This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Other Way To Put It But That I Stink!

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

I know I've seen this addressed several times but am addressing it again since I'm getting very frustrated.. I want input from others as to what has worked for them. I feel I am at the point where I shouldn't ever go out in public. I don't know when I'm going to be hit with a stink bomb! This happens every day with whatever I eat.

I have read about using activiated charcoal but that it can interfere with absorption of nutrients and I don't want that. I am taking probiotics, which helped years ago but don't seem to help anymore. My doctor suggested I keep trying different strains. Right now I am taking Align brand. They're expensive, but have a 60 day guarantee so either they help or I will get my money back.

I drink at least 9-10 cups of water a day. I've tried digestive enzymes and haven't found a brand that works for me. I went on a candida and elimination diet. I have the candida somewhat under control and am still working on getting rid of it. I've been taking Candex for five weeks and have just added oregano oil to further help it along.

Since I started Candex, plus the candida and elimination diet, I have started sleeping and feeling so much better. The only thing that hasn't improved is the stinky gas. I have a bit of stomach discomfort at times but nothing major.

I'm looking for any and all gluten free things that have worked for others. I know I'm not getting glutened because I don't have diarrhea, which is always a giveaway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

meatslayer Newbie

I stunk before going gluten free.... my gas stopped almost the day I went gluten free? Did you stink before going gluten free?

Korwyn Explorer

This problem for me turned out to be two things: dairy (casein) and pretty much all refined carbs. If I eat more than about 50 grams of refined carbs over a two day period I get that same thing. If I eat 40 or so in a single day I get that as well. By refined carbs I mean: sugar (sucrose, dextrose, maltose), white rice (brown rice is somewhat better), and any kind of refined flours (amaranth, arrowroot, potato, tapioca, rice, and soy flours especially - this was when I was still eating soy).

Whole grain milled Sorghum, millet, buckwheat I do better with. Coconut flour, almond flour, and flax I don't really have much of a problem with, probably due to the relatively low carb content.

Dairy is really bad.

jackay Enthusiast

This problem for me turned out to be two things: dairy (casein) and pretty much all refined carbs. If I eat more than about 50 grams of refined carbs over a two day period I get that same thing.

I have been dairy free for quite some time. Tried plain yogurt one time and plain kefir another and it didn't get any worse (or better). I've been off all sugars and yeast for months because of the candida. Also, I've been off all grains for over six weeks.

What I currently am eating is meat (except for beef), avacado, olive oil, tahini, almonds, sunflower seeds, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, garlic, asparagus, lettuce, brussel sprouts, spinach and green olives. I realize my diet is quite high in fats and proteins. I also realize most of the veggies I eat are gas producing.

I plan on adding non-gluten grains to my diet pretty soon. I miss them:(

I am just in need a medication or supplement that will cut the gas. Supposably Gas-X is gluten free but I've read on this forum that some people feel they get glutened from it.

jackay Enthusiast

I stunk before going gluten free.... my gas stopped almost the day I went gluten free? Did you stink before going gluten free?

I didn't stink before I went gluten free as long as I took a good probiotic. Now that I am gluten free, I stink. Go figure!

Wolicki Enthusiast

How is your stomach acid? I had the same problem: never stunk before gluten-free, only after :blink: Turns out I had low stomach acid and low enzymes. Now I take Betaine HCL before every meal and enzymes after. Any low acid symptoms?

jackay Enthusiast

How is your stomach acid? I had the same problem: never stunk before gluten-free, only after :blink: Turns out I had low stomach acid and low enzymes. Now I take Betaine HCL before every meal and enzymes after. Any low acid symptoms?

What are low stomach acid symptoms? That could possibly be my problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

Easy test. Mix some baking soda with some water. Drink it. If you're not burping like crazy within 5 minutes, this is your problem. Good news it's an easy fix :D

jackay Enthusiast

Easy test. Mix some baking soda with some water. Drink it. If you're not burping like crazy within 5 minutes, this is your problem. Good news it's an easy fix :D

Yes, I got the burps. I see a lot of the Betaine HCL comes with pepsin. Would you suggest I just order the Betaine HCL or the combination?

Wolicki Enthusiast

Jackie,

For the Heidelberg test, if the baking soda makes you burp, you probably do not have low acid. But I am not sure it is 100% accurate,.

Do you have the symptoms in the link? If so, then get Betaine HCL capsules. Not tablets.

Start with one with meals. Next meal take two, and so on, up to eight! If you feel burning with 2 or 3 or 4, etc. go back down to the next lower number. If your meal does not have much protein, don't take the HCL. Take it just before you start eating, or with your first bite. After your last bite, take your enzymes. I like the Pancreatin better than the plant enzymes- 2 after each meal.

HTH

Janie

jackay Enthusiast

I took the quiz and came out at 50%, so low stomach acid could be possibility. As far as the baking soda test with water, I used a lot of baking soda. Didn't know how much to use. Guess I can give the hydrochloric acid a try and see if it helps.

I normally eat some meat with my breakfast. This morning I just had half an avacado and some almonds to see if I was less gassy. Still had some gas but was able to contain it during my exercise class, which was a miracle. It also wasn't as stinky. It appears that I am not digesting meat correctly. I'll give the digestive enzymes a try again.

HeatherY Newbie

Hi,

As I read down this exchange, I wanted to contribute that drinking 1 to 2 glasses of kefir has eliminated my gassy problem. Then I got to this last message, that mentions meat, so I'll add that not all meat is alike! I don't tolerate beef well, but buffalo works as a good substitute. I have a friend who doesn't tolerate chicken at all, so uses turkey and other game birds... Basically I would suggest going with local, high quality meats and changing them around until you narrow down which ones are giving you the gas. When I'm drinking kefir and monitoring my types of meats - voila, no gas! *insert happy face here* :D

• 2 weeks later...
Apache Apprentice

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add my two cents. I've noticed whenever my liver gets over worked it makes my urine smell exactly like the food that I've eaten. Maybe a liver cleanse would help.

Archived