book-worm

More Susceptible To Colds And Flu Now?

Rate this topic

Guys, with it coming in to winter in Australia again, I

I think you're due for a break. Everything I've read indicates that once your body stops fighting the gluten it is better able to fight the things it should be fighting. :D I miss out on that benefit because I have to suppress my immune system to fight my RA, so while I don't get the colds or flu any more easily, if I do get them it's that much harder tp get rid of them. Gain on the swings, loose on the roundabouts :P

I was sick contantly for years catching every bug that went around. I literally have not even had a cold since I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I don't miss them. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

I can't answer to the celiac part of this, but highly recommend taking supplemental Vitamin D. Getting your levels between 60-70 is ideal for fighting off illness. Mine were 38-39, and I got what I thought was mild H1N1 (here in the Eastern US, it was going around in late October). I've since brought it up to 62, haven't had a cold since. My kids were on Vitamin D, and didn't get flu; same with my husband. There's starting to be more and more information about this out there.

Btw, none of us had flu shots this year. In 2009, I was the only one taking any D and was the only one not to get the flu. That happened in a few friends' houses as well back in 2009--the ones on D avoided the flu, the others didn't. In 2008, we all got the flu (none of us were taking D).

Good luck!

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090223/low-vitamin-d-levels-linked-to-colds

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/swine-flu-prevention (Dr. Oz didn't get swine flu vaccine for his kids, actually)

aside from my gi issues, catching colds/flu and pnuemonia seemed to constantly be a problem because my immune system was so weak. hands down i believe there is a link between celiac and weak immune system. i caught it all despite my healthy intentions!! before diagnosis, i thought it was because of my insomnia and what they claim not getting a proper amount of sleep will do. anyway, working towards my 4th month gluten free, i haven't caught a cold and my allergies even seem to be less intense. and hopefully it will stay that way!!! :)

I have had the same experience--no colds or flu since I have gone off all gluten and trace cross contamination(CC). I do have to be careful if I have been glutened however, and make sure I take time out if I have been. By not doing so in the past I got dreadfully ill with bacterial infections no less!! And yes my history in the past pre going off all trace gluten was that I was always getting sick from colds and flu, and had it worse and longer seemingly than anyone else. It is so very worth it to stay off the gluten and away from CC!

Bea

Also, some people are just more susceptible to colds/flu/stomach bugs. It just depends on what you are genetically predisposed to. My sons friend caught 7 SEPARATE stomach bugs this winter, I caught one, and the baby? None! My husband NEVER gets sick, and I catch colds but thats about it.

I agree with taking vitamin D3, I take it daily, and thankfully got through the winter ok. In addition since going gluten-free my seasonal allergies have been much milder. I hope it gets better for you!