newton

Malabsorbtion Issues

Rate this topic

I was tested for Celiac 3 years ago due to anemia issues and a strong family history of Celiac. I was told I did not have Celiac. I still have anemia, which my new Dr. has determined is due to malabsorbtion syndrome. He says my small intestines are not absorbing the vitamins as they should. I take a handful of vitamin supplements every day and am still deficient in vit D, Iron, folic acid, etc... He is retesting me for Celiac.

Does anyone know of a multi vitamin patch. I figure, that if I by pass my intestines through a patch I might be able to retain some of these vitamins and feel better. I take a sublingual b-12 and am not deficient in it.

I was told 2 weeks ago that I have Lupus, to add to my problems.

What is the difference between Malabsorbtion Syndrome and Celiac? Does malaborbtion syndrome benefit from a gluten fee diet?

thanks

What did your doctor go off of to determine you are not celiac? False negatives are all too common on blood and biopsy both for a variety of reasons. Did they tell you to try the diet anyway? They should have if they didn't. If they are now in the process of retesting you for celiac don't go gluten free yet. When that testing is done do go gluten free and see if your issues resolve. I can't stress that enough. I was very, very ill by the time I was diagnosed because I don't show up in blood work. Once I was finally diagnosed we tested my children, who both showed up positive on blood work. That prompted testing on my exhusband who also showed up postive. My DD had a biopsy and afterwards the doctor told her that although her villi were not yet totally destroyed that she should go gluten free. Or she also had the option to stay on gluten until the villi were totally gone and then he would officially diagnose her with celiac. Do you have copies of your biopsy report? At times when the destruction is low on the Marsh Scale or there are only 'preceliac' changes doctors won't diagnose until the villi are completely gone. Those with that mind set usually say something along the lines of- Your tests are inconclusive, keep eating gluten and then come back and we will rescope you to see if the villi are gone". Celiac is the only disease that I know of where doctors want to make you as sick as possible before they will diagnose.

With a strong celiac presence in your family you really need to give the diet a good strict try after all testing is done, or now if you don't want more tests. I would be willing to bet you will benefit from the diet.

My blood work and biopsy tested negative when first tested. I don't know what the pathology report on the biopsy showed. I guess I will request a copy. They basically told me I tested negative and that was the end of it. I am currently seeing a new internist and he is retesting me for the celiac. I hate the thought of going gluten free if I don't need to.

With just being diagnosed with Lupus, I am really overwhelmed with the thought of having Celiac also.