This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Neuro Effects Research

ravenwoodglass

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

T.H. Community Regular

Just curious if you have seen any information on people getting relief from anger as opposed to anxiety? I didn't have the anxiety issues, but I have had irrational anger that wasn't effected by circumstances, but disappeared on going gluten free.

I hope we get to see the paper when you've finished it; it sounds like it will be very interesting! :)

I am hoping to get some answers from those of us who have neuro issues from gluten. I am writing a paper for a class about the neurological effects of celiac. If you have been on the diet at least 6 months and had issues with any of the associated neuro effects please take the poll. It would be quite helpful. You can select multiple answers in case you had multiple impact. No names or comments will be used in the paper only poll numbers.

Thanks for your input. I appretiate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Just voted :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just curious if you have seen any information on people getting relief from anger as opposed to anxiety? I didn't have the anxiety issues, but I have had irrational anger that wasn't effected by circumstances, but disappeared on going gluten free.

I hope we get to see the paper when you've finished it; it sounds like it will be very interesting! :)

I think the irrational anger would fit in but I don't know what you would call it. I used to have those issues also. In my case I was told that it was part of my seizure disorder and I took antiseizure meds for quite a while which brought it under control but the med had really nasty side effects. Don't know if it would be the same for others.

srall Contributor

I considered irrational anger part of my anxiety. It definitely fits in somewhere. I'm so relieved I was able to manage the rage with diet changes and exercises. My doctor had pen in hand to write out a prescription for Xanax. I was willing to do anything to avoid drugs.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I just re-voted by deleting my earlier vote too.

I'm just short of your 6 month gluten-free criteria and responded "yes" to all 4 questions about getting relief from a gluten-free diet.

Regarding anger, I went through a bad period of unreasonable anger before the other neurological symptoms started occuring and approximately 18 months before I was diagnosed. As things became progressively worse, the anger dispelled because depression came in like a lion. Then insomnia. Then increased neuropathy and gait ataxia.

I wonder if there's any correlation to neurological symptoms and dual intolerances of soy and gluten? Maybe another paper down the road?

Thanks.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I just re-voted by deleting my earlier vote too.

I wonder if there's any correlation to neurological symptoms and dual intolerances of soy and gluten? Maybe another paper down the road?

Thanks.

That's an interesting question. I know my neuro symptoms don't occur when I get soyed but don't know if it might impact others neurologically or if those of us who do have neuro issues also are more prone to being intolerant to soy.

rdunbar Explorer

I considered irrational anger part of my anxiety. It definitely fits in somewhere.

No pun intended, right?

I've had huge problems with irrational anger as well, its definatly like a fit, or a siezure. I start shaking and feel like my brain is on fire. This has sabotaged me so many different ways. It's so unpleasant for others, it's been getting much better, but if it does happen now, it's much less severe, and goes away much faster. I'm so encouraged to hear that ravenwoodglass has healed up from this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Glad that it is getting better for you also. That overwhelming rage is definately scarey. It is so nice to be able to feel in control. I hope things continue to improve for you.

MelindaLee Contributor

I am hoping to get some answers from those of us who have neuro issues from gluten. I am writing a paper for a class about the neurological effects of celiac. If you have been on the diet at least 6 months and had issues with any of the associated neuro effects please take the poll. It would be quite helpful. You can select multiple answers in case you had multiple impact. No names or comments will be used in the paper only poll numbers.

Thanks for your input. I appretiate it.

I didn't vote as I have only been gluten-free for 2 months. I have noticed a HUGE improvement in things I didn't even realize could have been related. Migraines, muschle twitches, tingling in arms and leg, dizziness, memory, word retrieval. I don't think I went a long time undiagnosed like many I have read about, so I am thinking I might have just been lucky, and my symptoms have resolved quicker. Just wanted to weigh in...though I realize that you probably can't use the info.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I didn't vote as I have only been gluten-free for 2 months. I have noticed a HUGE improvement in things I didn't even realize could have been related. Migraines, muschle twitches, tingling in arms and leg, dizziness, memory, word retrieval. I don't think I went a long time undiagnosed like many I have read about, so I am thinking I might have just been lucky, and my symptoms have resolved quicker. Just wanted to weigh in...though I realize that you probably can't use the info.

If you have had a great deal of relief that is really good news. Since this is a paper for just my health class and not for clinical research feel free to go ahead and vote. A lot of my symptoms like the migraines and the tingling went away long before six months also. I can see who voted on what even though others can't and I will note if I use your info that you were under the six month mark.

Archived