This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Box Of Poison In The Grocery Store!

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

I've just been to the grocery store, and for the first time really spent some time reading labels and browsing the shelves. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to see what I can buy in my regular store (Giant, in northern Virginia) -- rice pasta, and gluten-free baking mixes, gluten-free granola, and bars, etc. But! In the regular baking section there was a BOX of "wheat gluten"! lol... and oy! Now I'm not a baker or a cook (although I suspect I'll be doing more of it now) so I have NO idea why one would want a box of gluten. But my first thought when I saw it was "ack, there's a box of poison in the baking section!" lol... :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaki-clam Enthusiast

My first gluten free Christmas was only three months after my diagnosis. My best friend asked me what I wanted for a gift and I told her some of the Bob's Red Mill gluten free baking mixes. Christmas night rolls around and she presents me with a shoe box full of goodies...brownie mix, corn bread mix....and a bag of high gluten flour..doh..I guess it's used in baking...and for some reason the grocery store she got the stuff at had the high gluten flour in the gluten free aisle....

Roda Rising Star

I believe that it can be used and added to bread to increase the gluten content of the dough/bread. Ugg, yep poison in a box for us. :blink:

lucia Enthusiast

Hilarious ... it's good you had a pleasant experience otherwise though! I bought a box of gluten-free cookies today, and the guy behind the counter who rang them up asked me all kinds of questions - why was I was buying gluten-free cookies?, was it an allergy?, would I be intolerant my whole life? Awareness spreads, and gluten-free baking mixes appear!

AlysounRI Contributor

I believe that it can be used and added to bread to increase the gluten content of the dough/bread. Ugg, yep poison in a box for us. :blink:

Vital wheat gluten is very often added to whole wheat breads to make it hold together more.

I used to make the most beautiful loaf of honey wheat bread that required wheat gluten order to make it hold together and rise more.

Seitan is also poison in a tub for us too.

Get thee from me, Seitan!!!

:P

~Allison

mushroom Proficient

Yeah, we used to add extra gluten to bread too, back in the days before it became evil :ph34r:

Monklady123 Collaborator

Lol Allison. (off now to Google "seitan").. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AlysounRI Contributor

Lol Allison. (off now to Google "seitan").. :)

Seitan is often used by vegetarians and vegans.

It's like tofu in a way.

It's often called the vegetarian's wheat meat:

Open Original Shared Link

The thought of it makes my stomach feel off ... :unsure:

bigbird16 Apprentice

Seitan is often used by vegetarians and vegans.

It's like tofu in a way.

It's often called the vegetarian's wheat meat:

Open Original Shared Link

The thought of it makes my stomach feel off ... unsure.gif

Before going gluten- and soy-free, I always wondered why the Primal Strips that my best friend said were great for a protein pick-me-up and pretty filling always made me feel so ill. They're made from seitan and soy!

Do you remember those bright poison control stickers with the frowny face? When I saw vital wheat gluten for the first time on the grocery store shelf while looking for gluten-free baking goods, I felt like slapping those little stickers onto the packages.ph34r.gif

K

Monklady123 Collaborator

I'm starting to feel a little queasy just re-reading this thread and thinking about an entire box of gluten. :blink: -- Yes, I remember those poison control stickers -- Mr. Yuk, lol... Perfect. :lol:

SwimmingUpstream Newbie

Just like 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'. I have friends that are allergic to nuts and strawberries. I'm glad that I can eat those cause I love'em! I may get pretty sick eating gluten, but at least I don't have to worry about a deadly allergic reaction sending me to the hospital or something.

Skylark Collaborator

I used to bake wonderful rye and 100% whole wheat breads with a couple teaspoons of vital gluten added to the dough. The gluten helps the texture of the dough so the bread gets light and fluffy. When I think back to that time, I remember how horribly tired and depressed I was. Poison in a box for sure! :blink:

Archived