This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

fig girl Rookie

Happy Belated Birthday Shay and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I cooked 2 rock cornish game hens in the crockpot last night so i'll bring some of that with me to my Aunt and Uncle's house. They look really good - it's my first time cooking these. I'm also bringing some roasted potatos that my husband likes and i'm making the below recipe (substituting honey for brown sugar, coconut oil for butter and didn't use any flour and used the juice of one orange and grated some orange rind) I also soaked some organic raisins and put a few of them on top along with the cranberries. I kind of combined 2 recipes i had found but mainly followed this one below - i tested a mini version yesterday and it was tasty and even ate a few of the raisins and they seemed ok with me. I steamed some green beans and carrots yesterday and i'll bring those too. I'll be eating only what i bring (minus potatos).

Open Original Shared Link

I hope everyone has a happy, safe and stress-free SCD Thanksgiving! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShayFL Enthusiast

I want to eat with you fig girl. :)

AliB Enthusiast
The yogut I made with the Asian coconut milk did not culture (after 24 hours it was completely separated - the white solids floating on top, nearly clear liquid on bottom). I don't know if it was an undisclosed ingredient in the Asian coconut milk or the temperature was a tad bit too high (112F in the water bath). Or maybe the commercial coconut yogurt used as a starter was a dud.

I have been using a couple brands of canned coconut milk (they do have guar gum) - Thai and Native Forest organic. Both work equally as well.

If it has been high heat-treated or hydrogenated, there is a possibility it won't support any live culture. That my be why it didn't work. I would give that one a miss and stick to the ones you know work.

Ali.

AliB Enthusiast

Mmmm. That apple and butternut squash bake looks good. Almost more of a dessert than a savory!!! I have posted it on the recipe thread.

Hi Rinne - welcome to the thread. We love to support each other on the SCD - the more the merrier!!!

Ali.

fig girl Rookie
I want to eat with you fig girl. :)

:lol: Too bad we can't all share our dishes! Yours and Dawn's pumpkin and squash dishes sound wonderful! The butternut/apple/cranberry bake turned out good - everyone liked it and there was only a little left. Once i can tolerate nuts i'll add some to it...maybe some walnuts or pecans. Ali - it was a lot like a dessert and that's exactly what i ate for my dessert! :D It was yummy and hit the spot. All of the gluten cookies, cake, fudge, pie, etc. sure did look and smell wonderful but all in all it wasn't bad being my first gluten-free and SCD Thanksgiving. It was great seeing everyone and enjoying the company. My cornish hen was wonderful....i'm going to have some more for dinner.

I had to chuckle to myself though when my dear, sweet Aunt told me i could just scrape off the topping w/flour she puts on her sweet potato casserole. She meant well and is so very sweet so i didn't have the heart to tell her i couldn't do that and didn't feel like going into detail about it so i just said thank you. :)

fig girl Rookie
Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all. :)

It is nice to find this thread, I started the SCD last week and already feel like I have found an answer that the gluten free diet couldn't provide for me.

I haven't read back, 57 pages! but I will.

Welcome Rinne! Glad the SCD is working for you. It's so nice to feel better isn't it?! :) It's a little tough in the very beginning but so worth it to stick with it. I felt like i lived in the kitchen and still do sometimes but it's getting lots better.

fig girl Rookie
I heard baked Kale is really good (has anyone done this? tips?). I know baked leeks & carrots (w/ olive oil, sea salt and cayenne) is on my list.

For the most part I will just eat vicariously through everyone else. At least we're not sensitive to smell ... *knocks on wood*

Hi Jsn7821! I don't know of any baked kale recipes but would love to have one. I used to juice kale with carrot before scd and once i'm eating more raw (only eating a small salad right now occasionally) i'd like to juice again.

Yes, i ate vicariously through everyone else today and i think i smelled just about everything. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

We can share our recipes, Figgy! I put yours on the SCD recipe thread in the Recipes section.

On another note, I don't know if this sounds daft, but my stomach is always uncomfortable in the front towards the top - I have wondered if I have Helicobacter even though the test came back negative. Anyway, three nights ago I took 3 probiotic capsules a few minutes before I laid down in bed. I turned on my front and went to sleep.

The next day my stomach felt a little better, so I have done it the last couple nights again. I am wondering if laying on my stomach is enabling the probios to get to 'the spot' and target whatever is causing the problem down there. I will carry on doing it for a while longer and see what happens. When my stomach is sore I get a pain in my back but I can't say that I have had either very noticeably since which is encouraging.

