Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest barbara3675

Walmart Going Gluten Free

Guest barbara3675

On my MSNBC homepage yesterday they stated that WalMart is requiring that all of their providers to their own label state whether there is gluten in that product. They stated that over 900 already have agreed to it out of aproximately 1200. They said we should see it appearing on the shelves in about two weeks. SO, people let's get to WalMart and check this out. I know that some of their products are already gluten-free, but now they say that they will be marked as such. This is going to be a very good thing. I live apx. 45 minutes from the nearest WalMart superstore, but I really do go there pretty often and surely will if I know of this convenience.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

"They stated that over 900 already have agreed to it out of aproximately 1200."

I think the story said that so far 900 out of 1,200 products are gluten-free. Walmart is requiring -- not asking -- that manufacturers comply.

Anyway, this is good news. I've also noticed that more and more Kroger products are listing the top eight allergens. Of course this will be required of everybody in a few months.

richard

Guest gliX

About a year ago I heard legislation was passed to require companies to list if their products contain gluten.

So this legislation is going into effect now and within the next few months?

It's also a good idea to fire off a quick email offering a sentiment of appreciation in regards to this effort to keep us informed of the gluten status. It takes a few minutes to look up Wal-Marts head office on line. If they see a positive response, they'll capitalize on that appreciation. When other food suppliers hear of the positive publicity, they'll follow suit. I think the Celiac community is facing a wall of dominoes these days. We just need to push altogether at this point.

I believe in God.

Gluten free products are definitely becoming more "mainstream" and getting notice. This is great news for all of us!

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

About a year ago I heard legislation was passed to require companies to list if their products contain gluten.

So this legislation is going into effect now and within the next few months?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is from http://www.gluten free.com/actf-update.htm

7/20/04

The U.S. House of Representatives, under the leadership of Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY), passed the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (S. 741).

This landmark legislation will require the top 8 food allergens [milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy] to be listed on food labels by January 1, 2006.

The bill also requires the FDA to develop rules for the use of the term 'gluten-free' on product labels by January 2008.

It looks like the "gluten-free" law wont be in effect until Jan '08, but every step on the way there is good :) Yay for Wal-mart!

- Michelle :wub:

Guest barbara3675

Thanks for the address...just went there and wrote them a fan letter. I have always been such a WalMart fan, this is just one more reason for me to make the 45 minute (one way) trip to my nearest WalMart superstore. Their prices are so much better than the two grocery stores in my area as I live in a remote part of northern Wisconsin, which is a resort area and they have some pretty high prices here. I think I probably have enough shopping at WalMart to justify the trip.

Barbara

Wal-mart replied saying they've had many favorable responses to their effort to inform consumers of the gluten status of their products. Good for us!

I believe in God.

I also did the e-mail thing. I used to shop at Walmart regularly. Now I stop in every now and then to buy Progresso soups we can have. They are soooo much cheaper there. It will be nice to be able to pick up items in the grocery area again. Now if we can get them to stop injecting their meats with a solution, we will be in good shape. Oh yes, and they really desparately need to fix the handicapped parking at most of them. We drive a different direction by several miles to use a specific store because of the great parking.

Donna

South Georgia

9 yrs gluten-free

...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

The bill also requires the FDA to develop rules for the use of the term 'gluten-free' on product labels by January 2008.

I posted yesterday about an announcement from the FDA that they are holding public hearings in August to solicit comments on the gluten free labeling issue. The post is under the gluten-free Ingredients and Food Labeling Issues forum.

Laurie

Mom to:

Hayley age 4, gluten-free at 26 months

Clark age 3, negative celiac bloodwork

Just fired off a thank you email to them. I hope everyone does. Companies realy need to be told when they do somthing RIGHT, not when just they scrwe up. :D

- Vincent -

Got a reply from Walmart!

First, this is what I sent...

Walmart,

I was recently told that you will be requiring all your suppliers for

your Great Value brand to disclose gluten. My son and I both have Celiac

Disease and this is a major help for us. When we were diagnosed with celiac disease

we cut back our shopping at Walmart becuase it was shuch a pain to have

yet another store to check everything in. It was easier to pay more else

where, just to limit the number of phone calls that we had to make

checking on things. But this change of yours, if true, would make

Walmart a fast favorite store to shop in.

Thank you very much!!

Vincent in Nashville

And thier reply...

Hi Vincent,

Beginning in August, over 900 of the private label "Great Value" brand

products will be identified as gluten free.  Look for the indication

below the nutritional label.

Thank you for shopping with us!

- Wal-Mart Corporate Communications

:D

- Vincent -

Guest barbara3675

Was amazed to get a reply from WalMart in the same day that I emailed them. For a HUGE corporation, they are on the ball. Barbara

Now if we can get them to stop injecting their meats with a solution, we will be in good shape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, I don't shop at sprawlmart ever but I have to know what this means. What are they doing to their meat?? What on earth is it being injected with?

Also, Barbara3675, do you live up by Hayward by any chance? I live in Chippewa.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "

- Hunter S. Thompson

Guest GITRDONE

This is great step for us celiac disease's. I just wrote them a "atta boy"" email. I am going to write Safeway & IGA to see if they can't do the same, before it is mandatory. It sure would make shopping for something "new" thats safe for us not so time consuming.

:D Susan

Michelle,

does this law mean all foods will have to display if they have wheat?

But, even if they say they have no wheat, I guess there's no guarantee on HOW the food is prepared?

Does Walmart's gluten free label mean the food also was not processed with other foods containing gluten????

Guest barbara3675

Frenchiemama----I really don't know where Chipewa is, but I live in Conover which is north of Eagle River and about 10 minutes south of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I am waaaaaaaaaaay up there. My original home is Janesville and I go there often as my children, parents and friends still live there. Nice to know where people are from, now when ever I see a post from you, I will think of you as a fellow Wisconsinite.

Barbara

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

YAY!!! I live ten minutes from the nearest Walmart.

I found the MSNBC article in the Celiac Community on Livejournal, and saw (I think) on of the Whole Foods creators' pictures. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think there may be some good Whole Foods brand products coming to Wally World.