty flours didn't have an "off" taste.

Two, I learned fairly quickly that mixes don't work for me--they come out too gritty, too dry, too crumbly, or too wet. With tweaking, both my sister (who eats gluten) and I have made gluten-free bread and cookies from mixes, but it took every bit of combined experience to pull it off. Recipes, amazingly, have been far easier for me to cook with. I still haven't found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that works for me, but I have found other recipes. My favorite recipe at the moment is for peanut butter cookies--no specialty flours needed.

Gluten-free doesn't need to be overly complicated; for me, it's only when my food allergies (soy and dairy) come into play that things become problematic. But I also learned quickly that even trace amounts can make me sick---now I'm the one in our college dining hall quizzing the cooks on what's in the food. It's a skill I picked up while dealing with restaurant cooks--who don't always want to give you a gluten-free dish, much less a gluten-free, cf dish.

A week into the diet, it seems logical to be able to 'cheat', but trust me--the inclination dies quickly.

emcmaster Collaborator

Yes, if I binge on gluten, it takes more than a month to get back to normal. What helps is cutting out any triggers that normally are OK for me - gas producing foods, dairy, gluten-free grains. If I eat very bland, safe food, I can usually get over it faster.

Archived