This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Honolulu-Woohoo!

celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Took the fam to Oahu for 8 days and we had the BEST time! We had a kitchen in our condo and I did bake 2 loaves of bread to bring with us as well as bringing lots of snacky food and cereal. We hit Whole Foods, Costco and Foodland grocery, stocked up on a few perishable staples and snacks and off we went! I made sure I always had snacks and PBJ sandwiches wherever we went, just in case, and a few times (North Shore) I had to dip into the stash, but otherwise, when we did eat out, we had no problems!

Here are a few places we went:

Honolulu Coffee Co. inside the Westin on Waikiki-they had the best cocoa and gluten-free french macaroons! Even dh came over and asked if they were sure the cookies were gluten-free because they tasted so great!

The Yard House: Great and extensive gluten-free menu. DD was in HEAVEN! DS was equally happy with his hot dog, sans bun and fruit plate. They had Dole fruit bars for dessert there ;)

Dukes: Hats off to Yvonne, the manager who never takes reservations, but took ours so she knew when we were coming and they bent over backwards to make sure the kids had an incredible meal. She told them to pick anything they wanted and she would make sure it was prepared gluten-free! They have a KILLER salad bar there and they even took the kids over to pick their fav veggies and they'd bring fresh ones out from the kitchen!

PF Changs: Always great! This one had WIKI sticks for the kids to play with--it was the quietest meal we had in a week! :)

Every store we went into had gluten-free options, every restaurant staff member we came in contact with was so hospitable and helpful. We just had the bestest time!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Was wondering how the food went. When we went to CA, I enjoyed having a PB & J as I rarely have them at home.

Did you have some knowledge ahead, or did you just get lucky? gluten-free or not, it's cheaper and healthier for my family to eat breakfast in a condo.

I agree! Only 1 breakfast was eaten out and that was on the way to the airport. Great experience there too. Think the name was Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab :) Most places served steamed rice with everything, so the kids had scrambled eggs and rice-which they had to try with jam ;). Kenlove was a huge help, I also did research before, but actually, all the places I listed above were just discovered by walking in or calling right before. So there were actually a lot of options that we didn't have a chance to try!

• 2 months later...
amber Explorer

Hello, Thanks for your post - it is very informative. We are thinking about possibly going to Hawaii but the only thing putting us off is that we have heard that Hawaii is not very good with regards to awareness of celiac disease and gluten free options. We have a 13 year old daughter who is celiac and we have no problem travelling in Australia as awareness is very good but are wary of going overseas. From what you are saying you did not have any problems finding gluten free foods. I think a condo is the way to go and that is what we always do here so at least we can prepare our own breakfasts. It is easy to find gluten free foods such as bread, pasta, crackers etc. in Waikiki? Did you go to any of the chain restaurants such as PH Changs or Outback Steakhouse that have gluten-free menu's? We are not looking for fine dining restaurants really but just somewhere that has good food with gluten free options for our daughter. Thank you.

cap6 Enthusiast

we are frequent visitors in Kauai. We always rent the same little beach house that has a very small kitchen so that we can fix most of our own meals. We walk the beaches a lot so usually pack a lunch. If we eat out the good places are pretty good and you can always get some good grilled fish. Our niece lives there so that is a plus and she directs us towards the local farmer fairs were we get tons of wonderful produce. Nothing like a Hawaiian Gold pineapple, Mango and a glass of wine on the beach for lunch or dinner!

Have a great time!

kenlove Rising Star

its much better and chefs, especially on the Big Island, are much more aware. IN part, because I got celiac 6 years ago and work with all the chefs. On Oahu the new whole foods has a large gluten-free section and all the groceries now have some. the other health food stores like Down to Earth have much better selections than a few years ago. If you tell chefs ahead of time, they are aware. If you need some specific places, just let me know

Ken

Hello, Thanks for your post - it is very informative. We are thinking about possibly going to Hawaii but the only thing putting us off is that we have heard that Hawaii is not very good with regards to awareness of celiac disease and gluten free options. We have a 13 year old daughter who is celiac and we have no problem travelling in Australia as awareness is very good but are wary of going overseas. From what you are saying you did not have any problems finding gluten free foods. I think a condo is the way to go and that is what we always do here so at least we can prepare our own breakfasts. It is easy to find gluten free foods such as bread, pasta, crackers etc. in Waikiki? Did you go to any of the chain restaurants such as PH Changs or Outback Steakhouse that have gluten-free menu's? We are not looking for fine dining restaurants really but just somewhere that has good food with gluten free options for our daughter. Thank you.

kenlove Rising Star

glad it all went well and you could even go to Sam Choys. Have known Sam for 30 years. and although his restaurant is in Honolulu, he lives a few miles from me in Kona.

Nice to hear a good report about Hawaii!

Took the fam to Oahu for 8 days and we had the BEST time! We had a kitchen in our condo and I did bake 2 loaves of bread to bring with us as well as bringing lots of snacky food and cereal. We hit Whole Foods, Costco and Foodland grocery, stocked up on a few perishable staples and snacks and off we went! I made sure I always had snacks and PBJ sandwiches wherever we went, just in case, and a few times (North Shore) I had to dip into the stash, but otherwise, when we did eat out, we had no problems!

Here are a few places we went:

Honolulu Coffee Co. inside the Westin on Waikiki-they had the best cocoa and gluten-free french macaroons! Even dh came over and asked if they were sure the cookies were gluten-free because they tasted so great!

The Yard House: Great and extensive gluten-free menu. DD was in HEAVEN! DS was equally happy with his hot dog, sans bun and fruit plate. They had Dole fruit bars for dessert there ;)

Dukes: Hats off to Yvonne, the manager who never takes reservations, but took ours so she knew when we were coming and they bent over backwards to make sure the kids had an incredible meal. She told them to pick anything they wanted and she would make sure it was prepared gluten-free! They have a KILLER salad bar there and they even took the kids over to pick their fav veggies and they'd bring fresh ones out from the kitchen!

PF Changs: Always great! This one had WIKI sticks for the kids to play with--it was the quietest meal we had in a week! :)

Every store we went into had gluten-free options, every restaurant staff member we came in contact with was so hospitable and helpful. We just had the bestest time!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

We went to PF Changs one night, but I really wanted to try new places. The ones I listed in the first post-Can't recommend more! Great staff, Great time had by all!

• 2 months later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

We went to PF Changs one night, but I really wanted to try new places. The ones I listed in the first post-Can't recommend more! Great staff, Great time had by all!

Bumping this post to add my two cents on travel to Oahu.

Yes, it's best to have a kitchen. So much easier.

However, there is an Outback in both Waikiki and in Hawaii Kai. I've been to the the Hawaii Kai location many times with no issues at all (near Hanauma Bay for you newbies, it's a good stop).

The new(er) Whole Foods in Kahala is fantastic. All of the "usual" gluten-free offerings are available. It's our first stop.

The other supermarkets will always have a limited supply of this and that, Whole Foods is your best bet (or Costco).

The smaller health food store in Kailua, a local chain, is also wonderful. The Kailua area has a ton of vacation rentals and I highly recommend staying on the Windward side (you'll need a car, but it's cheaper when you're making your own food).

Most restaurants in Hawaii DO use lots of Soy Sauce, so CC is very possible. That being said, I've never been CC'd there, mostly due to my own paranoia and eating at home.

I think this next trip, we'll give Dukes Canoe Club another try. We had a wonderful get together there prior to my diagnosis.

Aloha!

Archived