Jenn624

My 13 Year Old Is Going To Try Going Gluten-Free

Rate this topic

I convinced him to try it for at least a week. He's been having some stomach issues, is tired all the time, and has huge dark circles under his eyes. He was allergic to virtually everything when he was born, outgrew everything but peanuts, and then at 11 tested negative for peanuts too! He still avoids all peanuts, but he's found he hasn't been feeling well lately and thinks it could be food. I told him I would help him with whatever he wanted to try, so he decided to try going without gluten. I pray this helps him feel better and focus more clearly at school. He went from a straight A student to B's and C's this year. So unlike him...

Wish us luck!

Jenn

Before he goes gluten-free why not have the testing done ? He is school age & may need documentation for school. If he goes gluten-free & feels better it will be hard to get a correct dx's. A person needs to be eating wheat & gluten to get a proper , correct dx's.

It will make things much better for school if he does testing first....

I don't have a problem with adults going gluten-free without a dx's but think kids should be tested, bloodwork & an endo with biospies.. If that comes back negative then the child isstill having issues then I would do the gluten-free diet for at least three months, strictly....

This is just my opinion...that way you may know if he is celiac or gluten sensitive.

I know our gluten-free kids had to have a paper from the doc that

they had celiac & could not take the cooking class in school & eat what was made. Plus I remember the flour fights & flour& water battles we had way back when in cooking class.... blessings

mamaw

I wish my daughter would try it. Her blood test was negative so the doctor doesn't think she needs further testing...gave her the IBS run around and said she probably just eats too much junk food.

So we go through an endless loop...she eats, she gets sick. She says she is going gluten-free. By the next meal she feels ok and decides it's too hard and the doctor said she is fine anyhow. Rinse and repeat! :rolleyes:

Maybe your daughter does not have Celiac but gluten sensitivity. There are more gluten sensitive people than full- blown villi damaged celiac people.......The best way to find out is to do a three month gluten challenge. Being very strict...

Today is day 3 without wheat for my son and he looks and feels great. He is more polite, and smiles all the time. He says he can't believe how great he feels!!!

Jenn

That is WONDERFUL to hear!! I'm happy for both of you! My son had the same immediate positive response to going gluten free 6 months ago. It has been a thrill to watch him feel good and not struggle with all the things he used to struggle with.

That is wonderful news. About a couple of weeks into it my son decided to cheat on pizza and I let him. He immediately got a severe stomach ache and said, "I'm never eating gluten again mom, you were right." Our home has been happily gluten free since then. :)

Hope your success and his good feelings continue!