This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help!

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

Being new to this I am eliminating obvious things, and confirming others I can still use.

I am most in need of pasta,......spaghetti, and elbows.

Elbows are for baked macaroni and cheese BTW.

Also what do you use to replace normal bread crumbs in say a meatloaf?

This is another item I eat a lot, and can't imagine one without the bread crumbs for consistency.

Last is bread mix that could possibly make a decent pizza at home. Is this even possible?

The pre-made ones I have looked at are tiny,.....I want a decent sized pie.

I will save bread and a possible machine for last as I don't eat a lot of bread/biscuits/pancakes anyway.

Pasta for spaghetti would be with traditional home made meat sauce.

Elbows for mac and cheese also home made. Looking for proper matches in taste, and I can't see plain rice pasta doing that.

I know everyone likes different things, but if I could find some decent pasta and a way to make a nice pizza crust I am pretty much covered at this point and can deal with the change.

Thanks much as always!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Being new to this I am eliminating obvious things, and confirming others I can still use.

This is another item I eat a lot, and can't imagine one without the bread crumbs for consistency.

Last is bread mix that could possibly make a decent pizza at home. Is this even possible?

I will save bread and a possible machine for last as I don't eat a lot of bread/biscuits/pancakes anyway.

Elbows for mac and cheese also home made. Looking for proper matches in taste, and I can't see plain rice pasta doing that.

I know everyone likes different things, but if I could find some decent pasta and a way to make a nice pizza crust I am pretty much covered at this point and can deal with the change.

Thanks much as always!

Breadcrumbs come from my failed breads :) . Bob's bread is good enough for me or you can try Kinnikinnick buns.

I like the quinoa / rice pasta for spaghetti and elbows.(Ancient harvest) The brown rice is ok for penne and spirals.(Bionatura)

Haven't tried pizza crust yet but bought the King Arthur package, will let you know how it goes.. good luck.

Marlie Apprentice

Schar brands just came out with breadcrumbs that I bought the other day. Honestly I haven't tried them yet but all their other products that I have tried so far including their breadsticks have passed my taste tastes. If you can't find the breadcrumbs I would seriously consider buying their breadsticks and throw them into the food processor.

For pasta I so far have had great success with Quinoa which is made of corn and quinoa and it tastes like white grain based pasta to my family.

Best of luck. We are new at this. We are about 4 weeks into this and have tried many things so far.

kitgordon Explorer

For meatloaf I replace the breadcrumbs with half cornmeal and half instant mashed potato flakes.

For pasta, Tinkyada brown rice pastas are pretty good.

Gluten-free Pantry makes a french bread and pizza mix. I haven't tried that yet, but have had good luck with their other mixes.

Good luck, and happy cooking! It's quite the adventure.

mamaw Community Regular

The very best pasta is Bi-Aglut, hands down next is LeVenizanne(sp?) both are top notch.Real deal Italian type. Tinkyada is usually an easy find

Joan's gluten-free greatbakes has a nice size pizza crust plus NY style Bagles, & English Muffins to die for.plus more.

Everyone likes different types of pizza crust, some thin, some pan style, some thick somaybe just google gfpizza crust recipe & you will find one to your liking.

Open Original Shared Link has recipes on the site that are excellent as well as their gluten-free flour.

Domata Living Flour has gluten-free reg flour, Pizza mix to amke at home & seasoned flour....

Gillian's has reg gluten-free bread crumbs & Italain bread crumbs.

Organ , Kinninckinnick, Celaic specialities,The grainless Baker & tons more have gluten-free bread crumbs... orif you putgf bread in oven a low temp for several hours you can turn itinto cubes forstuffing or grind for crumbs.

Depending on where you live you may have to do mailorder like many of us.

hth

mamaw

MelindaLee Contributor

I get both spagetti and elbows from Ancient Harvest. They are very close to traditional wheat pastas. For pizza/bread I like gluten-free pantry's french bread and pizza crust. You can make the crust and freeze it as well. It works very good! I keep my heel of bread, dry it and freeze it for bread crumbs. I have seen canisters of bread crumbs in the gluten-free section of my grocery. I know the canister is red in color but I am not sure of the brand. Good luck. It does get easier!

