This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lay's Potato Chips?

niki-moen22

niki-moen22 Newbie

My daughter & I both have celiac disease. I was diagnosed at 2 years old & she was just recently diagnosed at age 7. She takes her lunch to school every day now, so I started searching for chips that are gluten-free. I enjoy Lays Stax, but she doesn't so I thought I'd try the Original Wavy Lays. The website says gluten free, so does the package. However, she ate them yesterday & this morning she felt sick, tired & irritable. I ate them today (a few hours ago) and went from feeling great to feeling contaminated; tired, extremely irritable & I have a headache. Has anyone else had issues with this? As of right now, neither of us has been diagnosed with any other allergies. I am very sensitive to carrageenan, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Some Lay's products have CC issues. Not sure it that is the problem in this case.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I was just about to ask if anyone has had any problems with the newly declared gluten-free products from Lay's.

Some people suffer from an intolerance to foods containing gluten, which is a type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Frito-Lay has validated through analytical testing that the following products contain less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Please note: The information provided pertains only to products made and distributed in the U.S. Products sold in other countries under similar brands may be made using slightly different recipes and ingredients to accommodate local needs and preferences.

Last updated April 5, 2011

BAKED! LAY'S® Original Potato Crisps

BAKED! RUFFLES® Original Potato Crisps

BAKED! TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips

FRITOS® Lightly Salted Corn Chips

FRITOS® Original Corn Chips

FRITOS® SCOOPS!® Corn Chips

LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips

LAY'S® Deli Style Potato Chips

LAY'S® Lightly Salted Potato Chips

LAY'S® Natural Sea Salt Flavored Thick Cut Potato Chips

LAY'S® STAX® Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps

LAY'S® STAX® Mesquite Barbecue Flavored Potato Crisps

LAY'S® STAX® Original Potato Crisps

LAY'S® STAX® Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Crisps

LAY'S® STAX® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps

LAY'S® Wavy Original Potato Chips

RUFFLES® Natural Reduced Fat Sea Salted Potato Chips

RUFFLES® Original Potato Chips

RUFFLES® Reduced Fat Original Potato Chips

TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips

And it clearly indicates that chips you ate are supposed to be gluten-free. Is there anything else you could both attribute the feeling of s$#&tiness to? I'm just wondering - sometimes when I think I've been C'd it's really something else. Like eating fruit with meals used to give some similar symptoms of consuming gluten.

Looks like for now I'll stay away though - never worth the risk.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've never had any problems with Frito-Lay, I work with them directly for my job and feel pretty comfortable with their methonds of cleaning the lines. However, the list I have from them is much larger!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I know that I have reacted to gluten free food that tested by the company to less than 20 ppm, even less than 5 ppm. Some of us do and call ourselves super sensitive celiacs. You and your daughter may be in this group.

mommida Enthusiast

Is it possible you are coming down with a bug?

If you are super sensitive you will find you react to less than 20 ppm.

Potato chip are just always eaten with your fingers and there is just more CC risk. Especially kids in school sharing food. You have others in the house who are not gluten free?

niki-moen22 Newbie

I am super sensitive, so its a good possibility that she is, also. I don't think we're coming down with any bugs because I feel totally fine today. My husband & 3 other children are not gluten-free (yet) but we are very, very careful. My husband & I are the only ones who ever touch the food & we make sure our hands are clean. However, this will not be an issue for much longer because my 3 other children had the blood tests a few weeks ago & 2 of them had levels through the roof (my youngest daughter's results were so high that they sent them back to be retested). As soon as they have the biopsies & diagnosis, then our entire family will be gluten-free. That's the other reason I was wondering about Lay's; I will soon be packing a lot more school lunches. Plus, we all love chips now & then! In the future, I suppose we just won't have the regular Lay's chips anymore. I have never gotten sick from the Stax so I might stick with those. Or, I may just start making my own potato chips! :-D I appreciate all the replies, thank you all so much! I'm so glad to belong to an online community like this where I can have questions answered.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I am a super sensitive celiac. I have reacted to plain Lays. I don't eat them anymore. I do however, eat the Stax. I have eaten many many cans and have never gotten sick. I don't know if your daughter likes corn chips but Mission Corn Chips are gluten free and produced on dedicated equipment. I eat a lot of those too. They are the only 2 chips that I will eat.

Archived