This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Tests Are Recommended For Diagnosis?

carynanne

carynanne Rookie

Hey,

I was on here 3 years ago looking for a diagnosis, but when I went to the GI doctor they ran a million GI tests, with only 2 of the tests I know are for celiac -- the gluten antibodies one and an ANA. Gluten antibodies was negative. The ANA came back positive, so they ran several other tests for lupus, diabetes, etc., and they found out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I let the ball drop on celiac, thinking we had found my problem. But now 3 years later I am having a major relapse in nausea, with constant abdominal pain, menstrual irregularities and infertility (all issues I was having before I started on Synthroid), and a new major problem with teeth! I had 8 new cavities since the last dentist visit 8 months earlier. I take impeccable care of my teeth. It's unreal. I want to go back in to be fully tested specifically for celiac, but I can't remember the tests that are recommended that would cover all the bases and ensure a pretty high probability of accurate diagnosis. It does run in my family, but 2nd degree--no diagnosed 1st degree relatives (though several suspected).

Thanks!

Caryn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

carynanne Rookie

Also, does anyone recommend that MYCeliacID genetic test that is like $369?

jerseyangel Proficient
Hey,

I was on here 3 years ago looking for a diagnosis, but when I went to the GI doctor they ran a million GI tests, with only 2 of the tests I know are for celiac -- the gluten antibodies one and an ANA. Gluten antibodies was negative. The ANA came back positive, so they ran several other tests for lupus, diabetes, etc., and they found out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I let the ball drop on celiac, thinking we had found my problem. But now 3 years later I am having a major relapse in nausea, with constant abdominal pain, menstrual irregularities and infertility (all issues I was having before I started on Synthroid), and a new major problem with teeth! I had 8 new cavities since the last dentist visit 8 months earlier. I take impeccable care of my teeth. It's unreal. I want to go back in to be fully tested specifically for celiac, but I can't remember the tests that are recommended that would cover all the bases and ensure a pretty high probability of accurate diagnosis. It does run in my family, but 2nd degree--no diagnosed 1st degree relatives (though several suspected).

Thanks!

Caryn

Hi Caryn and welcome back! :) Considering all of your symptoms and the family history I think it's a really good idea for you to be tested again. The Celiac Panel consists of these--

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Of course, you have to be eating a full on gluten diet to get an accurate result.

At this point, assuming that you're still eating a normal diet which includes gluten, it would be better to have the Celiac Panel run. The genetic test is interesting, and can tell you if you have the most common genes associated with Celiac--but it can't diagnose the disease. Somewhere around 30% of the general population posess a Celiac gene, but only a small fraction of those will ever have the disease triggered.

carynanne Rookie

[

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

happygirl Collaborator

Well, the good news is that the tests they are going to run are the more specific of the Celiac tests (EMA and tTG are Celiac tests, the total IgA helps to understand the accuracy of the other IgA based tests by looking for an IgA deficiency.)

The names listed are the specific names of the test:

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgG

What lab are they using? These are older/more basic tests than the tTG and EMA. Both Quest and LabCorp offer these tests, as well as Prometheus. All of these companies (and, many others) can run all the Celiac bloodwork, as well as the Celiac gene tests.

carynanne Rookie

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-gliadin (AGA) IgG

I dunno. I went to a Wellstar (they're big in the Atlanta area) physician's clinic, and they use Quest. I wonder if these labs are listed in a different section of the book. Or if they needed to say "antibodies" after them. The doctor was perfectly friendly about it, but he sort of acted like he had never seen these tests before. I understand that Celiac is massively underdiagnosed-- maybe this is 1 reason why....

:D Thanks! I guess I'll hear back about it sometime next week.

Caryn

Lisa Mentor

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21853/1/MyC...ting/Page1.html

MyCeliacID is based on proven science. People who have celiac disease are known to have a distinct sequence of genes. By testing DNA isolated from a saliva sample, MyCeliacID can show whether or not a person has that genetic sequence. If they don’t have the genes, they are highly unlikely to develop celiac disease in their lifetime. If they do have the genes, and have symptoms of celiac disease, they should consult a doctor. Only a doctor or other qualified healthcare professional can diagnose celiac disease..

I have no experience with this test and can't recommend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

www.questdiagnostics.com - You can find the test info here. Quest can also run the genetic testing.

MyCeliacId is through Prometheus, a reputable company.

carynanne Rookie
www.questdiagnostics.com - You can find the test info here. Quest can also run the genetic testing.

MyCeliacId is through Prometheus, a reputable company.

Thanks! I didn't think to look at their website (duh). If these tests come back negative, I think I'll come a little more prepared and show them where they can find them. It sounds crazy, bt I really wish I could just get a diagnosis of celiac so I can stop wondering... even tho that means that I have a "disease." At least it would explain things.

Archived