elle's mom

Help-gluten-free Pasta For School Craft Project

Rate this topic

My daughter's teacher has informed me that coming up within a month or so, they will be making pasta Indian necklaces at school (before thanksgiving). She wanted me to know ahead of time so I could find a gluten-free alternative for my daughter (she's great, thankfully). The pasta she uses is rigatoni, which I found online, but also wagon wheels.......has anyone ever seen gluten-free wagon wheels???

My daughter's teacher has informed me that coming up within a month or so, they will be making pasta Indian necklaces at school (before thanksgiving). She wanted me to know ahead of time so I could find a gluten-free alternative for my daughter (she's great, thankfully). The pasta she uses is rigatoni, which I found online, but also wagon wheels.......has anyone ever seen gluten-free wagon wheels???

Tinkyada didn't have wagon wheels, but they did have some spirals that looked fun.

Heres a link to the shapes they offer:

http://tinkyada.com/ProP1.htm

Since there aren't a whole lot of (gluten free) shapes that are able to be threaded onto a necklace, maybe check out the craft section of Wal-Mart or go to Michaels for some wood beads so that she has a little variety to add to her penne pasta necklace. You could also dye some of your pasta different colors ( http://www.crafty-moms.com/kids_crafts/dyeing-pasta.shtml )

. . . and sorry, I haven't seen gluten free wagon wheels.

If I couldn't find the pastas I'd send plastic beads from the hobby store. And really the school should be supplying the gluten free pasta or substitute. They just do not want to spend the extra money. And I don't think it should be coming out of the teachers pocket either (have friends who teach and I'm appalled at what they pay out of their pocket for their student's supplies)

My dd has a brain injury. In one class I took, given by a lawyer, he warned us not to allow a school to "pass" a brain injured child along. Schools will tell the parents that they will "let" the child graduate with their class. It sounds so nice but really once the child is out of school they are no longer required to provide extra training/tools that might really be needed because of the brain injury. So the child is pushed out of the system. He also said the educational system is suppose to provide for their needs even if it's at an extra cost.

Not that I'd mind buying the pasta for the craft but they do need to provide a safe environment for your child.

We have a 504 plan that states that wheat based products must stay out of the classroom, except for at snack time under controlled circumstances. (the kids bring their own snacks) Even the art teacher must keep all supplies gluten free.

The risk for cross contamination to your daughter would be huge! All she has to do is wipe her mouth with the back of her hand on necklace day and you could have a very sick child.

I'd request that the teacher find a more appropriate non poisonous alternative to pasta for the necklaces.