Interesting.

fig girl Rookie

Just wanted to share that I went to a wine/beverage shop yesterday looking for a very dry wine so that i could have a small glass tonight and the owner was a wonderful man who gave me a quick lesson on what to look for to get the dryest wines. He said that cabernet sauvignon is usually the dryest in red and chardonnay is the dryest in white wines and the higher in alcohol content the dryer they are and less sugar they have. He also said all wines have some sulfites that naturally occur in the fermentation process (even the one's that say no sulfites added). I have had an organic no sulfites added wine before starting scd and it didn't seem to bother me as much as the one's that don't say no sulfites added. I picked up a cabernet sauvignon that had a 14.5% alcohol content (Montes from Chile) which was the highest i seen but it doesn't say no sulfites added. I'm about to have a small glass so hopefully it'll be ok. :D

fig girl Rookie

Thanks Ali! :) I'm glad your new probiotic regime is helping....i get the sore back with my sore stomach too so i'll have to remember to try that the next time they're bothering me. Thanks for sharing and hope it continues to help you! :)

mftnchn Explorer

Hi all, reading your wonderful dinner plans was great! Happy Belated BD, Shay! :) we are both Nov BDs! :)

I had a more simple meal since it was just me this time, some of my plans didn't work out. But my housekeeper and I had roast chicken with Italian seasoning, a type of green bean that is very very good--it is wider and flatter than our green beans with a thick soft "meat", and baked squash. I decided to try the squash one more time but felt quite poorly afterward, so that's it, sadly, for squash for me. I'll wait several months before trying it again.

My dessert was apple cobbler, which I have described here before. I ate 3 portions! :)

Welcome Rinne!!! Since lots of us are new to SCD in the last several months, there are lots of questions, answers, and help for the initial process here on this thread. Yes, it is getting long though!

Sherry

GermanMia Newbie

Shay,

happy very belated birthday!!!

All,

I do hope you had a splendid SCD Thanksgiving!

Rinne,

welcome to the SCD world ;) The more people here the better to support and share!

Sherry,

this lyme blog is very interesting, thanks for posting. Fortunately lyme isn

AliB Enthusiast

Natasha Campbell McBride states in her book 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' that it is more likely that people have too little acid than too much. Acid reflux or GERD is due to the sphincter muscle not closing properly at the top of the stomach because there is not enough acid production to trigger it.

She usually finds that HCI supplementation sorts the acid reflux out. The medical 'solution' of course is to do the complete opposite and give antacids which may help initially but long-term just makes the problem worse.

Suppression of acid production in the stomach may be due to bacterial activity - Helicobacter is a common culprit. It apparently produces ammonia which neutralises the acid. Raising the acid level can help to control it.

GermanMia Newbie

Thanks, Ali - just what I'd have been looking for. I think I'll see if Ican find that book at Amazon.

There can be a relation between pancreas enzyme production and HCl in the stomach. Substituted pancreas enzymes work better when they are accompanied by HCL supplementation.

Plus the body gets more alkaline (basic) if there is enough acid in the stomach.

Mia

rinne Apprentice

Welcome Rinne!!! Since lots of us are new to SCD in the last several months, there are lots of questions, answers, and help for the initial process here on this thread. Yes, it is getting long though!

Sherry

Thanks Sherry. :) I am glad to find a resource on this board.

Rinne,

welcome to the SCD world ;) The more people here the better to support and share!

Thanks Mia. :)

I can see I need to catch up if I am to understand. (I'm on page 3 :o ) I am wondering whether there is a need for probiotics when we are eating the yogurt?

A brief introduction, I have been ill for about five years, it began with a tick bite, anxiety attacks, incredible hip pain, (past injury) and then a complete breakdown of my digestion with a drastic weight loss. Regular and alternative doctors have been of little help although I will be forever grateful to my acupuncterist, he helped me realize that I have the ability to know what is right for me.

I took the nutracetical route with the Lyme and gluten and dairy free diet for the Celiac. I have two siblings diagnosed with Celiac, a grandfather with stomach cancer and a family history of digestive issues. I had largely avoided wheat for many years because I knew it wasn't good for me, my feeling is the Lyme attacked me where I was weakest.

I have made wonderful strides forward in my health, I have gained weight and am maintaining it, the pain is, on a scale of 1 - 10 with ten the worst, generally about a 2 or 3 these days versus a solid year and a half of about 8 with 6 being a good day.

