glutenfreeinminnesota

Mmmm..comfort Food

Rate this topic

I just want everyone to know (new to gluten free and been having a hard time coping, so maybe you all know this) but I bought the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownies, at first they seemed REALLY thick...but YUM!!!! They taste just like the brownies I have always made. I take comfort in knowing at least when I crave brownies, I will be able to get my fix :) Have a good day everyone!!

Yep, I agree! (And I'm extremely picky.) Those are the BEST brownies--I can't tell that they're gluten-free. My husband and kids love them, too. And their chocolate chip cookie mix is really good--not too crumbly and not too cakey. Hooray for Betty Crocker!!! Now, if I could only find a GOOD gluten-free yellow cake mix.

There are alot of ways to do brownies. I love Trader Joes and Bob's mixes, can't do betty crocker because of the soy. The hands down favorite are my peanut butter swirl brownies. I use a mix of canola oil and palm shortening in the place of butter or vegetable oil.

Peanut Butter Swirl

1 cup(s) creamy peanut butter (I have been known to use more than a cup)

1/3 cup(s) sugar

4 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine ( I mix palm shortening and canola oil)

2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour ( I use Bob's all purpose baking mix, about 1 1/2 teaspoons with just a little bit of zantham gum) I know I stink at actual measurements

1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract

1 large egg

I mix this all together well :)

I plop glbs of the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie mix and push it down into the pan and swirl it a bit so that there's less seperation when you've baked it. Still some of the peanut butter mix will seperate but its still awesome. This is more of a fork brownie than a grab and bite brownie.

more things to add to brownie mixes-

comstock cherry pie filling- great blackforest brownies,I want to find a good DF gluten-free fudge top top these with.

marshmallows, pecans, and caramel (smuckers or homemade) made great rocky road brownies

more when I have time to post...enjoy. I'm making 2 huge batches and freezing today.

I've always made The Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies... you can find the recipe at Food TV. The recipe makes TONS and they're super chocolate-y and rich. There's so little flour in them (1 cup I think) that my gluten-free blend (Analise Robert's) works really well!

There are alot of ways to do brownies. I love Trader Joes and Bob's mixes, can't do betty crocker because of the soy. The hands down favorite are my peanut butter swirl brownies. I use a mix of canola oil and palm shortening in the place of butter or vegetable oil.

Peanut Butter Swirl

1 cup(s) creamy peanut butter (I have been known to use more than a cup)

1/3 cup(s) sugar

4 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine ( I mix palm shortening and canola oil)

2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour ( I use Bob's all purpose baking mix, about 1 1/2 teaspoons with just a little bit of zantham gum) I know I stink at actual measurements

1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract

1 large egg

I mix this all together well :)

I plop glbs of the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownie mix and push it down into the pan and swirl it a bit so that there's less seperation when you've baked it. Still some of the peanut butter mix will seperate but its still awesome. This is more of a fork brownie than a grab and bite brownie.

more things to add to brownie mixes-

comstock cherry pie filling- great blackforest brownies,I want to find a good DF gluten-free fudge top top these with.

marshmallows, pecans, and caramel (smuckers or homemade) made great rocky road brownies

more when I have time to post...enjoy. I'm making 2 huge batches and freezing today.

Thank you so much! This sounds DELICIOUS! I might make these for Thanksgiving!

Wow, I am glad to know I have so many options! I will try those Betty Crocker cookies, and these other brands for brownies and baking! Thanks to all of you.

The Betty Crocker gluten-free Devils food cake mix is also good.

The Betty Crocker brownies also freeze well (I freeze and hide a few just for me - forget my husband and boys!)

The Betty Crocker brownies also freeze well (I freeze and hide a few just for me - forget my husband and boys!)

thanks! thats great to know too, mine got a little crusty when i didnt eat them fast enough...

The Betty Crocker yellow cake is good, too. I used it to make a pineapple upsidedown cake and it was great.

Just cover the bottom of the pan with a paste of dark brown sugar and melted butter. Cover that with crushed pineapple. Bake as the box directs. When done, invert on serving plate.

The Betty Crocker gluten-free Devils food cake mix is also good.

I can find the white cake, the cookies, and the brownies pretty much everywhere around me - but I have NEVER seen the Devil's Food. Looks like I have a mission after Thanksgiving!!

I can find the white cake, the cookies, and the brownies pretty much everywhere around me - but I have NEVER seen the Devil's Food. Looks like I have a mission after Thanksgiving!!

I'm sure this is because here in WI we have all the Devil's Food and none of the White cake!