katiekay

Dairy Free Gluten Free Pudding

Rate this topic

Just had awesome chocolate pudding!! Dairy and gluten free!! Very thick... would not know it was dairy free or gluten free. (I used almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

Ok so here is the recipe on my "Let's Do Organic Cornstarch" box for chocolate pudding:

Chocolate Pudding - makes about 2 cups

2 cups soymilk, rice milk, almond milk

3 T. cocoa powder

5 T. cornstarch

1/2 c. sugar

1 t. vanilla

combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding is very thick. Pour into individual serving dishes and chill.

Serving suggestions: top with sliced banana, strawberries, other fruit, or shredded coconut.

So my question - I can not find a recipe for vanilla pudding. I tried to convert a recipe to dairy free but it definitely didn't work. Anyone have a recipe they use??? Would love one for butterscotch too... but vanilla is by far my favorite and my husband and I are not much into chocolate. I am sure there is a way to convert recipe above but I just don't know how to go about it... :) I am not an experienced cook and know it would be more than just taking out the cocoa powder. Hmmm... I wonder if I could make almond pudding by adding almond flavoring instead of vanilla.

Actually, simply removing the cocoa powder would do it. At least for the most part. Although you may want a stronger vanilla taste, depending on the strength of the flavoring you're using. Personally, I'd probably also add some coconut oil, but to each his/her own.

Just had awesome chocolate pudding!! Dairy and gluten free!! Very thick... would not know it was dairy free or gluten free. (I used almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

Ok so here is the recipe on my "Let's Do Organic Cornstarch" box for chocolate pudding:

Chocolate Pudding - makes about 2 cups

2 cups soymilk, rice milk, almond milk

3 T. cocoa powder

5 T. cornstarch

1/2 c. sugar

1 t. vanilla

combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding is very thick. Pour into individual serving dishes and chill.

Serving suggestions: top with sliced banana, strawberries, other fruit, or shredded coconut.

So my question - I can not find a recipe for vanilla pudding. I tried to convert a recipe to dairy free but it definitely didn't work. Anyone have a recipe they use??? Would love one for butterscotch too... but vanilla is by far my favorite and my husband and I are not much into chocolate. I am sure there is a way to convert recipe above but I just don't know how to go about it... :) I am not an experienced cook and know it would be more than just taking out the cocoa powder. Hmmm... I wonder if I could make almond pudding by adding almond flavoring instead of vanilla.

This sounds wonderful! Thank You for sharing. For vanilla maybe you can use some type of vanilla bean powder in place of the cocoa? I have no idea what brands are gluten free/dairy free but I know I have seen vanilla powder or vanilla sugar that is just like powdered sugar and ground vanilla beans. Maybe you can make your own? I'm not sure...Let us know if you come up with anything. I don't know what you could do for butterscotch flavor.

thank you guys!! :) I should just try it and see what happens. In my gluten free cook book she talked about how picky it was to convert recipes... had to have the correct amount of dry and wet... but probably with this it wont be a big deal.

what a great idea... I have never bought vanilla beans b4 but probably easy to find! Thank you for posting the recipe.

There's also trying banana for a non-chocolate flavor. mark bittmas has a silken tofu banana recipe in food matters that looks interesting.

For those who may not know, vanilla powder is not used like cocoa powder. It is used just like vanilla extract. That is, in small amounts, as flavoring only. Some recipes cannot tolerate the water or alcohol in the liquid extract, and there can be other factors such as color to consider.

While vanilla pudding doesn't require powdered or ground vanilla, using a high quality vanilla in recipes really can make a big difference.