In order to do this I have basically been following a modified SCD as I have been staying away from all grains but since I didn't understand I continued to include bananas and ....anyways in reading the information on line it suddenly and absolutely clicked into view.

Once again, so glad to find you. :)

mftnchn Explorer

Rinne, we have a lot in common with both lyme and celiac. I've been treating lyme since 2000 with antibiotics. I haven't had dramatic digestive symptoms and gained instead of lost weight. However, I eventually discovered profound malabsorption and many deficiencies and had constant up and down swings after going gluten-free. There's been an excellent response to SCD and I think my gut is finally showing some signs of healing.

Banana, if ripe (black spots on the peeling) is okay on SCD, if you don't have an intolerance to it.

Sherry

GermanMia Newbie

Hi Rinne,

I do wish you that the SCD will help you recover!

As for the probiotics, if you have the possibility, first make a stool test to analyse your gut flora just to see what is there and what isn't. I'm going to do this myself these days after one antibiotic in october and another last week. During the last years I found out that it's always something different that my flora lacks. One time it's the enterobacteria which are down, another time the lactos, so I think it's not useful to feed my gut with too much lactobacteria if they already are high while the enterobacteria maybe are weak.

Mia

ShayFL Enthusiast

O.K. I started my day with a "green smoothie"....celery, mache (it is what I had on hand) and apple. It was about 1 1/2 cups worth made in the Vita-Mix. Now I have had "D" ALL day.....

Is a good sign?????

mftnchn Explorer

I wish it worked that well for me, Shay, LOL! Maybe you can figure out what to put in there, or cut the amount of the smoothie? Or maybe it is just a healing process thing?

I'm still doing the veggie smoothie every morning...I'd guess mine is more like 2-3 cups, I find it hard to judge amounts when I use 6 things!

There were clearly more parasites again today so I must still not be finished with the cleansing and rebalancing. Maybe that is contributing to the constipation too. At least I'm headed in the right direction. I have a month's herbal antiparasite treatment coming via hand delivery so I'll start it at the end of the week.

Sherry

ShayFL Enthusiast

Well after my 8th poop last night and still rumbling, I decided to have leftover chicken soup for breakfast. ;)

I will get some spinach, cucks and some other things to try for a different one. Maybe it was what I used.

mftnchn Explorer
Well after my 8th poop last night and still rumbling, I decided to have leftover chicken soup for breakfast. ;)

I will get some spinach, cucks and some other things to try for a different one. Maybe it was what I used.

Maybe I need to try your mixture, LOL!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Maybe I've found the cure for constipation: celery, mache and apple blended to smoothie consistency. Drink 1 1/2 cup first thing in the morning......LOL

rinne Apprentice
Rinne, we have a lot in common with both lyme and celiac. I've been treating lyme since 2000 with antibiotics. I haven't had dramatic digestive symptoms and gained instead of lost weight. However, I eventually discovered profound malabsorption and many deficiencies and had constant up and down swings after going gluten-free. There's been an excellent response to SCD and I think my gut is finally showing some signs of healing.

Banana, if ripe (black spots on the peeling) is okay on SCD, if you don't have an intolerance to it.

Sherry

Hi Sherry, I am glad to hear the SCD is helpling you. :) I've got a couple of bananas ripening that I have been waiting patiently for, just how black should they be? They are kind of black but they feel very firm, I am wondering if that is because they are organic as I've noticed a real difference with the organic ones lasting much longer and having a better flavour.

Hi Rinne,

I do wish you that the SCD will help you recover!

As for the probiotics, if you have the possibility, first make a stool test to analyse your gut flora just to see what is there and what isn't. I'm going to do this myself these days after one antibiotic in october and another last week. During the last years I found out that it's always something different that my flora lacks. One time it's the enterobacteria which are down, another time the lactos, so I think it's not useful to feed my gut with too much lactobacteria if they already are high while the enterobacteria maybe are weak.

Mia

Thanks Mia, :) that's interesting. I have been feeling like I need to do something again, I was thinking about acupuncture but perhaps I should take another approach.

What's Mache, I am thinking it is greens but would appreciate knowing if I am right. Thanks.

Has anyone here make goat yogurt with the Yogourmet starter?

mftnchn Explorer

BTVC book just says black spots on the banana skin. Apparently not ripe ones have too high a carb content, I forget the specific explanation.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Mache are a green...like tiny delicate leaves. Very tender. I like them. :)

Archived