Lexi

What Is The Deal With Puffins?

Rate this topic

If any of you fellow Celiac's are like me, I get really excited when I see a new Gluten Free Food on the shelf. When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I started eating Puffins Cereal, and LOVED it!!! I soon found out that it was wheat free supposively, but not gluten free. It also contained soy (I think). Anyway, the other day I saw that Puffins now said, "Gluten Free" on the box. I was very excited! Anyway, when I looked closer, it said that it is verified to contain less than 20 ppm gluten. I do not understand this. It's either gluten free or it's not, right??? What does this mean? I've heard this before and never knew what it meant. Also, it says, contains soy (in corn). What does that mean? I can't do soy, but does that mean the soy is in the corn?? Anyway, I ate the cereal for 2 days, and Loved it again - but did not feel well those 2 days. Had D both days, and felt like my muscles were aching. Let down again!!! Just wondering if anyone could give any helpful info on this. Thanks!

(20 parts per million) 20 ppm. Maybe that isn't low enough for your system..?

The most common test used only catches gluten levels over 20 ppm, and that's the standard that officially "patients with celiac disease tolerate" but you may or may not tolerate the levels which are likely present from general contamination, like 5 or 10 ppm.