This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burning Above Belly Button?

element192

element192 Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I'm nearing my 3 month mark of being gluten free and for the past 10 days or so I have not had dairy, eggs, spicy food, or coffee. The reason for cutting all of that out is that I've had this nagging, kind of "burning" feeling a couple of inches above my belly button. It kind of comes and goes throughout the day and isn't really painful at all just a little uncomfortable, but mentally it's driving me crazy. I saw my GI a week ago and he didn't really have much of an answer. Is this something that could be Celiac related (I had positive biopsy and blood work) or is this something else altogether?

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this I would really appreciate some feedback. Nothing seems to make it go away.

For background, I've been eating a lot of fruits, bland chicken, white rice, and green beans/peas recently. I also take a multivitamin, vitamin D, magnesium, and a probiotic (only for the past 4 days). I checked and all of these are gluten free.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

What about Soy? Have you considered this as a secondary intolerance you may have? It is very common. Also, yes, stomach pain can be intermittent while you are healing. I would eliminate vegetable oil and any soy exposure and see if it helps.

element192 Rookie

What about Soy? Have you considered this as a secondary intolerance you may have? It is very common. Also, yes, stomach pain can be intermittent while you are healing. I would eliminate vegetable oil and any soy exposure and see if it helps.

Thank you for posting. I don't think I've had anything with soy in it for a couple of weeks now. I haven't eaten any processed foods recently and I haven't added soy to anything so I should be good there. I only use olive oil so I haven't had any vegetable oil either. Hopefully this healing process just hurries up a little... it's getting old already. Thanks again for your suggestions.

IrishHeart Veteran

I get that burning, too!! It's nagging, isn't it!

It was 24/7, often waking me up at night, but it has decreased slowly during these last 3 months (totally gluten-free). I notice it sometimes after eating bananas and after taking my gluten-free/SF/DF vitamins and supplements (so I cut back on those for now), but otherwise, it has decreased significantly.

I know we need vitamins, but too many at once can be difficult to digest. Our digestive tracts are still pretty raw.

I do not eat dairy or soy, no coffee or tea and maybe this is a key as well? (I also take digestive enzymes and a probiotic)

Hope you figure out what's provoking it in you.

element192 Rookie

As terrible as that is for you, I'm a little glad to hear I'm not alone.

Actually mine has been getting better the past few days. I'm thinking it's a result of taking probiotics and just allowing time to heal. I'm also taking digestive enzymes, but just the papaya & pineapple ones sold at Trader Joe's.

Although I've cut so much out of my diet recently, it's really hard for me to blame those things. As far as I can tell, I've never had an actual reaction to anything other than gluten. But maybe they are delaying the healing process...

While I did cut out coffee (which I'm still having a hard time coping with) I have been drinking some green tea recently because it feels soothing after I eat.

Archived