This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amusing Stories

Shess0816

Shess0816 Apprentice

Let me preface this by saying that I love my future mother in law to death! She has bent over backwards to make sure (to the best of her ability) that they try to make something for me (the Celiac) to eat at every meal we have. We eat a family dinner at my boyfriend's parents house almost every single Sunday, so there have been a lot of "special" dishes for me! lol

Now, with that said, as good as her intentions may be, she just does not get it sometimes! ;) I just thought I would share some of the funny comments that have been said at family dinner with respect to what I can and cannot eat. I thought it would be fun for all of us to post some of the funny stories we have from family members who are well-intentioned but maybe not quite as knowledgable as ourselves! So please please please feel free to post any stories you can think of!! :D

1. The pie incident: For birthdays in my boyfriends family, the birthday person gets to choose what they want for dinner on Sunday night the week of their birthday as well as the dessert. It was my boyfriend's dad's birthday a couple months ago and he decided on Rhubarb pie for the dessert. My bf's grandma apparently makes amazing pies (I unfortunately have never been able to try them...). So she makes the rhubarb pie, and it smells great! So we get done eating dinner and they bring the pie out for dessert. I go to the refrigerator and get my gluten free cookie I brough and some vanilla ice cream so I can still eat dessert with everyone. BF's mom says "Well, why can't you just eat the filling out of the pie? I understand the crust is breading, but can't we just spoon out the filling for you? You're going to make grandma feel bad that you didn't try any of her pie!" So...I had to explain that in addition to all the gluten that was in the pie crust, the filling was baked in the crust, touching the crust, etc... so even if the filling itself didn't have gluten in it, it was contaminated. A little while later I just started giggling thinking about them trying to spoon out the filling for me :rolleyes:

That was the best one I could think of at the moment. I do have quite a few more so I'll post more as I think of them... Please feel free to add! :P I think it's important to remember that even though this Celiac thing is stressful at times, there are some lighthearted moments we can laugh about later! :lol:

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Here are a couple of dumb things I've done myself!

Saw a commercial on TV for some kind of frozen meals in a bag that you just boil and serve. Went to the grocery store to look for them and they were pasta meals. I was like... What was I thinking?

Then last year was stressing out over what to send in to school for daughter's birthday party. The year before we got some nice decorated allergen free cookies but that place quit making them. So I had this dream that I sent in little pies. I woke up from the dream thinking... There's no reason I can't send in pies! They're just fruit! So I went to the store, started to pick up a pie to check the ingredients and thought... Crust!

The thing is, I used to bake all the time. But I haven't done it for years. I was diagnosed with diabetes after daughter was born (had gestational diabetes when pregnant) and was very careful with out diet. Not only did I quit baking and making sweets but I quit buying them so just sort of forgot what all goes into that stuff.

I did do some baking briefly when daughter was first diagnosed but it just wasn't worth it. I couldn't eat most of what I baked for her. My husband wouldn't eat it and she couldn't eat it fast enough. Plus it was a rare thing for me to get something that came out right. I do still make the zucchini bread recipe from this website. It's good and turns out well. But I don't make it often.

Anyway... I felt really stupid to have thought she could have these things.

As for family members, they just don't get it either. They will say that a little bit can't hurt her. They have even asked if she can have one bite of something? Just one! How could that hurt her. With them, I have used the pill ananolgy but it still doesn't work. I will ask them if they take any pills. They all do. I will say... What is that pill for? Blood pressure? It lowers your blood pressure? Now think about how tiny that pill is. And you say something that tiny can't do anything? *sigh* But it doesn't work. They still don't get it.

mushroom Proficient

What I find funniest is to get a bunch of food intolerants together trying to make food for each other. We went out to lunch today at my housesitter's latest "sit" house. She wheat, dairy, and potato intolerant, me, gluten, potato (nightshade), soy, corn, caffeine intolerant, dh purely gluten intolerant, one person with ulcerative colitis and two "normal" eaters. Everything was going quite well with no objectionable foods to anyone until she produced her piece de resistance dessert--cornmeal scones with raspberry jam! I took a small corner off my husband's scone, which was quite delicious and all I was willing to risk. But the old saying, "just one crumb" became the rule of thumb, and on the way home (1-1/2 drive) the bloating set in. I asked dh to turn the AC off recirculate to let in some "fresh" air and managed to make it home, but it seems like no matter how hard we try we can't satisfy us all. As I said to dh, at least that clarifies the corn issue once and for all :lol:

hannahp57 Contributor

my favorite thing to make fun of is when i tell people i can't have wheat they say say "oh! so you can have white bread then right?

people apparently don't know what is in the food they eat.

i also hear about taking the middle of the pie. or if i order a salad and they bring it out with croutons everyone suggests "oh just pick them out!"

then people feel they have to offer me cake so they arent rude and i always tell them trust me i'll be happier without it

Frances03 Enthusiast

when my stepmom found out I have celiac disease, she said, "so, what kind of bread CAN you have, just french and italian?" I have NO idea where she got that idea, but I'm thinking she figured white bread was okay and not wheat bread, lol.

my dad said "maybe I could do that diet, I can just order my hamburger and then throw out the bun right?" of course when he found out beer wasn't on the plan, he said forget it. I sure hope he doesn't have celiac disease too!

summerteeth Enthusiast
my favorite thing to make fun of is when i tell people i can't have wheat they say say "oh! so you can have white bread then right?

people apparently don't know what is in the food they eat.

I seem to get this with just about everyone... people I work with, family, my fiance's family...

Like last night I went out to dinner with my fiance (Adam) and his brother and he said "you can have flour tortillas because they aren't whole wheat, right?" Adam and I just looked at each other and laughed :)

• 2 weeks later...
AKcollegestudent Apprentice

I love Indian food, and when I go out to eat, that's usually where I end up. "My" Indian place is well trained in both what gluten means and the other two food allergens. I'm addicted to lentil doughnuts because they're made with chickpea flour. However, the last time I attempted to break in another restuarant ended in both tears and laughter. Tears because I ate something I shouldn't have and laughter because while I was explaining I got the classic, "But it only has flour in it!" (While I know he could have been talking about chickpea flour, further clarification resulted in yes, it was wheat flour.)

And that is so not the only time I've gotten that response. Or, "Just remove the bun!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

A friend was cooking for all us gals. She talked to me about what I couldn't eat, I always say no bread, crackers, flour or pasta. So she makes me a salad. A pasta salad.

I don't know, I really must have paid more attention in school than most people. I didn't grow up on a farm but I do know about how food is made and from what. Of course when we lived out in farm country our neighbor (who grew up on a farm) thought potatoes grew on trees like peaches. Maybe it's from breathing in all the methane gas from the cows.

People all the time say "oh you can cheat this once". Finally I've started saying "sure, if I can stick a knife into your intestines".

carsondcat Newbie

Ouchie a bit testy that, but nicely said, wish I'd thought of it myself. Personally i just get sick and tired of being offered salad. I have Celiac Disease not vegetaerianism.

Archived