This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Am A Crazy Person

adab8ca

adab8ca Enthusiast

Stopped at the grocery store after work. Had to walk through the bakery to where I was headed...All the fresh bread...All the pastries...I was STARVING and actually, for one insane moment thought about buying a fresh bun, chewing it and spitting it out. I know it is ridiculous but I. MISS. FRESH. CHEWY. BREAD.I have not really missed it in 4 months but today, I had to grab my stuff and run or someone was gonna get hurt (probably me). I don't even buy gluten-free bread anymore, I think all of it is SO awful, I have not found anything without a horrendous texture and weird smell.

I know, I know, poor me. (tongue firmly planted in cheek but I AM cranky about it). To add to my cranky pants, I am either battling other intolerances or the flu. So grumpy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cypressmyst Explorer

I'm curious. When did you start feeling like you are coming down with the flu and notice you were so grumpy?

Was it before or after you went to the store?

It helps me to think of bread as poison. I haven't had a craving for it since making a conscious effort to switch my thinking on it. :)

Have you tried Rudi's bread? It is the closest I've found and is passable. I don't eat it though, I have brown rice english muffin sandwiches instead. ;) I gave up on bread long before finding Rudi's and now don't really miss it. But someday I might want it back so it is good to know something is edible in the sea of awful that is our gluten-free bread options. :lol:

YoloGx Rookie

I actually got a migraine a couple of hours after walking through a pizza place where they were making fresh pizzas. I used the restroom and then left. This has happened a couple of other times too. Bakeries are out for me. Probably for you too. Its the gluten dust in the air. Sheesh!!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't think you're crazy. You just need to find something that you like better than (or as much as) gluten bread. Don't call it replacing bread in your mind. Nothing will 100% replace it (although IMO there are some decent subs out there). Instead look for something you can safely eat AND ENJOY whenever that craving for bread comes up. Have you tried Chebe? It's a chewy cheese "bread" (the pizza crust can be made without cheese if you can't have dairy at all). Chebe is not like any bread I have had prior to going glutne free, but it's so good! IMO it's BETTER than many gluteny breads. SO I look at it as a treat for those times when I really want a piece of chewy french bread dipped in seasoned olive oil. The texture is similar enough to a chewy ciabata that it doesn't bother me that the taste is different. You just need to find something like that, something that fills your craving (whether you need the right texture or the right taste) even if it's something very unbread-like.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

It might help you to know that I used to be ADDICTED to bread. I would try and incorporate it into all my meals, always volunteer to go to the bakery so I could eat it hot, when people asked what I would have as my final meal it would be 'bread', without a doubt. Cheese bread, olive bread, soda bread, seed bread.... you name it.

I've now been gluten-free for three years and I couldn't care less about bread now, although at first it was hard. When I walk past a bakery I find the smell cloying. They sell corn bread near where I live but I'm not really interested. I'm more interested in eating good quality meat and fatty foods now. So here's hoping you will 'go off' it as your body adapts.

I think for me going off bread was also about having a generally low-carb diet, whereas I used to live off bread and pasta and fruit. Now I have lots of meat, fish, eggs, beans, lentils, and especially vegetables. So I'm not craving carbs like I used to.

Takala Enthusiast

I had a longer reply typed out earlier and lost it. :rolleyes:

Shorter version: that's why we always carry something really good in our purses for a snack. And a lot of us learn to bake gluten free, so we can taylor our individual tastes and needs to finding a bread substitute if we need one.

I eat lower carb and higher fat / protein than the average person, and one of the side effects is that this helps with the crazy sugar and carb cravings because fat is a slower burning fuel. It may also be important to take a B complex vitamin and a calcium magnesium vit D supplement, to cope with the temporary malnourishment and help with cravings.

Skylark Collaborator

It will get easier. I've been gluten-free for six years now and wheat bread isn't even remotely interesting. If I want fresh bread with that great yeasty smell, I bake my own from Bob's mixes. I do like Udi's bread and Glutino bagels.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I think all of us have gone through withdrawals & sadness , after all we have lost part of our very being, everything we trusted our parents to teach us in regards to eating (good or bad habits )are now gone forever.....

