Maryfrances

Knock, Knock... A Newbie Here

Rate this topic

Hello!

My name is Maryfrances and I have just been diagnosed with CS. I have to say, I am extremely overwhelmed. Basically, after I had my biopsy results read, my Gastro told me I have CS, handed me a bunch of brochures, told me to research online, join a message board (HI!), and read all I can and sent me on my merry way. Needless to say, I'm not fond of this doc.

I'm reading so much that I am confusing myself. I have so many questions! Do I really need to use separate pots and pans!? sheesh!

Seriously, if you all have any advice for a newbie Celiac, I'd sure appreciate it!

I will spend a great deal of time just reading the posts here, as I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered here.

Just a bit about me:

I was born in DC, raised in Silver Spring, MD, now living in Columbia, MD. Blissfully wed for almost 19 years and mom to two great teenage boys.

I love to draw, do beadwork and read in my spare time.

I look forward to meeting you all! Seeing as how this is a LIFE-LONG disease, I guess I'm here to stay!

Thanks in advance,

Maryfrances ;)

Hello Maryfrances,

I have always loved that name! Welcome to our group. I think you will find that being gluten free is not so much a disease as a serious shove in the direction of heathly living. A diet you can not cheat on!

I didn't buy new pots and pans. I have three teens in the house. Two of them are gluten free. So most of the groceries here are gluten free. Feeding teens is expensive so we eat a lot of taco salads with gluten free corn chips and things like that.

Here's a recipe that my kids loved.....

Salsa Meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef

1 cup salsa

1 1/2 cups potato flakes

2 eggs

2 t. salt

2 t. thyme

1 t. pepper

Bake at 375 for 30 mins - top with 1/3 cup salsa and bake for another 10 min

Take care, RA

Just realized I left out the whole point here. You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you make the meals in your home gluten free and fill the cupboards with naturally gluten free foods. That way everyone can just grab a snack and assume it is safe. Nobody needs gluten. And the things that are naturally gluten free like rice and potatos are cheaper than say... gluten free pasta.

Welcome Maryfrances! You will find out so much here. There are many very knowledgeable folks on this board - I read it every day to understand more of what I can and can't have, or how to make what I want, gluten free.

Just take it a step at a time - I did buy new pots and pans, but because I needed them. And get rid of wood items that might have come into contact with gluten: spoons, cutting boards, bowls, etc.

That's my best tip for the startup - I'm only a little over a month in, but I already feel 100% better. Hang in there, and good luck!

PS - I lived in Columbia MD when I was growing up. Very pretty place.

I have just been dignosed too. It is amazing how "little" doctors and the general public for that matter know about this problem.

When I was told that I had to buy a seperate toaster if I eat gluten-free Bread I was like....."Yeah right". This can't be this serious.

I am still trying to absorb all the information, recipes, bread formulas, etc.

Good luck - we need to hang in there and make this work! Marie

I have just been dignosed too. It is amazing how "little" doctors and the general public for that matter know about this problem.

When I was told that I had to buy a seperate toaster if I eat gluten-free Bread I was like....."Yeah right". This can't be this serious.

Get the toaster - trust me, there is no way to clean your old one (I tried) and there's some gluten free bread out there that is pretty darn tasty. I'll never eat textureless, tasteless, wheat bread again! ;)

Get the toaster - trust me, there is no way to clean your old one (I tried) and there's some gluten free bread out there that is pretty darn tasty. I'll never eat textureless, tasteless, wheat bread again! ;)

I did buy a new toaster! I keep it in the box, under the sink. Gluten free bread can be fun to make. We use olive oil and garlic in it sometimes, other time maybe applesauce and cinnimon.

OptimisticMom42:

Thanks!

I love the meatloaf recipe! I will save it as it's the very first gluten-free recipe I've received!

Ciavyn:

Yeah, I will be here a LOT! That's what I still don't quite grasp; Buying all new wooden items. I guess I am still in the denial stage?? I wish my doc would have sat me down and really explained to me what would/could happen if I eat anything with gluten in it! I'm still trying to decipher the difference between Gluten ALLERGY and Gluten INTOLERANCE! *scratches head and shrugs* WOW! Where in Columbia? I'm very close to Merriweather Post! Small world!

mweinand:

Oh good, Another NEWBIE! *sighs of relief* We can learn together! :)

I think the first thing I want to do is look into a bread machine! I wanted one anyway!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!

My husband and i used our Christmas gift certificates from KOHL'S and bought a new 4 slice toaster with individual sides. I have my side, they have theirs! Gave me an excuse to get a new one!

Hello!

My name is Maryfrances and I have just been diagnosed with CS. I have to say, I am extremely overwhelmed. Basically, after I had my biopsy results read, my Gastro told me I have CS, handed me a bunch of brochures, told me to research online, join a message board (HI!), and read all I can and sent me on my merry way. Needless to say, I'm not fond of this doc.

I'm reading so much that I am confusing myself. I have so many questions! Do I really need to use separate pots and pans!? sheesh!

Seriously, if you all have any advice for a newbie Celiac, I'd sure appreciate it!

I will spend a great deal of time just reading the posts here, as I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered here.

Just a bit about me:

I was born in DC, raised in Silver Spring, MD, now living in Columbia, MD. Blissfully wed for almost 19 years and mom to two great teenage boys.

I love to draw, do beadwork and read in my spare time.

I look forward to meeting you all! Seeing as how this is a LIFE-LONG disease, I guess I'm here to stay!

Thanks in advance,

Maryfrances ;)

Welcome MaryFrancisi,

I am newly diagnosed also. I got a new 4 slice toaster so i can have my "own side"!

Maryfrancis,

Welcome, this is the place to learn and share our knowledge.

Lanie940,

Sorry, a four slice toaster will not work for your gluten free bread. It will get contaminated by the wheat bread. You need your own toaster.

Susan

Hi MaryFrances,

I am new to all this also. I did get new pots and pans, cooking utensils, and Glasses for me to keep seperate from the rest. I am trying to baby step this as it has been very overwhelming to read how much you have to change. I am 3 weeks into this and I know for me that this board has helped me with alot and everyone is very supportive.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Maryfrancis,

Welcome, this is the place to learn and share our knowledge.

Lanie940,

Sorry, a four slice toaster will not work for your gluten free bread. It will get contaminated by the wheat bread. You need your own toaster.

Susan

How will it get contaminated by the wheat bread? The sides are seperate and have better than an inch of space between the sides? My family knows my side is the left side. I want to get a little Green(gluten-free) sticker and put it on the handle also. the sides also work independently and have seperate pull out crumb trays, we made sure of that. I assume if there isn't seperate crumb trays it could contaminate it.

How will it get contaminated by the wheat bread? The sides are separate and have better than an inch of space between the sides? My family knows my side is the left side. I want to get a little Green(gluten-free) sticker and put it on the handle also. the sides also work independently and have separate pull out crumb trays, we made sure of that. I assume if there isn't separate crumb trays it could contaminate it.

Hi Laine,

Sorry, but Susan is right. I would not share a toaster at all. Gluten is a very sticky protein. All it would take is to get one wheat crumb in your side & then it would be contaminated with gluten. Then you would continue to get cross contamination every time you used the toaster. I know the kind of toaster you have. I had one too, but I had to give it away since it was used for wheat & I have a strict gluten free kitchen. Now I just have a small little taoster. I know it's a pain, but it's for your health. You might as well let the gluten eaters have the new toaster & buy yourself a small toaster just for you & store it in a safe place. I wouldn't set it by the gluten toaster at all. You know how those crumbs fly...

I help this helps. :)