Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ramsfan1

Walmart Great Value Hash Browns

Has anyone else had a problem with these? I eat these all the time for years now and the last 3 or 4 months I've felt like crap. I notices the package changed and now says "May contain traces of Wheat, soy etc..". I could have sworn it used to say that it was just made in a facility that also process this stuff, but the "trace" thing is worrying me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe that by saying "May contain traces of wheat" they are actually just saying that it's made in factory with wheat products and could be cross contaminated. I think it's saying the same thing it used to, just in different words :)

Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

The rule I live by is if I think an item may be causeing an issue I drop it for at least a couple of weeks, see if I feel better, and then if I am still wondering I add it back in for a week and see if I get sick again.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I may be wrong here but I think what happened is that Walmart jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon a few months back and then realized that gluten free doesn't JUST mean that there are no gluten ingredients (didn't think of CC issues). Either that or they were gluten-free mostly and then decided to forget about it and use factories for both gluten-free and G foods. I had half a hard taco the other day (Great Value brand) and it made me ill - I was already not feeling great and it knocked me down for a few hours. For me, that CC - not full on wheat (no gluten ingredients in the product).

FWIW, I no longer trust Great Value and avoid it like that plague - too hit & miss.

We stay away from the great value brand (walmart) frozen potatoes...but we use Ore Ida frozen potatoes all the time..the hasbrowns, tatortots, french fries. They state gluten free right on the package under the ingredients. Sometimes you have to look for the words "gluten free" most of the time they are realy close to the bottom of the package. We eat them with no problems!