This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diagnosed Yesterday

xxkristin

xxkristin Apprentice

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease yesterday, although I've been thinking that I've had it for about a year now. I was tested last August and it came back negative, but I decided to get tested again last week and this time it came back positive.

Can anyone tell me any common foods that contain gluten that aren't really obvious, like pasta and bread?

Also, if there are any tips that you can give me that might make this transition easier, it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi kristin.

Can anyone tell me any common foods that contain gluten that aren't really obvious, like pasta and bread?

Canned soups- in the US I believe Campbells has gluten in all their soups. Progresso has some gluten-free soups, read the labels.

Potato chips, snack chips- many of the flavored ones have gluten. There are some brands that are gluten-free

Kettle brand has some gluten-free flavors.

Cereal- Rice Krispie's, not safe, barley malt in them. Chex has many gluten-free flavors.

I will try to think of more.

Emilushka Contributor

Here are some links that should help.

Gluten-Free Diet Basics

Safe Ingredients and Foods

Unsafe Ingriedients and Foods

Welcome to the community!

mushroom Proficient

Apart from the obvious things, items to check include all candies, chocolate, sauces, marinades, salad dressings, ice cream, soups (practically anything processed, actually, since they sneak gluten into so many things - one of the reasons it is recommended to start with a whole foods only diet, to lessen the chore of label reading.) Many broths contain gluten, you have to be careful of anything other than fresh meat; e.g., rotisserie chicken can have a gluten broth injected). You will need to buy a gluten free soy sauce (Tamari or La Choy),. It sounds daunting at first but if you don't overload yourself on processed stuff at first you will soon get the hang of it. There are plenty of gluten free pastas and breads/mixes, cookies. Spread your wings slowly would be my advice.

xxkristin Apprentice

Thanks a lot everyone. I've been eating a lot of gluten free foods that are labeled as such since I found out that I might be celiac, just to try to reduce the amount of gluten I was eating just in case I was celiac. I found a lot of gluten free granola, crackers, hummus, cereal, pasta, etc. I didn't know, however, that soup might contain gluten; good to know. Does anyone know if you can still eat sushi when you're celiac? It's one of my favorite foods and it would really suck to have to give it up.

Marz Enthusiast

Does anyone know if you can still eat sushi when you're celiac? It's one of my favorite foods and it would really suck to have to give it up.

If you're buying from a store, just look at the label. I think you just have to watch out for the soy sauce, it may contain wheat. If it's from a restaurant, you'll need to ask what's in the sushi, and ask about the soy sauce. I think sushi tastes just fine without the sauce :) Else you can use Tamari sauce - it should always be made from soy beans, whereas soy sauce can be from soy beans or wheat.

Brigit Apprentice

Hi,

welcome to the forum! You'll definitely get all the help you need here - I've only been gluten free two weeks now and have read the forum almost daily to help me along the way. I don't want to repeat everything they've said, as I'm sure you have plenty to get you started.

Keep asking questions, use google and chat to friends. I've been surprised how many people know or are gluten intolerant/sensitive. You'll soon get a great support base going!

Eat lots of fresh veggies, fruit, seeds, nuts, fish - you're new lifestyle definitely does not need to be a boring one!

Once you start feeling the benefits of going gluten free, you'll be super grateful for the changes you are making!

All the best - wishing you fantastic health!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

My chewing gum had gluten. I also found that some of the medications in our cabinet contain gluten - mostly the Children's liquid, flavored, stuff. I just check everything on line or call the manufacturer.

If it is a processed food and does not say "gluten free" on it, I check it.

Cara

Archived