collins146

Gluten Free Meal Plans

Rate this topic

Are there any universities that actually know what they are doing that accomodate students on a gluten free diet with food provided by the university.There probably are some schools in california that do this, however finding them has been difficult.

Where I go to school - Oregon State University - has a dining hall that serves gluten free food and provides other accommodations for celiac students. I've lived off campus since I've been diagnosed, but I've talked to other people who like the food. There is also a gluten-free bakery in town, so that doensn't hurt.

Penn State (not exactly California, though).

Your best bet would be to contact schools you are interested, and ask to speak to their Dining Halls staff.

Penn State (not exactly California, though).

Your best bet would be to contact schools you are interested, and ask to speak to their Dining Halls staff.

I agree with happygirl. Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA is very conscious of gluten because of several student who have it (including me). I had to attend a required residency for my grad degree there a few weeks ago. They tried really, really hard. One meal got me, but the rest were fine, and individually made just for me. I can't recommend them highly enough! But check with the schools you are interested in, and talk to the cafeteria staff. If they are willing to work hard to keep you healthy, that's a good school.

The University of Wisconsin - LaCrosse has a great meal plan for their gluten free students. My brother went there, and eating in the cafeteria with him was no problem. They've got a freezer full of gluten-free food (frozen pizzas, bread, TV dinner type things) in the back, and the gluten-free students are allowed to go back there and cook stuff in a dedicated microwave. They have egg mix and pans out for students to make their own scrambled eggs or omelets, but the cooks would always give me real eggs and a clean pan if I asked. I never tried to eat any of the hot food offerings. If a student didn't branch out into hot foods, meal time might get a little boring. LaCrosse does have suite-style dorms, too, so you could try to get into one of those to have access to a fridge and kitchen.