KristenPK

Gluten-free Diet--trial

Rate this topic

We're trying a gluten-free diet with our daughter to see if it improves her bowel incontinence issues.

Can anyone tell me how long we need to stick with the gluten-free diet in order to know if it's working? A week? Longer?

Thanks for the help!

The length of time it may take varies greatly from person to person. For some, it only takes a few days, while for others it can take several months to notice anything. But in general, I think a few weeks is typically sufficient.

Just make sure there's absolutely no gluten sneaking in, or your efforts will be in vein. This means not using the toaster for gluten-free bread, avoid colanders, wooden utensils, scratched pots and pans, cast iron, beaters/mixers, or other things with non-smooth surfaces to which gluten can cling. Keep a lookout for additional intolerances/allergies, especially to dairy and other top allergens including soy, corn, nuts, eggs, etc. So you may need to eliminate more than just gluten to get appreciable results. Again, it depends on the individual.

to have reasonable confidence, based on everything I've read/heard, I go with three months STRICTLY gluten free. she gets gluten? add two more weeks on.

One of my daughters problem like that went away almost right away. She is nine and we could not believe she was haven't that issue and she was very very mortified. It had never happened again once she went gluten-free.

As mentioned, 3 month's would be a good trial. Keep a food journal to help you zero in on patterns, etc. Note all her symptoms. Take this with you when you visit the dr.

Wouldn't hurt for the adults in the household to go gluten free also. You may notice a difference in how you feel.