This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cracked Heels Healed!

possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

I have had badly dry and cracked heels for years and since going gluten free 3 and a half months ago, they have HEALED!

I noticed it a couple of weeks ago! Now it's some calous but no more cracks. before they were deep cracks to the point that i was a little worried.

It's just incredible. How can it be?? anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiacindiana Newbie

I have had badly dry and cracked heels for years and since going gluten free 3 and a half months ago, they have HEALED!

I noticed it a couple of weeks ago! Now it's some calous but no more cracks. before they were deep cracks to the point that i was a little worried.

It's just incredible. How can it be?? anyone else?

That is so funny because just yesterday I was thinking about how my heels have felt sooooo smooth! I was diagnosed with celiac disease in Sept 10 so 8 months gluten free. Funny coincedence? Who knows? I like it though!

kareng Grand Master

You are now able to actually absorb and use the vitamins & minerals you were eating. Maybe that is helping your skin.

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

I read that cracked heels can be a symptom of hypothiroidism (and diabetes?)? maybe my thyroid was affected by the gluten? (even if i tested normal for thyroid tests).

But it is no coicidence, I am sure that our smoother heels are related to diet change. i had had this issue for years and it was bad, very cracked and dry.

:)

• 4 months later...
GirlFromIpanema Newbie

Same thing here! My cracked heels also healed! I have been gluten-free for 2.5 months (since diagnosis) now and there are so many little things here and there getting better in my body that never in one million years I would think it was related to gluten! I told my husband about it and automatically dismissed it. But now I know it is and I am not alone.

I have also noticed that my body temperature increase, which in my case it is actually GREAT! I used to be cold all the time! I no longer take super hot showers nor need to run under blankes after showering.

love2travel Mentor

My heels are no longer cracked, either. The cracks used to be so deep I would have to fish out the fuzzies from my socks! Definitely an malabsorption issue. I am also taking tons of magnesium which is said to help with skin and other things. My skin is definitely softer, too. :)

• 2 months later...
Jossie Newbie

Just another one whose cracked heels improved with a gluten free diet. I saw an improvement within four days though at two months I still have dry skin where the deep cracks use to be. I am amazed at how many little things I just accepted as the way my body was turned out to be related to eating gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

carecare Enthusiast

I'm happy to hear this. I hate my cracked dry heals...and have not been able to sleep without socks on for such a long time because I can't stand the feeling of them brushing up against my sheets. Crossing my fingers that my cracked heals improve once I'm through testing and am gluten free after Monday! :)

Archived