GFreeMO

Arthritis

Rate this topic

Does anyone here with celiac have arthritis as well? I have terrible arthritis in my hand joints and in my neck. I have read that there is a connection with celiac and arthritis. What is the best over the counter med. to take? I have been taking Tylenol but I don't really notice a difference.

Is it osteo or rheumatoid arthritis? And have you seem a rheumatologist? I have psoriatic arthritis which is unresponsive to diet. I got into trouble with NSAID's (prescribed) and almost killed off my kidney so you do have to be careful with your pain meds. It depends on which type you have what you take for it.

I have arthritis as well, or maybe I should say had. I got very lucky and within about 6 months gluten-free it was pretty much in remission unless I get gluten or soy in my system. They tried a lot of different script meds for it but nothing gave me any relief and some even got pulled off the market. The most effective thing for me is plain asprin when things flare.

I have osteoarthritis, too. Developed about 12 years ago, right around the time the "IBS" (ha!) erupted.

It was always manageable/tolerable until the celiac "triggered" in 2008, and now, I am in agony with it: , hands, hips, knees, feet.

I hope that going gluten-free and having the inflammatory response calm down will help in the long run.

Through the years, they gave me several drugs (script NSAIDs) to try (just like Raven--none worked) --and all they did was contribute to the leaky gut. I had no idea what they did to me until I started reading about them years later. They are so dangerous, yet people pop NSAIDs like candy. Tylenol never helps me either. Bummer!

I take nothing for the pain simply because I cannot. My stomach is too much of a mess. Wish I had some helpful advice.

My PT has suggested Turmeric, but again, a bunch of supplements I paid a lot of money for did squat for me. How could they? No absorption in a gut with celiac! The things I know NOW!! :)

Perhaps the aspirin will help? I wish you relief!!

Hello fellow members,

I live in Australia and just joined this forum. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and associated Leaky Gut, and I've found that many of my symptoms can be alleviated with the right diet. It's just figuring out exactly what to avoid, is the biggest problem. Grains including rice, is the major one, and dairy also. I guess it comes down to eating quite a basic diet of veges, herbs, meat, and maybe eggs and good oils like coconut and olive etc, with some ok nuts and seeds also. I'm joining in with you guys in the hope of talking about Leaky gut related topics, and possibly auto-immune disease etc. I feel that folks with Celiac have a lot of knowledge to offer people like me, since you've done a lot of research of your own, and been through some tough times with your illness. I've been eating gluten free breads for a while - the one i eat is yeast, soy and dairy free.....mostly containing quinoa flour, and a little tapioca flour. Somehow I got on the track of reading up on SAPONINS in various foods, including quinoa. The info that i read, related to how saponins can EXACERBATE leaky gut.... UGH!! anyway, that's kinda where I'm up to right now...I always end up confused, just when I think I'm doing some things right :)... buy the way, I find sticking to the diet hard, and go in and out of phases of doing it properly, 100% Right now, I'm not doing it 100%, but not eating grains etc, and other processed stuff.

Thanks for listening... I appreciate this opportunity, and look forward to chatting... - all the best to you !.... Leonie

Hello, and welcome, Leonie from Australia.

When you say you're not 100% right now, I assume you mean gluten free. Our experience on this board is that if gluten is your problem, it is an all or nothing proposition - even that little bit still hurts and you must get rid of it all. Otherwise you keep on making the antigliadin antibodies and your gut continues leaking and you keep developing other intolerances. I am not familiar with saponins and their effect on the body. I am a lectin person, myself. I have discovered that all my intolerances are to high lectin-containing foods, and if I avoid them I am okay. There are lectins in the wheat protein also :( and also in quinoa, which I do not tolerate. Can you not eat any rice?. That makes things a bit tough. Do you handle corn? Nightshades, since they are inflammatory? How about any soy? What about fruit? Were you ever tested for celiac disease? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get to know you :) :) :D

• Upvote 1

Does anyone here with celiac have arthritis as well? I have terrible arthritis in my hand joints and in my neck. I have read that there is a connection with celiac and arthritis. What is the best over the counter med. to take? I have been taking Tylenol but I don't really notice a difference.

I forgot to mention that one of the most effective things for me was a topical rather than something I took orally. Tiger Balm seemed to help a great deal if you can find it. Stuff like BenGay also gave some relief along with hot compresses.

Hello fellow members,

I live in Australia and just joined this forum. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and associated Leaky Gut, and I've found that many of my symptoms can be alleviated with the right diet. It's just figuring out exactly what to avoid, is the biggest problem. Grains including rice, is the major one, and dairy also. I guess it comes down to eating quite a basic diet of veges, herbs, meat, and maybe eggs and good oils like coconut and olive etc, with some ok nuts and seeds also. I'm joining in with you guys in the hope of talking about Leaky gut related topics, and possibly auto-immune disease etc. I feel that folks with Celiac have a lot of knowledge to offer people like me, since you've done a lot of research of your own, and been through some tough times with your illness. I've been eating gluten free breads for a while - the one i eat is yeast, soy and dairy free.....mostly containing quinoa flour, and a little tapioca flour. Somehow I got on the track of reading up on SAPONINS in various foods, including quinoa. The info that i read, related to how saponins can EXACERBATE leaky gut.... UGH!! anyway, that's kinda where I'm up to right now...I always end up confused, just when I think I'm doing some things right :)... buy the way, I find sticking to the diet hard, and go in and out of phases of doing it properly, 100% Right now, I'm not doing it 100%, but not eating grains etc, and other processed stuff.

Thanks for listening... I appreciate this opportunity, and look forward to chatting... - all the best to you !.... Leonie

Hi Leonie!

I can't add much more advice than what the very wise Ms. Mushroom has offered (especially about being 100% gluten free is the key for us)but I say "welcome" and hope there are answers here for you. This forum has been INVALUABLE to me and my healing process.

Best wishes--or should I say "g'day?" ;)

Irish