This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reaction? Or Not?

K8ling

K8ling Enthusiast

I posted this under the reaction time thing too, but now I am genuinely confused. I had smoked brisket last night about ten, and went to bed, it seemed fine. It was cooked by my friends dad (her mom is celiac) so he is used to cooking for a celiac/avoiding CC. There was food that had gluten in it around (chicken kabobs) but they went on the grill second. Also, it was a brand new, unused grill. I got up this morning and had yogurt with my son (yobaby, certified gluten-free) and some toast and tea and my stomach is SO upset. That's it though. No D, C, bloating...just an upset stomach. I AM on antibiotics (gluten-free, I checked) but I have been on them for a week. I would think they would make me feel sick sooner than this. It did concern me last night that my friends mom had a beer and when I pointed out that was a HUGE nono she just shrugged. She has DH not stomach upsets so I could kind of see that it might be ok to slip up occasionally (who am I to lecture on celiac? She's grown, if she wants to kill her intestines she can do it). But it made me kind of wonder if maybe they aren't as strict on avoiding CC as I have to be.

Anyway, other things that might be causing stomach upset are gluten-free bun in oven (unlikely but always a possibility since the man just left and we were..ahem...very busy), antibiotics (which are unlikely after taking them a week) or dairy in the yogurt. Am I missing anything?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i-geek Rookie

Honestly, my money is on the antibiotics. They do affect your gut microbiota, so you could be feeling the cumulative effects now. Or you could be right, and your friends may not be as careful about CC as you would be. Sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking it easy and eating light foods. If you took a gluten hit, at least it sounds like it wasn't a heavy one. Hope it passes soon.

K8ling Enthusiast

Yeah I am definitely feeling it today...I just wish I knew what it was! Oh well, at least it's sunday and I can rest with the little monkey. Chicken broth for the win!

Also, could it be the live cultures in the yogurt since there's so many of them and I got pretty much wiped out?

kareng Grand Master

Usually, yogurt is recommended when you take antibiotics. The antibiotics kill live bacteria, good or bad. If the good bacteria in your gut is suseptable to that antibiotic, it coud be wiped out along with your bronchitis germs. The yogurt should help put it back. My son used to get amoxicillan for ear infections. He would get a stomach ache & diarrhea a few days later. A few days of yogurt (half a container in am half in pm) and hew would be better.

But, it sounds like you might not be able to trust those people to cook for you. They don't sound too careful in thier lives with gluten.

Charlie's Girl Apprentice

Pregnant :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Antibiotic D takes a while to hit usually. My bet is also on the antibiotics. They do upset the gut flora but it does usually take a few days for them to do so. What I do when I or my children had to take them is I start with the yogurt on the first day. That seems to help me prevent the GI antibiotic effect from happening. Keep up with the yogurt a couple times a day and hopefully this will ease up soon.

burdee Enthusiast

I posted this under the reaction time thing too, but now I am genuinely confused. I had smoked brisket last night about ten, and went to bed, it seemed fine. It was cooked by my friends dad (her mom is celiac) so he is used to cooking for a celiac/avoiding CC. There was food that had gluten in it around (chicken kabobs) but they went on the grill second. Also, it was a brand new, unused grill. I got up this morning and had yogurt with my son (yobaby, certified gluten-free) and some toast and tea and my stomach is SO upset. That's it though. No D, C, bloating...just an upset stomach. I AM on antibiotics (gluten-free, I checked) but I have been on them for a week. I would think they would make me feel sick sooner than this. It did concern me last night that my friends mom had a beer and when I pointed out that was a HUGE nono she just shrugged. She has DH not stomach upsets so I could kind of see that it might be ok to slip up occasionally (who am I to lecture on celiac? She's grown, if she wants to kill her intestines she can do it). But it made me kind of wonder if maybe they aren't as strict on avoiding CC as I have to be.

Anyway, other things that might be causing stomach upset are gluten-free bun in oven (unlikely but always a possibility since the man just left and we were..ahem...very busy), antibiotics (which are unlikely after taking them a week) or dairy in the yogurt. Am I missing anything?

