This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Dr's Visit I've Ever Had

txplowgirl

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Finally went to the dr and had a good visit. I have officially lost 30 lbs, YEAH! No more anemia, first time in 30 years. Dr told me I didn't need to take iron anymore. When I explained to him I went gluten free he knew about it and he told me if I wanted to take the tests I would need to go back on gluten and I said not no but HECK NO! He laughed at that. My vit b-12 and D was a little low so he told me to double up on those for a while. Everything else was ok, folate, magnesium, etc. He told me he wished more of his patients would do what I was doing. Told me to keep it up and come back in 6 months for another check up.

Now, I have found out that I am super sensitive I guess. I have a problem with about 90% of the gluten free foods out there. I get a reaction from almost everything including the gluten free chex cereals. AArrhhh. My favorite breakfast food. Here the other day my sweetie was eating a gluten sandwich and I was drinking a bottle of water. He reached over a couple of times and took a drink. I didn't think anything of it, DUH, a couple of hours later I was doubled up with pain and bloating, and diareha. I chewed him and myself out. I fixed him a sandwich and I forgot to wash my hands and sure enough a couple hours later sick as a dog. I would love for him to go gluten free but he won't. He tried for 3 days and he had gluten withdrawals so bad and he was in a lot of pain. So he went back to gluten. He understands the problems with eating it but he just can't seem to understand the concept of cc though.

He just dosen't believe it. Thinks i'm making it up. So i'm slowly educating him but sometimes I want to slap him up side the head. :P

Anyway, that's my update, It can be done, it just takes time and patience.

Everybody have a good weekend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast

Glad to hear the good news!

YoloGx Rookie

Not to be a spoil sport but if your friend went through gluten withdrawal pains it is not a good sign. He too may be at least strongly gluten intolerant. It indicates a gluten addiction if nothing else -- which is indicative of a strong sensitivity if not allergy or worse. Its not a good idea for him to stay on whatever he's physically addicted to for obvious reasons... Maybe he should get the test??

Glad you are getting on track in any case!

Bea

Dada2hapas Rookie
He tried for 3 days and he had gluten withdrawals so bad and he was in a lot of pain. So he went back to gluten...

...He just dosen't believe it. Thinks i'm making it up...sometimes I want to slap him up side the head. :P

Good for you! Sounds like you found a good physican. I helped enlighten a couple of them, as they didn't know celiac disease was so prevalent... I hate that--they should already know all this!

Now, about your sweetie. How do I say it nicely? ...I think go with the "upside the head" thing, but without drawing blood. ;) Did he really experience "pain", or is he just playing you, cause he thinks the pain you suffer from cc isn't real? Good grief, get a clue Dude!!

Jonbo Apprentice

I can't fathom how he doesn't believe you have Celiac when yet it seems like he's seen first hand what happens to you if you have some CC. You can't fake diarrhea and doubling over pain, etc...Well, you shouldn't be able to unless your damn talented :lol:

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the comebacks. Yes I have suspected for quite a while my sweetie has at least a gluten sensitivity. He has seen me at my worst before I went gluten-free and he does believe I have a problem with gluten and he goes out of his way to help me make sure I don't eat the wrong things. He just can't seem to see the need for a different toaster, pans, etc. He dosen't get it that gluten foods touching your food is a no no.

We had an argument here the other day over me eating a potato. I have a problem with nightshades too. He wanted me to eat a baked potato and I told him no, I didn't want to wake up hurting and swollen in the morning. He said, now get this. "One little potato won't cause you that much pain. You'll get over it a in a few hours, just don't eat more than 1 a week." He just dosen't seem to understand I was in pain from about 7 or 8 years old, I don't want ANY PAIN AT ALL!. Even a little bit.

As for him he admits he has a problem with gluten, eggs and milk. He refuses to give them up even though it messes him up. As he tells me. He's almost 60 years old. A little pain won't kill him. This is from a man with diabetes and had one heart attack. But yes when he went gluten-free he had pain so bad he couldn't hardly walk plus he would get shooting pains through his arms so bad he would yell and cuss. He definetly wasn't making it up. He even got so depressed the third day he cried. That did it. He went back to eating gluten that night. I've tried explaining about the possible cancer issues and other health problems but he just blew me off.

So, i'm at the point I eat what I want, he eats what he wants and I try to be extra careful. Sometimes it works sometimes it dosen't. But I do know that I am nearly pain free, no more depression, anxiety, asthma and I'm losing weight and I have some wonderful friends here on this website.

What more can I ask for.

YoloGx Rookie

If I were you I'd pray for that guy. What else can you do but let it otherwise go?? Too bad. He really should get some tests done. Its likely the diabetes results in part from the gluten intolerance. IIt sounds very likely he has candida overgrowth issues actually. But some people just can't handle going through what one would need to handle it. A competent doctor might be able to help him. Detox herbs would also help. But ultimately he would have to go through the initial withdrawal pains just like an alcoholic or druggie. I certainly was there, but was willing to endure it to have better health. Though for me it was change or die due to my kidneys etc.. maybe for him the motivation to change is not quite so apparent.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived