haleym

gluten-free Emergency Kit

Rate this topic

Hello!

I am going to start making an emergency kit with foods and supplies, and I am wondering what you all put in your kits. I know the basics like water, a bucket, first aid etc. But of gluten-free food, what would be good? Do they make gluten free MREs? Maybe some of those really bad ENER-G loaves of bread that stay good forever? And pasta? Peanut butter? Any advice on canned stuff?

Thanks!

Canned tuna and chicken with the pop-tops for protein. Lots of Lara Bars :D Peanut/almond butters. Crackers. Nuts in vacuum packs. Canned fruits with pop-tops. Sardines. Depends if you are talking about on the road or at home. Some of these things should be kept in the car for bad weather or other emergencies, too, which is why I mentioned the pop-tops. These are the short-term ideas.

There are Gluten-Free MREs out on the market, just google them, they are a little expensive. I have Lara Bars, Cliff Bars, pouch tuna (easier to store and lighter than cans), various crackers, smoked oysters, sardines, peanut butter, canned fruits and veggies (pop top of course), gluten free box soups (you can find them at Trader Joe's), G.O.R.P./Trail mixes. Like Mushroom said, it all depends on where you are keeping/using it for. I like the pouch stuff for in the car to save on space especially on road trips.

Ohh and with the MREs, it is cheaper to buy the ones that don't have the heating element and then buy seperate heating elements then it is to buy the ones with the heating elements.