ggadwa

Blood Tests And Biopsy Done?

Rate this topic

I am 62 and was diagnosed with Celiac before age 1 so for 5 years I was fed nothing except BANANAS and I do mean nothing else!!! Medical Knowledge of Celiac being whatever it was in 1947??? At age five the family Pediatrician pronounced me and my Brother age 3 cured of Celiac Disease. We were actually wrote up and publicized as having set records for numbers of Bananas consumed. Well, here I am at 62 and learned that you never can be cured of Celiac. So, concerned about my health, I had a 4 panel blood test done (ouch that was expensive) and I also had the Small Intestine Biopsy done (ouch again). Both came back negative for Celiac and the Doctor said the Villi in my small intestine looked fine too.

I was either cured miraculously by BANANAS so many years ago or I was inappropriately diagnosed and lived on bananas for why!?!?!?!?! The thing confuses me is that back when I was child if I was given anything else to eat by a well meaning person I was very sick for a couple days thereafter. The Pediatrician and my parents are both long since past away.

So is this a success story.... or two children misdiagnosed. Here I was resigning my self to Gluten Free living just because I was told you can't be cured and you will suffer very serious ill effects from any continuation of a Gluten lifestyle!?!?!?!

What do you all think????

GARY

Stanley, IDAHO

Do you have any health issues? Sensitive stomach, migraines, arthritis, anemia, diabetes etc? It was thought back then that children would outgrow celiac, I have heard stories like yours before as far as the 'banana' diet goes. If you are healthy and have no issues I would not be concerned but if you are having issues you should try the diet for a bit. Celiac can change presentations and attack organs other than the gut in some of us. Testing leaves a lot to be desired even now and with no idea what tests were done then it would be impossible to say if you were misdiagnosed.