Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fakename

I'm Confused About The Symptoms...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you some of the symptoms but a negative for endomysial antibodies (which are supposed to be specific for celiac), then could you still have celiac. I could be wrong, but I think I've also been gluten free about 1 week and 2 days before my test (even though I couldn't totally confirm that I was 100% gluten free but for 4 days straight, I was feeling better).

I really wish I had told that last piece of info to my doctor.

Even on a full gluten diet up to 20% of us will be negative on blood testing. Unfortunately I know this all to well. I am one of those 20% and until I was finally diagnosed I didn't even know what celiac was other than the doctors said I was negative for celiac sprue. A couple even were surprised because I was so clearly celiac by symptoms. They tested over and over with the same negative results. That delayed my diagnosis for many painful years.

So in answer to your question yes you can still have celiac and have negative blood tests. Go with what your body is telling you.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)