Tim-n-VA

Tamale Casserole

Rate this topic

This is something I've made a few times lately, not the same way twice so it is a little tricky to write but really easy/flexible.

The one constant so far has been gound beef. I crumble/brown/drain it in a skillet. Then I add stuff to it. I've tried onions/peppers, corn, black beans (pintos would work fine). I then add a jar of salsa. When this is hot/bubbly, I take it off the heat. At this point, sour cream can be added - just stir it in to blend - but it could be omitted. When I used onions/green peppers I sauted them while I browned the ground beef. Drain at least part of the liquids if using canned ingredients to keep it from getting too soupy.

Pour the mixture into a casserole dish (I use a 9x13 pan).

Top this with a gluten-free cornbread mixture. Optionally, stir grated cheese into the batter. I put spoonfuls evenly over the top and then gently spread it with a fork. I think I could have just left the spoonfuls and they would have spread a little and made little corn muffin "portion indicators".

Bake until the cornbread is golden brown at the temperature recommended for the corn bread (30 minutes at 375 for Pamela's corn bread).

I like recipes like this one because all that matters is that you have a blend of items and it is rarely the same and you can easily adapt to items you have on hand. If my wife is out of town I add more heat (hot salsa versus medium or mild).

Note that I've made similar dishes using a pasta sauce and topping with a batter made using Pamela's pancake directions, resulting in an "upside down pizza".

I make something similar using corn tortillas as a layer. If you use tortillas you need to smother them with enchilada sauce, salsa or even tomato sauce so they don't dry it. Makes a quick meal!

I've made a similar casserole with the corn tortillas like juliebove... but I did it this why because I can't make regular enchiladas without the tortilla cracking open! Still tastes good though.

Can anyone successfully make enchiladas without split tortillas?

I really like the cornbread idea... it would be like that Amy's frozen enchilada pie thing.

Mine split open too. It's not as pretty as with flour tortillas but it tastes great!

I've made a similar casserole with the corn tortillas like juliebove... but I did it this why because I can't make regular enchiladas without the tortilla cracking open! Still tastes good though.

I really like the cornbread idea... it would be like that Amy's frozen enchilada pie thing.

I fry them a minute per side in canola oil then put them on a paper towel to drain extra oil. This helps alot to keep them from splitting. Mission is a good brand that holds together well.

I do make regular enchiladas too. I have read to soften the tortillas in hot oil or in the sauce, but I just warm them in the microwave. Sometimes they crack but mostly they don't. I just find rolling them to be a pain.