Yogurt doesn't provide enough good bacteria to compensate for what the antibiotics destroy in your intestines. You may need to take a high dose probiotic (20-50 billion live cells per capsule) during and after your antibiotic treatment. I've been treated for 5 pathogenic intestinal bacteria, 2 parasites and candida. I took probiotics during and after those treatments, but I took them with food, rather than on an empty stomach. Taking probiotics with food reduces the potency, because stomach acid can destroy some of the good bacteria. After I began to take high dose (50 billion live cells per capsule) 2x daily (before breakfast and before bed), I finally stopped getting bloating and discomfort after meals. (Yes, I've also been diagnosed with and abstain from gluten and 6 other delayed reaction food allergies.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

I don't know. Sometimes when I'm having an off day I just wonder if it's a combo of things overloading my system. I agree that those folks don't seem to be taking cross contamination seriously. About the only person I trust to cook for me is my mom since she's gluten intolerant too. I hope you recover quickly. Stinks to feel so bad with a little one in the house.

K8ling Enthusiast

Pregnant :)

HAHA that's what everyone else says too, but they're all joking with me since my husband just left. It is odd though because it's just a really upset stomach. And if it was a bun, it would only be 5 weeks and my morning sickness usually doesn't hit til 10 weeks on the nose. Hmm.

Well, we'll figure it out eventually LOL

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I vote for pregnant or time of month coming on. This may be TMI, but I have noticed a change in my cycle since going gluten free and sometimes the week before my monthly I have some mild stomach upset or nausea. I keep thinking I'm pregnant, but after a few months of this I have noticed the pattern enough to recognize the signs. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, a few days before my period I will have a little nausea and upset stomach.

K8ling Enthusiast

I vote for pregnant or time of month coming on. This may be TMI, but I have noticed a change in my cycle since going gluten free and sometimes the week before my monthly I have some mild stomach upset or nausea. I keep thinking I'm pregnant, but after a few months of this I have noticed the pattern enough to recognize the signs. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, a few days before my period I will have a little nausea and upset stomach.

I am on the pill and we had an antibiotic/Birth control pharmacist communication fail sooooo... I just realized....I COULD be pregnant. Also, instead of being like clockwork I was 2 weeks early and VERY light which has been rare since being diagnosed. Was morel like I was malnourished or something. Also, I just ate 3 pickles- I'm starving and nauseous at the same time. And last night before I even went to my friends house I was feeling...off...

Not good timing if I am, but...what am I going to do? LOL We DID want more kids!

I'll test later today if I can feel good enough to get out and go to the drugstore. I'm on chicken broth and rice noodles until whatever THIS is passes. Y'know, in a few days or 9 months :P

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I am on the pill and we had an antibiotic/Birth control pharmacist communication fail sooooo... I just realized....I COULD be pregnant. Also, instead of being like clockwork I was 2 weeks early and VERY light which has been rare since being diagnosed. Was morel like I was malnourished or something. Also, I just ate 3 pickles- I'm starving and nauseous at the same time. And last night before I even went to my friends house I was feeling...off...

Not good timing if I am, but...what am I going to do? LOL We DID want more kids!

I'll test later today if I can feel good enough to get out and go to the drugstore. I'm on chicken broth and rice noodles until whatever THIS is passes. Y'know, in a few days or 9 months :P

Oh, yes don't some anitbiotics make birth control pills not work or something like that? Could the very light one be implantation spotting? I have heard it's possible to have a light "period" the first month and still be pregnant, but I don't know. Well I hope whatever it is you find out soon. :)

K8ling Enthusiast

LOL yes, some do affect BC. My pharmacist said it wouldn't but after feeling sick I googled the medicine and ... it interacts with MY BC lol. Soooo...Yeah we need to do some sleuthing.

On the off chance it was the food I had last night I tossed the leftovers. Just in case.

kareng Grand Master

With my second baby, I started feeling nauseous a week before my period was due.

K8ling Enthusiast

uh oh. All signs are pointing to knocked up and not the food LOL

Charlie's Girl Apprentice

I believe in signs. :)

Archived