This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Feel Good

ikayak

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yes I have had my thyroid check. Nothing abnormal. I keep a strict gluten free diet, Its hard to get doctors to get the test I want, I request it and the always tell me I am not being completely gluten free and I don't have problems because I am young. I am not too young anymore and I don't get why doctors treat me like I have lost my mind. I want to record my conversations with doctors, to document them. I have left my last 4 doctors for lack of patient care. Its frustrated.

I have had lots of frustating doctor's visits too. Don't give up. There are some good doctors out there they are just few and far between, especially when you don't have insurance. How recently did you have your thyroid checked? you should be screened every year and they should not just do the typical screening but should order a more in depth panel. Go to the doctors that last tested you and get a copy of all test results for your records. That way you know exactly which tests were run and wha tthey said. Knowledge is power when you go into a drs office. Write down all your questions and everythign you want to tell your doctor before you go in and you will be less likely to get emotional about it. I understand getitng frustrated and I have broken down in tears before when a doctor told me things like: "you just need to exercise more and eat whole wheat bread". then because i was crying they offered anti-depressants. :blink: Many here have had a similar experience. Did these docotrs that told you you were not following the diet correctly ask you what you eat? Or were they telling you the tests still come back with positive antibodies?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Crystal17 Newbie

I have had lots of frustating doctor's visits too. Don't give up. There are some good doctors out there they are just few and far between, especially when you don't have insurance. How recently did you have your thyroid checked? you should be screened every year and they should not just do the typical screening but should order a more in depth panel. Go to the doctors that last tested you and get a copy of all test results for your records. That way you know exactly which tests were run and wha tthey said. Knowledge is power when you go into a drs office. Write down all your questions and everythign you want to tell your doctor before you go in and you will be less likely to get emotional about it. I understand getitng frustrated and I have broken down in tears before when a doctor told me things like: "you just need to exercise more and eat whole wheat bread". then because i was crying they offered anti-depressants. :blink: Many here have had a similar experience. Did these docotrs that told you you were not following the diet correctly ask you what you eat? Or were they telling you the tests still come back with positive antibodies?

They told me this based on my symptoms only. very very few doctors want to run test, they do the initial one at my first visit or they only look at my records from the previous one. I had one doctor constantly putting me on different medication "try this for 2 weeks and see how you feel. The last medicine for my nausea actually made me throw up every morning. I like domperidome but Its difficult to get from Canada. I am going to go dairy free and nightshade free and hopefully cutting out more food will make a better difference. I routinely get my thyroid check every year for diabetes for the last 23 years as well so I am not too worried about it. Thanks for your encouragement, it means a lot because I do not have a support system at home.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

They told me this based on my symptoms only. very very few doctors want to run test, they do the initial one at my first visit or they only look at my records from the previous one. I had one doctor constantly putting me on different medication "try this for 2 weeks and see how you feel. The last medicine for my nausea actually made me throw up every morning. I like domperidome but Its difficult to get from Canada. I am going to go dairy free and nightshade free and hopefully cutting out more food will make a better difference. I routinely get my thyroid check every year for diabetes for the last 23 years as well so I am not too worried about it. Thanks for your encouragement, it means a lot because I do not have a support system at home.

Well that's no good. A follow up celiac test would show how well you are following the diet. A good doctor would be testing you for other things if it's not celiac related OR talkign to you about the possibility of refractory celiac, which is very, very rare but I have seen at least one person on here have it. Refractory celiac is celiac that does not respond to a gluten free diet. It's more likely to be other food intolerances, cross contamination in your food or another auto-immune disease however. If you don't already, you should keep a food and symptom journal to try to see if you can see any patterns in your symptoms. Since food intolerance symptoms could show up anywhere from 20 minutes to a few days after you eat something it's best to write it all down. I hope you can figure it out with your elimination diet.

gary'sgirl Explorer

Have any of you looked into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

After going gluten free I was finding more and more things that I seemed to be intolerant of. It got to the point were I couldn't eat any types of meat, no nightshades and I had to take out more and more grain options and the list kept going.

I didn't have any improvement until I tried the SCD. Within a couple of weeks I was able to start slowly adding meat back into my diet and slowly have been able to add some of the other foods as well.

If you are not getting better after going gluten free I would highly encourage looking into the diet. The science behind it makes a lot of sense and it was originally designed for people suffering from Celiac disease although many other intestinal diseases are also treated with it now (one being leaky gut issues).

WhenDee Rookie

Before I knew I had Celiac's I tried the Eat to Live "diet" (I hate to call it that) from Dr. Fuhrman's book of the same name. I had figured out it was something in my diet, was desperate to feel better and thought I had tried everything else, and I couldn't imagine anything more restrictive than vegan.

What I found is that I felt FANTASTIC eating that way. AMAZING. And even after going gluten-free a few months later, I never felt quite so good. So I'm back to Eat to Live. It is super-healthy, easy to stay gluten-free, and I feel every day like I could run a marathon. Not to mention the weight loss... I find that every time I get "glutened" it is because I deviated from my diet to try something special.

Fatigue was my worst symptom from the gluten days. Even before the acid reflux, the migraines, and the vitamin deficiencies showed up, I was just darn tired all the time. How can you have energy with no nutrition? Have you focused on super nutrition yet?

Since improving my diet I have found that even as I crave sugar, if I eat it I feel like trash for about a whole day afterwards. Caffeine is a killer, too. I'm pretty happy my body gives me such clear signals about how it's really doing - some people eat badly for decades before it just kills them. My body won't let me do that.

Archived