ne_mom

How To Bring It Up With Doctor?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this board for a couple of months now and have found it very informative. A bit of background: for years I have had intermittent spells of nausea, mostly noticeable upon waking. More recently, however, I began randomly having pain in the upper center of my stomach. I would go months without this happening, but a couple of months back it lasted for 3 days and I was miserable. This got me to the doctor who thought it sounded like gallstones (that's what I suspected too) so she sent me for an ultrasound. Well, that turned up nothing. Everything looked fine, no stones, no irritation anywhere in my abdominal region. For the past month or so, though, things have really taken a turn for the worse. I will get instantly bloated after eating, I look like I did when I was pregnant. I get really nauseated and feel a general dull pain all over my stomach. It happened a few nights ago and I'm still not feeling back to normal. It almost feels like I have obstruction somewhere. The only thing that seems to help is drinking really hot tea. Oh, this last episode actually brought on a round of diarrhea, but that really did nothing to relieve the discomfort.

OK, all of this to say, that while I'm not certain, I suspect Celiac. When I think back to the times I've had these episodes, it's been after eating things like seitan, cous-cous, beer or whatever. I will say that eating these things does not necessarily cause it, though. I can go days eating whatever and feeling just fine. So I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow and am really afraid she's going to give me the IBS diagnosis. I don't know why, but I just feel like this isn't IBS, but something else. So how do I argue my case, so to speak? It's my understanding that most doctors don't just come right out and suggest testing for Celiac disease. Should I just tell her upfront I want to be checked for that? Should I try just changing my diet and going back later if I see any results? This probably seems like a dumb question, but I'm very non-confrontational and also somewhat distrusting of doctors so this isn't a great scenario for me to be in. Thanks for your advice.

I would just come out and say that you've been researching your symptoms and that you'd like to be tested for celiac disease. Be aware that the blood tests may not be accurate and sometime even the EGD isn't. If you get a negative result I'd try the gluten-free diet anyhow. My blood tested negative but 90% of my symptoms have cleared up on the diet...especially my stomach symptoms. I'd say 99% of the GI related symptoms have cleared up. It's really amazing.

Well, as it turns out I got very lucky at the doctor. As soon as I described what had been going on she said it sounded like it could be Celiac disease. She had me do the blood work in the lab today and is scheduling an endoscopy for me. I feel so relieved that I wasn't given the run around and she didn't brush me off. It feels very strange to be looking forward to a medical procedure, so to speak, but I just desperately want to find out what is wrong.

Well, as it turns out I got very lucky at the doctor. As soon as I described what had been going on she said it sounded like it could be Celiac disease. She had me do the blood work in the lab today and is scheduling an endoscopy for me. I feel so relieved that I wasn't given the run around and she didn't brush me off. It feels very strange to be looking forward to a medical procedure, so to speak, but I just desperately want to find out what is wrong.

I am glad to hear that your dr was open to it. Mine surprised me with it. I get random stomache pain.

Funny you mention the morning. Mine seems to be worse in the morning. But I was pregnant, lol.

Some mornings were so bad I would be curled up in the fetal position, like I had been kicked in the gut.

I always thought it was my meds.

As soon as I got up the nerve to bring it up to the doc(last time got me a barium enema, which I am still horrified from) he instantly brought up celiac.

Doctors are becoming more aware of it. it used to be little known. I did a celiac awareness walk. The only reaon I knew about it is because my step grandmother has it.

But the news is getting out, and you hear more about it. My mum said it is common enough in Italy that most restaurants have gluten free items on their menus.