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks much as always!

For mac and cheese I use Tinkyada Brown Rice Shells--we like them better than the elbows. Spaghetti--Tinkyada Brown Rice, as well.

Pizza crust--Gluten free Pantry French Bread Mix. We get 3 round crusts out of a box. The extra dough freezes well.

Breadcrumbs--I use Gluten Free Pantry French Bread torn into pieces for meatloaf. I soak the pieces with whatever liquid I'm using.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marc49 Explorer

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks!

Seems a number like the Ancient Harvest pasta, and I see that even on Amazon.

That might be what I try first.

I have no doubt it will take some time to find what I like in these type products, but surely I will hit on something.

After doing some reading it sounds like a problem with the elbow macaroni though. I usually add some to my home-made vegetable/meat soup, but sounds like the gluten-free stuff would just turn into goo in that application.

mamaw Community Regular

I put some type of noodle , elbow,ditalani or some shape in many soups& have not a problem but I do use the closest thing to the wheat counterpart.. I cook it in water first ala dente then add it to my soups. It reheats fine but I don't reheat over & over &over again either. I have even froze some with fine results

I have found most egg noodles break apart.. The best for chicken noodle soup is Seitenbacher egg ribbons (gluten-free).Also good for casseroles....

hth

mamaw.

Marc49 Explorer

Found a store here I have never been to before,.....Sweetbay I think.

Anyway I was able to buy a small assortment of gluten-free items including a number of pastas and some flour mixes.

Got some pre-made small pizza crusts, a loaf of 'bread', and some burger buns made by Schar.

Tried the buns last night,......yuck! I guess I could get used to them, but nothing like the package description. You could knock someone out if you hit them in the head with one.

The bread slices are tiny compared to my usual rye bread,....haven't tried the bread yet but I don't have high hopes.

Looks like I might have to become a baker! :o

mamaw Community Regular

Schar buns are not my favorite but do you heat the bun up before using it? Same with most breads, they need a bit of heating to make them more editable....

Marc49 Explorer

Schar buns are not my favorite but do you heat the bun up before using it? Same with most breads, they need a bit of heating to make them more editable....

I wrapped it in a damp paper towel and nuked it for about 20 seconds.

I think next time I will try to toast it in the cuisinart even though I don't typically toast my bread.

As I have said before,....breads will be my biggest issue followed by pasta. Even though I don't eat that much bread, I am used to the really good stuff when I do eat it.

Typically I use fresh french bread buns from the bakery for burgers. Needless to say I don't think I am going to find anything that resembles those in gluten-free.

Can't comment on the pasta yet until I try it.

Takala Enthusiast

You may have to try a bun-in-the-bowl gluten free version, made in the microwave, then toast it, to get a fresh bun.

While I tend to use dark colored whole grainy types of gluten free flours, you could also do this with some rice flour mixtures, with adjustments, such as rice/corn/sorghum, but you might have to add a pinch of xantham gum if it's crumbly.

MelindaLee Contributor

I have made my own egg noodles for soup, but I have also used both Ancient harvest and Schars with great success. I also have frozen them in the soup with no issues.

I like Schars' buns, but I think you might have to nuke them just a bit longer. I also really like Kinickinick's (not sure I spelled that right) Those you also have to nuke for about 30 seconds. Nothing will ever be just like wheat, but you get used to it. I like best Rudi's gluten-free bread for grilled sandwiches. That is as close as you will come (IMHO) to wheat bread. I also found a recipe for beer bread on Bob's Red Mill's site. It uses their Hearty Whole Grain Bread mix. THAT was GREAT. Very nutty and as close to rye as I have found. My DS and I decided it will be great for Ruben's in March! :D

Archived