Down the road you wll find what you thought tasted so good & you couldn't live without it becomes a why did I crave that stuff.....!!!

I"m a very picky eater who does not want their english muffin to become a hamburger bun, a dinner roll , bread for my deli sandwich, to become my italian bread for pasta night.. I want them all to be different--- VERY DIFFERENT.

Here is what I found to be the best or cream of the gluten-free world...

Everybody Eats: Ficielle rolls, baguettes(think garlic bread)

Joans gluten-free greatbakes: english muffins ( think McDonald's breakfast sandwiches),NY stlye bagels,pan pizza, pizza shells & more

Conte's: pierogi's, ravioli, gnocchi

Udi's: soft bagels, bread...

Bristlol buns: hamburger buns

Seitenbacher gluten-free egg ribbons: (egg noodles)

The Grainless Baker: just look on the site -many good things.

Anna's bread mixes

Betterbatter flour ( a great site for recipe as well.

Miester's flour blend

Domata Living Flour ( seasoned flour for breading fish & chicken)

These are just a few of our favorites.. you may have to order on line but its worth it.

There are many other great bakers/vendors....

hth blessings

mamaw

adab8ca Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! Helps that I am not the only one. Will never eat, won't try but yesterday...arrgh.

Unfortunately, I am in Canada and lots of the "good" breads are not available for some reason and they don't ship to Canada. GLutino bagels aren't too bad but I hate their bread. I use a lot of brown rice tortillas that are from food for life or something like that and they are really tasty, better than wheat I find!

Rice cakes with peanut butter and banana are a new staple...Oh this could be so much worse, getting off my pity pot now :)

Googles Community Regular

I've noticed that whenever I get glutened I start getting cravings for bread again. It makes it so hard to go past the bakery in the grocery store for a few days after the glutening. When most of the time I can go past it now without even noticing that it is there. I try to stay away from people eatting bread and such after I'm glutened because it looks so good.

YoloGx Rookie

Thanks everyone! Helps that I am not the only one. Will never eat, won't try but yesterday...arrgh.

Unfortunately, I am in Canada and lots of the "good" breads are not available for some reason and they don't ship to Canada. GLutino bagels aren't too bad but I hate their bread. I use a lot of brown rice tortillas that are from food for life or something like that and they are really tasty, better than wheat I find!

Rice cakes with peanut butter and banana are a new staple...Oh this could be so much worse, getting off my pity pot now :)

you are lucky you can eat glutino baked goods. For me they give me a migraine... You might want to experiment with making baked goods yourself. Some can be very tasty. I personally like making pancakes using cooked brown rice as part of the mix.

Bea

Luddie Newbie

I've just (Jan 7) gone on an elimination diet to see if I have sensitivity to any other grains besides the usual culprits! Also no nightshades, dairy, soy, latex bearing fruits (the ones with pits) unless they are frozen (assume they are nice and ripe when processed and the latex is gone), nuts, alcohol, chocolate and a bunch of other stuff! Saw the doc last week and asked when I might start adding things back in one by one....he said since I'm doing so well :) I should plan to stay on it for another 3 - 6 months! Can't really argue with him as he has really gotten me this far but right now even a bowl of rice sounds yummy! But it's worth it. I've even tried to imagine the taste and feel of eating a nice piece of dark chocolate. Doesn't do it! :P

Judy3 Contributor

Don't feel alone with craving bread.. I am too. (2 1/2 months gluten free) I've tried every gluten free bread in the store (we don't have Rudi's yet) and I can't stand the texture of most or the smell... I tried to make my own bread but it didn't rise. I'm about to give up on bread too. I bought some Glutino bagels yesterday and they smell awful in the toaster... and they're dry. Oh well I guess it's something that will go away in time as the other's said. Waiting patiently for that to happen.. :)

cassP Contributor

i like Rudi's!

it DOES get easier for sure! ive actually gotten to the point now ( been about 7 months) where i dont even care to look at the bakery stuff at the grocery store.. and today i even got nauseaus smelling the bread loaf isle.

