This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Fix Son For Lunch?

Ann1231

Ann1231 Enthusiast

my teenage son is showing definite signs of celiac. he works 70+ miles away and has to pack his lunch, no refrigeration. He's been packing sandwiches along with an ice pack but I want to fix something without bread. We're in a very small town and to my knowledge, there's no gluten-free breads available here. He leaves home at 6:00 am, eats lunch at 12:00 and returns home around 6:30 pm. He's also hypoglycemic so fruit is very limited. His lunch has to get him thru 6 hours so it has to be substantial.

thank you!!

ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

*Use lettuce and do rollups

*Do rollups without the lettuce (lunchmeat, cheese, squirt of mayo)

*Use corn tortillas

*Make quesadillas and eat them cold like a sandwich

*Use the gluten-free bread and make sandwiches

*Cold bbqed or fried hamburger and ketchup

Throw in a sandwich bag of chips or some veggies and ranch dip. Just make sure you always use his ice pack and you should be fine. Also think about freezing a bottle of water and using that as his drink/ice pack.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Order Kinnikinnick breads on line. www.kinnikinnick.com

White tapicoa bread is good. The bagels are good. The donuts are good.

Lightly toast to remove moisture. Will stay great until he eats them. My child goes to school with his and they're fine.

Sandwiches that are full of calories will keep him going the longest.

Target sells great thermos coolers......small, meal-sized cups that keep food COLD or HOT. Put Chicken salad, tuna, beef stew, hot chicken etc in one of those containers and a baggie with bread.

Chebe bread. Order on line by the case.

We chop pepperoni and put it in chebe bread. Add mozzerella and garlic salt. A small tupperware side of spaghetti sauce. Roll chebe dough with pepperoni and cheese into sticks. Bake. Makes Pizza sticks. Very filling.

If he eats those lunch meat roll ups, add some carbs to keep it from being too Atkins. He'll lose weight if he's eating too many meals Atkin's style.

Beef stew is great and filling. If you prepare a big pot on Sunday (homemade of course. Brown meat add onions, salt pepper, garlic salt and other veggies....Simmer all day long. Put in 'stay hot' cup (can be found at target, wal-mart, k-mart) along with some Chebe balls. Yum and filling for hours.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

great ideas! thank you. this is new for us so we're still in the learning and experimenting stage...don't want to do TOO much experimenting and get into health troubles.

thanks again!!

ann

grantschoep Contributor

Dinty Moore beef stew is also Gluten free. I eat that alot at work, I just keep a can opener, at work, and bring along an empty tuppawaqre container and bring a can of Dinty Moore or Hormel Chili into work each day. Both are gluten-free and can make nice filling meals.

Open Original Shared Link

This assume a microwave. I just thought I would mention it, as you mentioned beef stew, home cooked. I make my own great beef stew too, but I just love being able to find something like Dinty Moore or whatever out of a can that is actualoly gluten-free and I can be lazy and make up quick too.

Hormel is really good about that stuff.

Beef stew is great and filling.  If you prepare a big pot on Sunday (homemade of course.  Brown meat add onions, salt pepper, garlic salt and other veggies....Simmer all day long.  Put in 'stay hot' cup (can be found at target, wal-mart, k-mart) along with some Chebe balls.  Yum and filling for hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tarnalberry Community Regular

There's so much more to lunch than sandwhiches! :-)

* Rice cakes with peanut butter work well for me for not giving me a blood sugar crash.

* Raw veggies are also good - pack some bean dip (combine a can of beans, half a small can of tomato paste, italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt in a food processor and you've got italian bean dip) to go with it for some added protein. (Add some olive oil to the dip if you want to add a bit of fat to round out the composition of the meal.)

* Leftovers! I don't know if he's got a place to reheat food, or can take an insulated thermos, but homemade chili, stew, or soup (mmm... homemade chicken soup... so easy, so tasty...) are great. Since I have access to a microwave, I often bring stir-fry leftovers.

* The lunch meat/lettuce wrapes are a great idea (if he can have dairy, cheese can be added too), and tasty. (Make sure to find gluten-free lunch meat, but that's usually not a problem.)

* Pasta/veggie/bean salads. I've done things like a shrimp salad (chopped baby spinach with salad shrimp, avocado, lemon juice, and tomatoes) or a bean salad (a couple varieties of beans, carrots, onions, sweet peppers, and avocado with a oil/vinegar dressing (with appropriate seasonings, of course) or a crab pasta salad (crab meat, cooked gluten-free pasta, blanched broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and a vinaigrette dressing) or a tuna salad (tuna, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sweet peppers, and a soy-based sour cream/yogurt dressing (I can't have dairy)).

* A handful of nuts is always nice too.

Merika Contributor

Tarnalberry,

I want you to pack MY lunch! :D

Merika

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

lol, thanks! ;-) I'll just keep working on getting everyone to know from first hand experience that healthy, tasty, fast, gluten-free meal creation isn't just a dream! ;-)

Oh, I should have put tuna tacos in there... essentually a tuna salad (with less lettuce) wrapped in corn tortillas (though I do the wrapping at eating time, not packing lunch time or the tortillas get *really* soggy-icky).

Archived