Rate this topic

I recently was told about a bakery who made gluten free bread out of black beans and rice flour, so I decided to contact them and find out if they offered any other products that were gluten free. They told me that their gluten free bread had some gluten in the yeast but it wasn't enough to "register" and that all yeast had gluten in it.

Is this accurate? I've actually never heard someone say that before in my 7 years as a celiac so I'm just a little confused. I don't know much about yeast but I thought there was such a thing as gluten free yeast.

That being said, would you trust the product?

I do not believe yeast contains gluten...at least Fleischmann's, Red Star, saf and Food Lion brands that I have on hand are gluten-free.

The saga continues. I just said in an e-mail to her

"A lot of people who suffer from celiac disease wouldn't be able to tolerate your bread if there is in fact gluten in it, regardless of the amount.

Thank you for the information,"

and the response was :

"We give all the information to our customers and we do not call it gluten free. We have all of those questions and we are very informed and leave our customers know all of the details. Celiac does have a large umbrella of componients to it. Some are less tollerant than others with perhaps just irritable bowel. That also falls under celic. We do not make any statements to our customers about this I was just informing you this is sometime a possibility depending on the tollerance of the person. We do not have any other items that we make just for that reason. Have a great day."

:angry:

Does this piss anyone else off? I'm actually not even sure how to respond, I mean there are so many things wrong with what she is saying...any suggestions?

Well, now that she has gotten snippy with you I would definitely send her a link that says yeast is gluten free and set her straight on the IBS thing. IBS is not Celiac but a lot of stupid doctors misdiagnose and she isn't helping!

First of all, her/his "answer" is no answer. It isn't even all that coherent. :blink: In any case, this person is grossly misinformed.

I am never surprised by how little people seem to regard the fact that ANY amount of gluten is NOT acceptable for celiacs. (Some think if it is not made with wheat, it is "gluten-free.")

I wouldn't bother responding to this email, hon...you're wasting your precious energy because they probably won't get it. I suppose if you're up for it, you COULD TRY to enlighten them. Doctors don't even get it,...oh well,,,don't get me started on THAT LOL

And yes, several yeasts are gluten free. I think Sylvia has it covered!