StacyA

Anyone And Everyone: Are Your Gluten Exposure Symptoms Usually Consistent?

Rate this topic

I know that symptoms vary from person to person when they have exposure to gluten. But have you all noticed if your own individual symptoms are consistent each time you are glutened, or do they vary?

I would like to be able to tell when I'm glutened, to help me figure out what products or kitchen habits are risky (I'm diligent in reading labels, but sometimes I've tried products that are gluten-free but are 'made on the same equipment'; and I also have a shared kitchen and a husband who cooks for me sometimes but I'm not standing over him watching...)

My celiac's disease was only triggered this summer, so I don't have years of symptoms and years of a gluten-free diet to help me differentiate between things. My GI system is still recovering, and I'm still having diahrrea, so that's not a good symptom to track. (I'm on a probiotic currently.)

I do suspect that low back pain and severe irritability may be my own personal gluten exposure symptoms (and I've read enough posts to know that they are common). But I've considered purposely exposing myself again just one or two times in order to monitor my symptoms, although if my own personal symptoms could vary with each exposure then that wouldn't help much, would it?

Chime in and let me know if your own symptoms are the same each time... Thanks.

Mine are always the same and follow the same progression for the 3 weeks it takes to get over them. I don't know if this holds true for others.

Have you eliminated dairy? We often need to in the beginning to heal. You need to try and do as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Also make sure you check all meds and supplements and generic meds need to be checked at each refill. You should have had some relief from the D by now and I suspect that either gluten is sneaking in or you may have another intolerance such as casien or soy if it is still a regualr occurance. Unprocessed food is really the way you need to go for a while. You don't have to worry about gluten in fresh or single ingredient frozen veggies and fruits, beans, rice, fresh meats etc.

I know my personal symptoms of: Gas (very frequent and very unique scent), bloating, and irritability (debatable) are always there. It's possible that I have other varying symptoms but I know if I have "that gas" that I've been glutened. I'm in a very "dangerous" household so it's hard for me to say whether or not I have other symptoms since, until I get my own place, I have an incredibly high risk of CC.

I know my personal symptoms of: Gas (very frequent and very unique scent),

Lols, on the unique scent.. me too smells like something has crawled inside me and died (falls off chair with laughter, my poor husband...) I have lots of different symptoms, including pain in various parts of my stomach and intestines and red welts and blotches on my tongue, brain fog, tingling in the arms and hands, debilitating headaches not to mention feeling as if I'm about to explode.... As always great advice from ravenwoodglass :)

Lols, on the unique scent.. me too smells like something has crawled inside me and died (falls off chair with laughter, my poor husband...)

Lol! What a perfect (and of course horrible) description. I'm not sure much can make a person feel more unfeminine than that one symptom! Febreez has my eternal gratitude :D

Yes, usually... chocolate triggers migraines (even in the smallest, minute amount-and that sucks cause I LOVE chocolate), but my gluten triggers AWFUL gas that, yes, puts my husband to shame. I get VERY tired, lethargic, and irritable. Crazy, almost. Stomachaches, not so much - but the gas comes with bloating, yay. And I look like I'm a few months pregnant :(. Every muscle and joint aches, and my hip starts to bother me again.

And its pretty much the same everytime.

My symptoms kind of vary so I'm not much help. A food journal could help you though. Note what you eat and drink and how you're feeling throughout the day. I'm two years in and I still have some D almost every day. But I mostly have normal stools now. So I'm not sure everyone can completely stop the D. I haven't been able to and I'm strict about my diet.