mary77

Can Biopsy Be Positive If Visual Inspection Looks Fine?

Rate this topic

Well...I'm back from my EGD. The paper they gave me at the end says that my intestinal mucosa look normal. Does that mean that the biopsy will likely be negative as well? Have any of you had positive biopsies after "looking" fine through the scope?

Thanks.

Mary

Well...I'm back from my EGD. The paper they gave me at the end says that my intestinal mucosa look normal. Does that mean that the biopsy will likely be negative as well? Have any of you had positive biopsies after "looking" fine through the scope?

Thanks.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Wish I could give you an answer, but I have more questions than answers, at this point. How was the endo? Does it take long, does it hurt, or is it uncomfortable? Any after effects? Did they tell you how long until you will get the official report from the lab? I'm also curious to see what other people have experienced, so hopefully you'll get some good responses here. People are so wonderful about sharing their experiences. Hope you feel better real soon!

Absolutely yes, it is possible for the biopsy to be postive without visible damage to the villi. Only in seriously advanced cases can the damage to the villi be seen with the eye.

The endo wasn't bad. I think I fought them a little because I remember a nurse stroking my face and telling me to take a deep breath. No pain though. It's really true that the anticipation is the worst part of the whole thing. I woke up feeling groggy, but fine. I do have a bit of a sore throat today, but it's not bad, and I suspect it's because I moved around during the test. I looked at the back of my throat and I can see a couple of little red marks. No worse than a mild cold sore throat though. Tylenol helped.

They told me that the biopsy results will be available on Monday. I had it done yesterday at 1pm. I also had bloodwork, which they said will be back mid week next week.

Hi Mary,

Wish I could give you an answer, but I have more questions than answers, at this point. How was the endo? Does it take long, does it hurt, or is it uncomfortable? Any after effects? Did they tell you how long until you will get the official report from the lab? I'm also curious to see what other people have experienced, so hopefully you'll get some good responses here. People are so wonderful about sharing their experiences. Hope you feel better real soon!

Sorry for butting in. :)

The endoscopy takes about 15 minutes, it's absolutely painless and you won't feel or remember anything afterward

I don't remember a single thing from my procedure. Barely remember my husband picking me up and taking me home. I was done at noon and don't really remember much until after about 3:00 PM (I think I'm very sensitive to the seditive). My doctor called with the results one week later. Glad my husband took the day off because I would not have remembered to get the kids from the bus stop.

Cara

Thanks for the information Peter. I'm anxiously awaiting my results. In the meantime, I'm making my first gluten-free grocery list. Gonna try this diet and see if I can start feeling better!