This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Here Ever Developed Chronic Dh After Going Gluten Free?

George Knighton

George Knighton Apprentice

I used to have a mild form of rash all over my skin, but after going gluten and casein free for 5 days now, the rashes are spreading and turning red. My eczema is also scaling and inflamming red. One night I had a major dose of hives on both of my arms. I haven't broke out like this since I ingested cows milk last year. Is this a normal process for the body that is removing generations of ingested wheat pushing to the surface of the skin? Or is it something else? I was feeling really doubtful thinking that my DH feeds off wheat and because its not in my system it may be aggregating my DH.

All I remember adding to my diet was extra virgin olive oil, gluten free honey bbq sauce, and hickory smoked ham.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Hickory smoked ham? Many, many hams contain gluten. In fact, the only ham I've been able to eat since going gluten free is Honey-Baked Ham, and that's because they state that it's gluten free. My husband recently wanted to serve ham, and I told him "good luck," because it's hard to find gluten-free ham. He called around to various companies and was unsuccessful in finding one....so no ham was served. You might try calling the company of the ham you ate.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hickory smoked ham? Many, many hams contain gluten. In fact, the only ham I've been able to eat since going gluten free is Honey-Baked Ham, and that's because they state that it's gluten free. My husband recently wanted to serve ham, and I told him "good luck," because it's hard to find gluten-free ham. He called around to various companies and was unsuccessful in finding one....so no ham was served. You might try calling the company of the ham you ate.

I would disagree that a lot of ham contains gluten. After all, ham is simply pork that has been cured. Now if you're getting into glazes, for example, then that could easily change the equation. A brand that immediately comes to mind is Hormel: Open Original Shared Link

We had a John F. Martin ham for Easter and it was certainly gluten-free or I'd have been sick for the entire week.

George Knighton Apprentice

I purchased a Kirkland Signature brand of hickory smoke ham and there's nothing on the ingredients that lists any traces of gluten.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

DH can be activated by iodine too. ham is salty. When I eat salty food my DH breaks out. You have to limit iodine temporarily to get rid of the antibodies. Iodine keeps the IgA antibodies active.

What ingredients were you referring to Rosetapper? I am interested in knowing what those hams contained so I can watch for it. I haven't read anything on hams that looks like gluten to me, but I could be wrong.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Sorry--yes, I was referring to the fancy, spiral-cut hams (the type that one would serve for Easter dinner). I know that Hormel is very good about producing gluten-free products, but I consider that everyday ham. As for Kirkland, I'd like to believe that it's gluten free--does anyone know for sure that it is? As we all know, gluten doesn't have to be listed as an ingredient (it can be referred to as artificial color, artificial or natural flavors, etc.). Before I knew I had celiac, I used to purchase the Kirkland brand spiral ham. Does anyone know if it's safe?

sa1937 Community Regular

Guess we're the "plain ham people". I've never bought spiral-cut ham. No Costco aroound here either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchy Rookie

George,

In my case some areas of my skin continued to get worse as other areas were getting better and I was (in theory at least) gluten free. So I'm guessing that there is a certain 'momentum' in the disease, whereby the immune response continues to build in some areas even as the general situation is improving. After a lengthy period these last lesions have mostly healed. Or maybe I was still getting gluten from some hidden source.

But your experience sounds more extreme and seems more like a severe glutening from some source you didn't expect. Or maybe it's not DH.

rdunbar Explorer

i wouldn't call DH a 'mild form of a rash'. maybe it's not DH? there are lots of other skin problems that gluten seems to have an effect on; that is, it improves when removing gluten from the diet. apparantly, people have had psoriosis and eczema improve on a gluten free diet.

DH is another can of worms though, being full on autoimmune.

DH in my experience is really extreme, not 'mild'. open lesions that burn and sting so much it drives you crazy. the blisters, or sores weep, and ooze. it feels like its a reaction that is coming from inside you, and bubbling up through your skin. when it is flaring up, the lesions are more raised. you can't stop scratching at it. when you do, it's beyond painful, and showering is extremely painful,

either way, the answer is the same though; avoid gluten like the plague.

supposedly, people with DH are more sensative to trace amounts of gluten, whatever that means.

like, i would'nt even consider eating Ham, that is processed and packaged.

i would'nt even consider taking that risk. i don't know if it's contaminated with trace gluten, and if i don't eat it, i don't have to care if it does or not.

there are plenty of other meats that i don't have to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...
Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Just to clarify, psoriasis is a "full on autoimmune" disorder too. ;)

Archived