HOWEVER.. i have had random cravings this week.. Krispy Kreme being one of them :/

i am one of those people who feels better with NO grains- and i find giving up grains altogether much more difficult than giving up gluten.

i'm so thankful that our society is becoming more gluten friendly- i went out with friends the other night to the World of Beer, and enjoyed some Woodchuck gluten-free Cider :P

Monklady123 Collaborator

If you can get Chebe (someone else mentioned it) try that. It is very chewy -- for me it was the first thing that I felt was just like "real" bread. Heaven! I ordered mine from Amazon, but you said you were in Canada so I don't know if they ship there. ? If so, give it a try. So yummy!

Other than Chebe I gave up on all of it, except for Udi's. Udi's is good for toast and grilled cheese sandwiches, but Chebe is for when I want that chewy crusty bread. :)

mamaw Community Regular

For Cass p

www. Betterbatter.org has a recipe fpr gluten-free Krispy Kremes..............

Breads are hard for some to find that they enjoy.But there are many breads available that are wonderful. Plus many that come in mixes....Nothing will ever be exactly the same as the bread made with wheat products. Its a re-training of the palate...Another thing is many areas do not have sources for gluten-free & to get the cream of the crop one must do mailorder or become a road warrior....I'm a road warrior for many years now...And when you do this you find excellent gluten-free goodies, so the way to make the trip worth while is to stock up. I become a road warrior about three to four times a year....If you check with the bakers/vendors before hand they may send you a few money off coupons too.....With proper storage all gluten-free things keep well...

Alisagfree Newbie

I must echo the replies of those that posted before me. I can relate to the newly diagnosed.

I am brand-spankin new to this forum and posting. I've been reading since my diagnosis, March 2010,

but have never posted a comment until now.

I have found experimenting with baking to be the best answer for me. I've had several loaves that could have

been used for door stops, so don't loose faith! Bread mixes like Bob's Red Mill and Pamela's bread mix are a great staple to have on hand. I have also baked from the Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking by the Bronski's. There is one baking mix that is used for all of the gluten-free recipes in the book. The bread is very tasty and has good texture.

I feel like in the last 10 months, I've lost my craving for wheat breads. I have a new appreciation for the gluten-free kind. There is the occasional desire for a Krispie Kreme doughnut, however!

Keep experimenting.

Alisa

soundslike? Newbie

Stopped at the grocery store after work. Had to walk through the bakery to where I was headed...All the fresh bread...All the pastries...I was STARVING and actually, for one insane moment thought about buying a fresh bun, chewing it and spitting it out. I know it is ridiculous but I. MISS. FRESH. CHEWY. BREAD.I have not really missed it in 4 months but today, I had to grab my stuff and run or someone was gonna get hurt (probably me). I don't even buy gluten-free bread anymore, I think all of it is SO awful, I have not found anything without a horrendous texture and weird smell.

I know, I know, poor me. (tongue firmly planted in cheek but I AM cranky about it). To add to my cranky pants, I am either battling other intolerances or the flu. So grumpy.

I can sympathize. Gluten free for 4 months too. I have had to re-think how I live and eat, and re-think how I view food. (FYI - Rudi's and Udi's are very good gluten-free breads. Glutino pretzels will be my my Superbowl snacks.) I have spent a lifetime battling chronic fatigue, bouts of depression, significant weight gain and loss, and severe joint and muscle pain. GONE ! These occasional moments where I crave bread or pizza pass even quicker when I think about how good I feel, and how my body has changed. I have lost fat, but gained muscle, am stronger, have more energy and am more focused. It is helping me deal with things much better, including the stresses of my business, and other personal issues. In times past, it would have been far more difficult to cope. To us, this isn't food any longer - it's poison, contaminating body and mind.

Hang in there and be strong. We are not alonehttps://www.celiac.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Archived